The Olympic Games: Athens 2004 (4 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003

108 years after the first modern Olympic Games, the 28th Olympiad will return to its roots to be held in Athens.

From the 13th to 29th of August, 10,500 athletes from all over the world will compete for glory in 28 sports.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2
    Now I may be jumping the gun just a little, but i opened this thread because the first bit of interesting news AFAIC has emerged

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - World record-holder Ian Thorpe likely lost a chance to defend his 400-meter freestyle title in the Athens Olympics after being disqualified in the Australian trials.

Thorpe fell off the starting blocks Saturday on the first day of the eight-day Australian trials. He said he heard a noise, disrupting his concentration.

But Thorpe's appeal to Australian Swimming officials was later dismissed. Under Australia's strict qualification policy, only the two fastest swimmers in each race final qualify for the Olympics.

There was no immediate comment from the 21-year-old Thorpe on whether he might appeal the case to a higher jurisdiction.

Thorpe appeared to overbalance on the blocks and fell into the water before the official start of his heat. He then got out of the pool and returned to the blocks with the rest of the competitors.

But meet referee John Keppie walked over to Thorpe's No. 4 block and disqualified him, surprising the small crowd at the center. Thorpe appeared stunned as he walked off the pool deck.

Thorpe's manager, Dave Flaskas, said the Olympic, world and Commonwealth champion heard a noise before he fell into the water.

Thorpe has dominated world 400-meter freestyle swimming since becoming the youngest male world champion at the age of 15.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the issue that's got everyone in Australia talking at the moment is the fact that a swimmer named Craig Stevens, who qualified for the 400m event, can allow the Thorpedo to compete in the event if Stevens steps aside (forfeits his entry in that event).

It was on the radio this morning, and people were calling up, some saying that Stevens should step aside and let Thorpe swim, since we want to send our best squad.

My opinion? Utter rubbish. Sure, Thorpe has a much better chance of winning gold than Craig Stevens, but rules are rules, and Stevens has trained as hard as anyone else, and he qualified fair and square. There's no way he should feel any obligation to step aside and let Thorpe compete. Sure, Thorpe is undoubtedly the better swimmer, but i'll be totally pissed off if Stevens offers to step aside and Thorpe accepts the offer. Hopefully he'll be more gracious than that.

Truth be told, there's a fair chance I'll be cheering for Pieter van den Hoogenband now :D

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    here in greece it's pretty much obvious that everyone is too worried if we are going to be ready for the olympics,but i think we will do great as a country

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    i feel sorry for stevens. :rofl: thorpe made himself look like an amatuer!!

\o/ van den hoogenband!! i love saying his name.....:p

i saw on espn, some of the venues arent finished yet :eek: and they've decided not to put the roof for aquatics coz not enuf time. WTF??!

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Yeah, they're in a fair bit of trouble AFAIK. If there's not adequate cover in the arenas, many events will have a hard time getting off the ground.

Maybe they should use the excuse of "going back to roots" and just totally downgrade everything, simulating what the very fist olympics were like. Take away all the fancy clothes and shoes and sporting arenas, they should compete OLD-SCHOOL :thumb:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    What exactly is the problem with Thorpe falling into the pool in the first place? It seems stupid to disqualify him on that basis.

There is no debate as to whether Thorpe should be allowed compete, or should the other guy step aside. Thorpe was disqualified, and if that was correct under the rules, so beit.

The question that has to be asked here is the necessity for the rule, and whether it should be removed or not. You can't apply such a rule change rectroactively.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    Exactly. The rule is what should be brought into question, not the other guy's status in the team

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I wouldn't get my hopes up about the Olympic Games. The Greeks are 5 months behind on schedule in building stadiums etc. :howler:

Where are the Germans when you need them, eh? :(

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++
    i saw on espn, some of the venues arent finished yet :eek: and they've decided not to put the roof for aquatics coz not enuf time. WTF??!
    Anyone ever seen 2DTV on the Beeb? It's a cartoon of sketches. In one of them, they had Bin Laden and two croneys digging under one of the venues.
    OBL "Right, by my calculations, we should be under one of the venues now. Let's plant the bomb, and reduce it to rubble"
    Lacky <pokes his head up to have a look>"But it's already rubble."
    <Greek builder lifts his head just long enough to make a sandwich, before going back to sleep on his box of booze>:D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Where are the Germans when you need them, eh? :(
    Germany, I would imagine. It might be hard to believe, but they don't spend all of their time rolling over the whole of mainland Europe. ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    That's what you think. They happen to find Holland a very popular holiday resort :sigh:
    Not just Germany. :groan: They like to fence off scenic areas of Ireland too. They seem to be unable to comprehend the concept of a traditional right of way. Oh, and the English never stop moaing about the whole beach towel routine. I remember at EURO 2000, a British reporter pointing out how a German crew had taped off an area for their news vans- a metaphoric towel so to speak. ;)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Not just Germany. :groan: They like to fence off scenic areas of Ireland too. They seem to be unable to comprehend the concept of a traditional right of way. Oh, and the English never stop moaing about the whole beach towel routine. I remember at EURO 2000, a British reporter pointing out how a German crew had taped off an area for their news vans- a metaphoric towel so to speak. ;)
    Hehehe :D It's true you know! They dig pits on the beach as well. Literally dig a canal around 'their' spot. Morons. So much for being social and having fun together.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    They dig pits on the beach as well. Literally dig a canal around 'their' spot.
    If there was more than one decent sandy beach on this whole island, I imagine I'd know that from experience. :)

Morons. So much for being social and having fun together.
    Fun is detrimental to efficiency. Social time must be spent efficiency to maximise relaxation time.:p

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    If there was more than one decent sandy beach on this whole island, I imagine I'd know that from experience. :)
    Rocks?

Fun is detrimental to efficiency. Social time must be spent efficiency to maximise relaxation time.:p
    My GOD. I can see why you are going to Germany on exchange.

Let me ask you something (this always says a lot about the culture of a country), when you make an appointment with someone at 3pm, at what time do you arrive at the agreed upon location?

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002

Anyone ever seen 2DTV on the Beeb? It's a cartoon of sketches. In one of them, they had Bin Laden and two croneys digging under one of the venues.
    OBL "Right, by my calculations, we should be under one of the venues now. Let's plant the bomb, and reduce it to rubble"
    Lacky <pokes his head up to have a look>"But it's already rubble."
    <Greek builder lifts his head just long enough to make a sandwich, before going back to sleep on his box of booze>:D
    :howler:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Rocks?
    Tonnes of them. Billions of cubic tonnes. ;)

My GOD. I can see why you are going to Germany on exchange.
    Was the smile not enough? Must I post a [/PISSTAKE] tag as well?

Internship by the way, not exchange, and only maybe. :D

Let me ask you something (this always says a lot about the culture of a country), when you make an appointment with someone at 3pm, at what time do you arrive at the agreed upon location?
    Me, 2:55pm

Your average Irishman, 4:15

a.m.

The following week.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001

Tonnes of them. Billions of cubic tonnes. ;)

Was the smile not enough? Must I post a [/PISSTAKE] tag as well?

Internship by the way, not exchange, and only maybe. :D
    Judging by what you wrote after that, I'd say you'll fit right in ;)

Me, 2:55pm
    This I mean!

Your average Irishman, 4:15

a.m.

The following week.
    MUCH better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)