The Official Tennis Thread (6 Viewers)

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Stan the man. Seriously, i don't know why im still counting him out in these slams, guy always gets fired up in these big events. Tbh, he has very favourable path to the final, beating Zverev should not be an issue by no means and then against Nadal/Thiem anything is possible but beating Djoko on the final, can't see it happening.

Buy on AliExpress.com

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
wow thiem :bow: when he missed that easy forehand at match point, i thought he'd collapse, but nadal lost it for him at the end. pretty rare sight to see anyone more clutch than nadal, or nadal being less clutch than anybody else, but that's what happened today. 3/3 tie breaks can't be a coincidence. great defending too from thiem. good job.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Seems like it was a great match. Nadal Thiem are the masters of clay derby. Although they're still great on hard court. I wish I'd have watched that match and Wawrinka Zverev. I'll check the highlights

Djokovic is going to beat Federer sadly

Last edited:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
it's 2-0 now and since djokovic only lost 1 single best of 5 matches when he won the first 2 sets, federer needs a miracle.

too bad for roger, nadal will catch him in may...
I don't think Nadal will win the French open this season. Thiem is hot on clay.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Nole is freaking monster. He looks like he ain't doing anything special, except hits the ball extremely well with a great margin above the net, on the lines, moves like an animal and has great angles on his serves with the great following shots and of course, probably the best return of the game. It looks so easy or let's say, looks like a basic tennis but then again, making something difficult to look easy is a skill as well.

Federer had some stupid excuses on the press conference, like how he wasn't able to walk on ATP final tour on London and he was hurt in this match but the fact is, he's 38 and he should realize his body doesn't work in the same way as he was 25. It cannot be any major injury since he finished the match and actually played pretty damn well. Guy should just swallow it like a man, accept the fact that he's 38 and playing young man's game against all the guys on their prime and still beating them most of the time. If he had fractured toe or his back was hurting or he had some kind of shoulder pain, it's all about the age and using age as an excuse when it's completely his decision to keep playing(+ some kind of deal to play certain amount of time because of that new sponsorship deal with Uniqlo), so he should just fucking accept it because it's inevitable.

Thiem-Zverev gonna be interesting. Most of the people think Thiem is going to just blank him 3-0, but i except way tougher match than that. There's actually a chance Zverev might go through, but i'd rather have Thiem on the final for a better match up on sunday.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Thiem-Zverev gonna be interesting. Most of the people think Thiem is going to just blank him 3-0, but i except way tougher match than that. There's actually a chance Zverev might go through, but i'd rather have Thiem on the final for a better match up on sunday.
i actually think zverev has a good chance today. unfortunately i can't watch the match, but i expect a close battle, especially if zverev can play a low risk game quick enough.

also, both already beat djokovic several times. thiem won 4 of their last 5 meetings, zverev beat djokovic in both finals they previously played, so it won't be a walk in the park for djokovic either way.

- - - Updated - - -

They are going to leave a void. But maybe that's what's needed for the next gen to step up

Still not many new players I like. There's Medvedev, Thiem, no others
i don't like either of them honestly :D looking at all those young guys, kyrgios is a fucking idiot, i find it hard not to cheer for him, but otherwise, this new guard lack personality for me. big forehand, stable baseline game, very high level, but boring tennis. i miss the entertaining players like santoro, arazi, rafter, safin, or federer for that matter. too bad kyrgios is a textbook idiot, he's at least fun to watch.

Last edited:

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
i actually think zverev has a good chance today. unfortunately i can't watch the match, but i expect a close battle, especially if zverev can play a low risk game quick enough.

also, both already beat djokovic several times. thiem won 4 of their last 5 meetings, zverev beat djokovic in both finals they previously played, so it won't be a walk in the park for djokovic either way.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't like either of them honestly :D looking at all those young guys, kyrgios is a fucking idiot, i find it hard not to cheer for him, but otherwise, this new guard lack personality for me. big forehand, stable baseline game, very high level, but boring tennis. i miss the entertaining players like santoro, arazi, rafter, safin, or federer for that matter. too bad kyrgios is a textbook idiot, he's at least fun to watch.
I mainly like Medvedev since the US Open final against Nadal. He was incredible.

But yeah, Federer is my all time favourite with Delpo a close second (fucking injuries man)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
delpo :heart:

thiem just won a pretty close match. i managed to watch a good 20 minutes of the match during the lunch break, i saw the 3rd set tie break, and he was clutch af. good luck to him in the final.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Djokovic - Thiem is way better than Djokovic vs Zverev would have been. I don't know, if Thiem somehow wins this he actually has a chance at Ronald Garros as well, so would be weird if he actually won the first 2 slams of the year but that's so far from happening that shouldn't even be talked about. Only concern for me for Thiem against Djokovic is that he plays so far out and Djokovic is at his best for taking ball early and having great angles, just like he did to Nadal last year. All the returns from Thiem are so far back that it leaves the court whole open for Nole, so there's a big chance that Thiem is just returning way far and kind of playing himself out even he manages to get on the ball. They both like to play behind the baseline and not really feeling it on the net, so we are going to see alot of baseline hitting and Thiem can actually hurt Djokovic from there with the amount of power he can produce. There's a definitely a chance for Thiem, that little window but because the point starts with the serve, i think Djokovic just has better returns and better following shots so it might not be possible for Thiem to actually get behind the ball that often as he would like to so therefore, it's most likely 3-1 to Djokovic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)