The official coding thread (2 Viewers)

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
I wanna improve my Python skills for data analysis purposes.
My job involves a lot of data crunching, but luckily we have commercial statistical software licenses that make it super easy to analyze tons of data. In the long term, that can be a crutch though.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 7, 2003
e02gucp3mu271.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I wanna improve my Python skills for data analysis purposes.
My job involves a lot of data crunching, but luckily we have commercial statistical software licenses that make it super easy to analyze tons of data. In the long term, that can be a crutch though.
Python is crazy to not offer switch-case statement, otherwise very powerful. I had projects with Flask Framework, is nice. Also simple scripts are nice and webscraping and that stuff, is actually fun only the tab and spaces thing can get on the nerves

Last edited:

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
C easier than C++? From what I remember in college, C++ seemed pretty doable. But FUCK C, I hate that language.
to me all of them are difficult coz at least basic maths is required for programming and i never interested in math.

Nejc

May 13, 2006
C easier than C++? From what I remember in college, C++ seemed pretty doable. But FUCK C, I hate that language.
I helped my ex employer write some software for arduino which uses some sort of C/C++, felt like a caveman after using Swift almost exclusively for years now.

Also analysed some 3rd party iOS framework written in Objective-C last week, made my eyes bleed.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
to me all of them are difficult coz at least basic maths is required for programming and i never interested in math.
This is why I stopped majoring in computer science in college, I was NEVER going to pass Calculus I and II as required for the degree. In practice though, you could code just fine with basic math knowledge.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
c++ for beginner

- - - Updated - - -

e02gucp3mu271.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Python is crazy to not offer switch-case statement, otherwise very powerful. I had projects with Flask Framework, is nice. Also simple scripts are nice and webscraping and that stuff, is actually fun only the tab and spaces thing can get on the nerves
63792.jpg

Last edited:

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Math is what separates a great programmer from an average programmer.
I have an engineering background, but limited coding experience.
How much math do you need to write sophisticated code? I guess linear algebra is important, but what about stuff like calculus and probability?
Or do you think having the right mindset and analytical problem solving skills is more important?

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
How much math do you need to write sophisticated code? I guess linear algebra is important, but what about stuff like calculus and probability?
Or do you think having the right mindset and analytical problem solving skills is more important?
im not expert mate. Honestly at least basic maths is required for programming. bunch of classes like linear algebra, discrete mathematics, mathematic analysis etc. When it comes to large programs, it requires spatial abilities because most of the code consists in building blocks connected to each other, like a huge lego construction.

Nejc

May 13, 2006
99% percent od the time you will not need any complex math, with python you should also get good 3rd party frameworks that support math functions so most likely you won’t write any yourself. Unless your employer prevents you from using 3rd party code.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
99% percent od the time you will not need any complex math, with python you should also get good 3rd party frameworks that support math functions so most likely you won’t write any yourself. Unless your employer prevents you from using 3rd party code.
it's actually a float(int) == float(int) situation
To create a donut, open the website, copy the source code, then paste and run.

Jun 7, 2003
I'm working for years in the programming sector, all you need is STRG+C and STRG+V. Stackoverflow will help you in any problem.
At the beginning it is very hard to understand it all but with the right mindset and practice and a lot of patience you will get there.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Yeah, no one is getting hired because they are html and css gurus, if they don't have Javascript skills. Javascript has come a long way, used all over the stack these days.
that's true, I'm finding out for myself now. javascript is interesting but it's a bit complicated at least in the beginning. I started the first week of a javascript web development boot camp. the first week has been about HTML and CSS and that's all the attention its getting, the main bulk of the course is javascript.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
that's true, I'm finding out for myself now. javascript is interesting but it's a bit complicated at least in the beginning. I started the first week of a javascript web development boot camp. the first week has been about HTML and CSS and that's all the attention its getting, the main bulk of the course is javascript.
A local one or online?

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Local one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck to you man. I'm self teaching myself the same thing and I feel like having that instructor to talk to about more difficult concepts will benefit you greatly.

If you ever feel the need to practice, I recommend the challenges here. Some are just HTML and CSS, others include JavaScript.
https://www.frontendmentor.io/

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Good luck to you man. I'm self teaching myself the same thing and I feel like having that instructor to talk to about more difficult concepts will benefit you greatly.

If you ever feel the need to practice, I recommend the challenges here. Some are just HTML and CSS, others include JavaScript.
https://www.frontendmentor.io/
Thank you so very much, it's very kind of you bro:))) I wish you good luck too, going down the self taught route is brave and I'm sure you will be suceed. I actually did some self teaching for the past year but I struggled with not knowing if I was coding correctly or not. I did some codeacademy specially with HTML and CSS but once you watch a couple of tutorials I felt that I knew nothing which was de-motivating . What finally pushed me to sign up to a boot camp in Moscow where I reside was: 1 code review
2 portfolio prep

I do enjoy the challenge, but the main reason I choose web development is: 1 job market
2 I don't need to be fluent in Russian, which is a hard language ( I speak and read , however writing is my Achilles heel)

I'm still a beginner ( as far as js is) , however if I find some cool/helpful resources that might help you or others on this path I'd gladly share .

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
There was an entrance exam, and I had to solve some js ( basic stuff like for loops, array, and functions ) on codewars. A word of advice, when searching for level 8 Kyu problems to solve make sure not to search for the latest because they are technically 6 Kyu level ( hope I'm making sense not some crazy newbie ) so yeah it's a good place to practice some JavaScript just watch out for the above because I was so close to not joining because I felt this was impossible, luckily the people in charge with communicating with students explained how the ones to solve are the older adds not the latest uploaded questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)