The Official Poker fans thread (6 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Yeah 52 cards.

Here a nice example of the mental calculations good players do. You probably don't understand all the terms used, but you'll get the hang. :)

Bob figures that there are 15 cards in the deck that would make his hand very strong.Any eight or three would make a straight, and any diamond would make a flush. There are 9 remaining diamonds in the deck and 4 threes and 4 eights. He can't count the three of diamonds or eight of diamonds twice since those would make the flush, not the straight, so that gives 9 outs to the flush and six outs to the straight. Bob can see 6 of the 52 cards in the deck, so there are 46 possible cards that could be dealt on the river. This means that 32% of the time (15/46), the next card will make his hand very strong, and likely to win the showdown. Bob counts the money in the pot, which totals $130. If he calls, the pot will be $170. 32% of the time his $40 investment will win a pot of at least $170. The remaining 68% of the time his hand stays weak, and he knows he will fold to any bets made in the next round, so 68% of the time he will lose $40. The expected value for calling is (32 x $170) - (68 * $40) = $5440 - $2720 = +$2720. It is clearly profitable in the long run for Bob to call the $40.
Yeah, this kind of thing is what would make a game interesting. I just didn't think it happened in poker. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I love to play Hold'em with my friends while internet playing is not that interesting for me cuz I don't have the same feeling like I have when play with friends.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
i used to play poker with my friends on camping trips yet they never fully taught me how to play so i know most of it yet i don't know the hands well. The funny thing tho is i always win by luck. I don't use math or plan or anything i just always get dealt awesome hands and win. I am terrible at the game but ive probably come out on top over 500$ just by luck.

OP
Snoop

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
  • Thread Starter #25
    Hold' em is a totally different game Marty. It's all about possibilities and mind games. not to forget the body language and learning the game of the opponents the way they are acting in each game. Best card game ever, I am not talking about those dice games or spinning to win something. Sure it depends on luck, but you can win it even with the worst ever card on the table.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I got into hold'em back in 2004 when I went to Sweden. They're absolutely nuts about it so I had to learn. I was the guy who would give everyone back their money if I won :D So I like to play for fun.

If you guys want to play online, then count me in ;)

OP
    Snoop

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
  • Thread Starter #28
    that's the shit I am talking about.

I am in too. I will add a list on the first page, and we can do it online. that would be greatness. but I can't play anywhere else than bwin.com there are tournaments out there, entrance fee starts with 1$ available for 10 persons.

what you think
    please discuss!

frzl

Apr 15, 2006
    sry for digging out such an old thread but i just had to do it because poker is such a wonderful game. i´m playing online since about two years now and i started with a german "pokerschool" which gave me 150$ for free and teached me how to play (i guess i´m not allowed to post the link, am i ? ^^). i think that this was one of the better decission in my life ;)
    i´m studying right now and because of poker i don´t have to work during my holidays.

so despite the fact that the thread is a bit older i hope that there are still some other players right ? ^^
    which sites do you use and which limits do you play ? are you watching poker at tv and do you have something like a "favourite player" ?

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    hold em is great i get together with my cousins mates and we play, we play for money but not a lot maybe at mose a 90$ pot (10$ each) i havent been playing long but its great fun and im starting to get pretty good. i sometimes play online but i dont really like doing that playing in real life is so much better.

a good online game thats free and real money is definetly full tilt

Jun 26, 2007
    I have only played in real life up to now, always NL Texas Hold'em 5 to 20€ buy-in. I started studying books about 2 weeks ago. Right now I'm mainly focussing on The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky (pretty heavy stuff but a must read).

My favourite pro's are Barry Greenstein, Ted Forrest & Johnny Chan.

Jun 13, 2007
    I have only played in real life up to now, always NL Texas Hold'em 5 to 20€ buy-in. I started studying books about 2 weeks ago. Right now I'm mainly focussing on The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky (pretty heavy stuff but a must read).

My favourite pro's are Barry Greenstein, Ted Forrest & Johnny Chan.
    I really like Negreanu, Sam Farha, and Antonious. I think Negreanu is a very clever player, an absolutely incredible reader of what hand the opponent has. The guy on your avatar is also a very good player.

OP
    Snoop

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
  • Thread Starter #35
    Any of the arabs out there play 6erneeb?? thats a good card game:D
    Tarneeb is for kids man :D

Trix isn't bad, but the real mother fucking game is Blot, I don't know how you spell it, but that's the mother of all games.

OP
    Snoop

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
  • Thread Starter #40
    You know that? I play it once a week, but I hate the fact that it is all planned game (with the partner), no room for surprises, I mean every move you make has a meaning a sign.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)