The NHL Thread (17 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Dougie Hamilton just got traded to Calgary?

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously Serge?

:sergio:
What. I forgot. And I'm ill prepared. And I won't be able to watch it tonight anyway. Date night with my lady.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anybody even KNOW that Dougie Hamilton was on the block?

What the fuck did the bruins just do? And that was the BEST they could get for a 22 year old stud in the making?

Wow. @Rollie We had our Scott Gomez trade, and well, you now have this.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
What are the Bruins doing?

If they are trying to package all of these picks to get that defenseman from BC, they better hurry up and do it now.

And they didn't even save that much cap space. The bruins are still paying half of Lucic's salary this year.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
:lol:

if we don,t get the guy we wanted at #26 we'll trade it for a couple of 2nd's.

- - - Updated - - -

Poor McDavid, ask for trade now!

- - - Updated - - -

:rofl: @bruins 3 straight picks.

- - - Updated - - -

fuck you Vancouver.

- - - Updated - - -

Get Roy and get it over with. Merkley ain't bad either. Sprong could be a surprise pick but doubt it. Juulsen maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

it is.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Yeah, I'm pretty gutted over here boys. As if losing Carlitos, and Andrea wasn't enough.

Stubborn about the bridge deal. More ego in the front office. 3 first round picks is about the last thing I want for a rookie GM.

Anyway, shitty day -- have a good night, lads.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Dougie Hamilton just got traded to Calgary?

Did anybody even KNOW that Dougie Hamilton was on the block?

What the fuck did the bruins just do? And that was the BEST they could get for a 22 year old stud in the making?

Wow. @Rollie We had our Scott Gomez trade, and well, you now have this.
We also had our Joe Thornton trade. And our Tyler Seguin trade. The Johnny Boychuk deal? Just another terrible fucking deal, Sweeney is trying to drive me into an early grave.

Love Dougie. Absolutely love him, he's a class act all the way, developing so well... with so much more room for growth. He's on the verge of becoming a dominant player in the next 2-3 years. It's sickening for me. It really is.

Wish him the best in Calgary.

What are the Bruins doing?

If they are trying to package all of these picks to get that defenseman from BC, they better hurry up and do it now.

And they didn't even save that much cap space. The bruins are still paying half of Lucic's salary this year.
That's all I was thinking early in the day -- they've already got something in the works, they know they're moving up. Last thing in the world you want is a rookie GM taking 6 players in the first 2 rounds, wtf are they doing over there? Jumping for that kid at 15, the 3rd liner who was ranked around 40, when you've got three 2nd round picks, including #37? I'm not on top of the junior scene at all these days, but it's a brutal M.O. in my opinion.

Always maintained it was a stupid move to fire Chiarelli, but this certainly drives that point home.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
We also had our Joe Thornton trade. And our Tyler Seguin trade. The Johnny Boychuk deal? Just another terrible fucking deal, Sweeney is trying to drive me into an early grave.

Love Dougie. Absolutely love him, he's a class act all the way, developing so well... with so much more room for growth. He's on the verge of becoming a dominant player in the next 2-3 years. It's sickening for me. It really is.

Wish him the best in Calgary.

That's all I was thinking early in the day -- they've already got something in the works, they know they're moving up. Last thing in the world you want is a rookie GM taking 6 players in the first 2 rounds, wtf are they doing over there? Jumping for that kid at 15, the 3rd liner who was ranked around 40, when you've got three 2nd round picks, including #37? I'm not on top of the junior scene at all these days, but it's a brutal M.O. in my opinion.

Always maintained it was a stupid move to fire Chiarelli, but this certainly drives that point home.

I don't even really listen to sports radio here in Boston anymore, as they have taken the 2Pac "Me against the world" line of thinking to a whole new level of absurdity, but I felt compelled to see what everyone has to say.

They are all a bunch of Janna's right now

They don't get it". And to be honest, neither do I. The way I look at this, there were a couple of mistakes here.

#1) If Hamilton is on the market, the least you could do is create a bidding war. For the opportunity to get a 22 year old stud in the making, there would be several teams that would bid against each other to get him. We are talking about Dougie Hamilton here. And from what I heard, they wouldn't even allow Edmonton to make an offer? Really? That front office is really that mad at Chiarelli, who looks like a genius by the way considering that he held his ground on the Cam Talbot trade and got a hell of a goalie for basically a 2nd and a 3rd. I simply don't understand how you don't initiate a bidding war.

#2) In my opinion, I honestly think that the front office was caught by surprise by the fact that they couldn't unload all of those draft picks to move up to get that d-man from BC. I feel that they didn't do their homework and re-organize their draft board once they realized that the trade wasn't going to happen, and they stuck to a draft board that was created BEFORE those trades were made. There were certainly better prospects they could have taken that were still on the board.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Parenteau on waivers and be bought out.

Belesky is UFA. I'd take him for less than 4m. Not more.
Sharp and Backes could be available. Do your job Marc.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Parenteau on waivers and be bought out.

Belesky is UFA. I'd take him for less than 4m. Not more.
Sharp and Backes could be available. Do your job Marc.
Patrick Sharp? Isn't he 34 or something? No thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean David Backes? At least that makes a lot more sense

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I don't even really listen to sports radio here in Boston anymore, as they have taken the 2Pac "Me against the world" line of thinking to a whole new level of absurdity, but I felt compelled to see what everyone has to say.

They are all a bunch of Janna's right now

They don't get it". And to be honest, neither do I. The way I look at this, there were a couple of mistakes here.

(#1) If Hamilton is on the market, the least you could do is create a bidding war. For the opportunity to get a 22 year old stud in the making, there would be several teams that would bid against each other to get him. We are talking about Dougie Hamilton here. And from what I heard, they wouldn't even allow Edmonton to make an offer? Really? That front office is really that mad at Chiarelli, who looks like a genius by the way considering that he held his ground on the Cam Talbot trade and got a hell of a goalie for basically a 2nd and a 3rd. I simply don't understand how you don't initiate a bidding war.
The situation is totally absurd. Obviously different, but reminds me of when O'Connell traded Thornton in the sense that the next day he was all "I had a dream last night that I traded Joe Thornton", and the rest of the GM's in the league were like, "wait, Joe Thornton was available?"

GMs usually don't give themselves a shot at a proper return on quality players if they don't let the other GM's around the league know of availability, and open it up to more offers. This is a highly coveted player, I think he could turn into a top 5-10 D-Man in the league, and if you let him go you absolutely have to get great value in return. It's gutting, bud.

Let's be clear that PC blew the Seguin trade, he made a poor calculation with the Boychuk trade, but that's not a good reason to fire the guy who helped change the culture, and was coming off a Cup, another trip to the Finals, and a President's trophy in the last 5 years. Not too shabby, not at all.

If he makes the playoffs last year, he doesn't lose his job. We're talking 2 points, and it's absolutely ludicrous. This is ego driven, eScape Goat style bullshit from on high. PC is a great GM, Edmonton is going to totally turn the corner.

#2) In my opinion, I honestly think that the front office was caught by surprise by the fact that they couldn't unload all of those draft picks to move up to get that d-man from BC. I feel that they didn't do their homework and re-organize their draft board once they realized that the trade wasn't going to happen, and they stuck to a draft board that was created BEFORE those trades were made. There were certainly better prospects they could have taken that were still on the board.
This is it, buddy. You know they had to be trying to move up to get that kid.

He tried to move up, and you're right, ducks weren't in a row. Sweeney blew it, there's no way to sugar coat that, it doesn't make any sense otherwise. I don't know the junior scene well, but working back through rankings, it does look like they were operating off a second round draft board. And I hate hearing him talk about how (to paraphrase), 'this process is all about getting the scouts excited, getting the players they want, letting them have some fun and feel rewarded for their work".

NO, DON. This process is about building a fucking balanced, competitive team, because most of the core was intact, and with a few select additions/subtractions and a little player development, this team is not that far away from being right back in contention.

Anyway, the draft is an inexact science, who knows, a few of the picks could turn out. In the meantime, though, Sweeney and, let's face it, Neely, have got a ton of work to do.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Sharp would be our 1st RW here for a couple of years easy. No question. :D Depends of the price but yeah, better to look at younger option but not 12 goal scorers though.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Sharp would be our 1st RW here for a couple of years easy. No question. :D Depends of the price but yeah, better to look at younger option but not 12 goal scorers though.
You would have to sign him for 4 years to get two good years out of him.

No thank you. It's more than just a little alarming that his goal production dropped dramatically in his contract year.

Besides, they need a center, and Backes makes a lot more sense. I just don't know if they are going to be able to convince him to come to Montreal.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Sharp and Backes have contracts. Frolik depending of the $$$ he wants is interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Joel Ward is also 34 but UFA and did very well in the playoffs. Another one to watch out for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)