The Official MMA Thread (5 Viewers)

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
I know I might sound biased, but don't you guys think that if the ref was Herb or Mazogatti instead of Rosenthal, we would've seen the belt with Carwin?

I mean I've seen a lot of fights that were ended when the fighter couldn't defend himself properly and yesterday Lesnar was curled up in a fucking ball and for a couple of seconds there he wasn't defending himself at all. I've seen a lot of TKOs like this.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Well some refs consider what Lesner did, covering and turning his head into the blows to be defending one's self. True Lesner did stop moving for small amounts of time, but never really long enough to warrant a stoppage. At the same time Carwin wasn't really doing damage with his ground and pound. As he just about completely gassed himself just after the knock down.

I've never liked Carwin because he's simply a 1 round fighter. I don't like Lesnar either, but I felt if it went past the 1st we'd see Brock have more in the tank.

I've felt for a long time that fighters like Mir, Lesnar, and Carwin ruin the heavy weight division. These guys all walk around at about 300 lbs and cut weight to get to 265.25. So guys like Coutoure and Velasquez can't really compete with the size.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
i never thought lesner was rolled in a way that suggested he quit or was done....he kept active..
Aaron very right about those heavy heavyweights....i think the best solution would be to create another weightclass between heavyweights and lightheavyweights...there is no other option and i dont think lesnar,carwin or mir would like to cut lower than 245..

very sad to see mauricio shogun rua badly injured AGAIN and out for a long time :(

OP
.zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #287
    All I have to say is that I hope Silva obliterates Sonnen and Cain is going to die when he fights Brock.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #291
    Even better, its on my bday too :weee:

BTW, I have another rant to go on.

Junior Dos Santos is the best striker in the heavyweight division since the great Arlovski. But sadly he and Cain stand no chance against Brock. The only fighter that can beat Brock is Carwin. The rematch should have been immediately announced. But now I say let Junior and Cain fight to determine who fights Carwin. Thus giving the illusion that it was legit. But honestly, Junior should move down to 205. The LHW division would suit him more and make the already best class in the UFC even better.

Of all the 205'ers, I don't see anyone beating Shogun except Anderson (since he's moved up and Machida no longer holds the belt). Also Jon Jones needs to fight someone of significance so he can begin his title run. Machida-Shogun 3 could also be a possibility in 2011 if Shogun still has the belt. But the most volatile division in the UFC is still hard to call.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #293
    Werdum wants Fedor rematch in Russia

Fabricio Werdum wants to prove his dominance over the soon-to-be-former-No. 1 heavyweight once and for all by doing it again in hostile territory, but Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker doesn't share the sentiment.
    Werdum spoke to Sherdog.com about his desire for a rematch with Fedor Emelianenko:

Emelianenko lost to Werdum in 69 seconds last month at Strikeforce's show in San Jose. The result likely will shake up the next edition of the USA TODAY/SB Nation consensus rankings, which currently list Emelianenko at No. 1 and Werdum in the No. 9 slot.
    Although Werdum and Emelianenko's management company, M-1 Global share a desire for a rematch, Strikeforce officials want Emelianenko to fight someone else first. Coker is scheduled to speak with M-1 this weekend about Emelianenko's next bout.
    "They're pushing for Fabricio Werdum, and I just don't know if that fight makes a whole lot of sense next," Coker told Fighting Stances this week. "As we start negotiating the date and who he's fighting, I'm sure that we have a lot to work through."
    Talks with M-1 historically have been an arduous process for U.S. promotions. Whether Emelianenko's loss will make things easier remains unknown, Coker said.
    "What I do know is that Fabricio's already beaten Fedor," Coker said. "I think the negotiations will be very interesting. They're always very interesting with M-1. ... I think the Lost in Translation movie -- that's kind of what I feel with the negotiations or renegotiations at some point. There's a cultural barrier and a language barrier, and then you put those two things together, I think some things become lost in translation."
    Injuries could decide the issue. Werdum has said he plans to undergo elbow surgery and subsequent physical therapy that probably will keep him out until next year.
    (UPDATE, 2:18 p.m. ET: Werdum may not be out for long, manager Richard Wilner tells Sherdog.com. If the fighter undergoes surgery, it would only be minor, according to Wilner)
    Meanwhile, potential opponents for Emelianenko could include Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem, No. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva or Sergei Kharitonov, a Pride Fighting Championships veteran who has yet to make his debut for Strikeforce.
    "Whether it's Overeem or whether it's Kharitonov or whether it's 'Bigfoot' Silva, or anybody that we put Fedor in the ring next to ... I think we'd rather see another fight before he fights Fabricio, instead of getting a rematch," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told Fighting Stances this week. "Bigfoot Silva and Fedor, that would be another great fight."
    Silva, a former champion of EliteXC, has won seven of his last eight fights. His only defeat since the start of 2007 came in November, when he lost a decision to Werdum.
    The promotion also needs to find an opponent for Overeem, who finally made his first title defense with a win over Brett Rogers in May, two-and-a-half years after winning the Strikeforce belt.
    "I'd like to see Overeem fight 'Bigfoot Silva, I'd like to see Overeem, when Fabricio Werdum is healthy, fight him," Coker said. "I'd like to see Overeem fight Fedor at this point. I'd like to see, maybe even Overeem fight Kharitonov at some point."

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...edor-rematch-in-russia/1?loc=interstitialskip
    This is interesting

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #299
    I haven't given my take on the last 2 UFC cards so here we go

Jon Jones is the brightest star in the UFC and I've mentioned him before in this thread for said reason: the kid is gonna be the best 205-er ever

UFC 117 was great. Sonnen talks the talk but no one told him that the fight lasts 25 minutes.

Here are the Gracie's breaking down Silva's methodical win over Sonnen:

Here is Sergio Non's take on the fight:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...lvas-ufc-117-victory-a-triumph-of-technique/1

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #300
    Sad to see Penn lose to Edgars but there was no doubt who was the true champ. Edgars silenced the doubters after the controversial decision back in the spring. Not so controversial now I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)