The NHL Thread (8 Viewers)

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Bad day to be a Bruins fan. Shitty loss to our biggest rival, but lads, you know that delay of game/over the glass rule needs a bit of tweaking. Anyway, 'unlucky break' says the announcer, there's the late PP, but great effort all the same.

Worse is that I get a call from my best friend while I'm out to dinner, telling me we got Iginla. TSN says we got Iginla.

We didn't get Iginla. Worse, Pittsburgh got Iginla.

Rus, stop talking shit about Tuukka; the team's defense is very weak right now, we need a couple guys back, others need to step up. Anyway, Krug totally screened him on one goal (fuck, Pandolfo/Caron/Krug - at least three of the guys on the ice for that goal are only borderline NHLers at best, right now), Chara put one into his own net, one shot hit (I think) Seidenberg in the face and then dropped directly down onto... Gallagher's own stick again? Something like that. Basically had an empty net, because Rask was playing the initial shot. These goals weren't really Rask's fault... off the top of my head. Can't remember the others, though.

Anyway, there are problems in Boston right now, injury bug has hit a little bit and the team wasn't playing particularly well in the first place (even though they were racking up points). The team is too dependent on one line right now, and all these 3rd period blown leads are disturbing.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Bad day to be a Bruins fan. Shitty loss to our biggest rival, but lads, you know that delay of game/over the glass rule needs a bit of tweaking. Anyway, 'unlucky break' says the announcer, there's the late PP, but great effort all the same.

Worse is that I get a call from my best friend while I'm out to dinner, telling me we got Iginla. TSN says we got Iginla.

We didn't get Iginla. Worse, Pittsburgh got Iginla.

Rus, stop talking shit about Tuukka; the team's defense is very weak right now, we need a couple guys back, others need to step up. Anyway, Krug totally screened him on one goal (fuck, Pandolfo/Caron/Krug - at least three of the guys on the ice for that goal are only borderline NHLers at best, right now), Chara put one into his own net, one shot hit (I think) Seidenberg in the face and then dropped directly down onto... Gallagher's own stick again? Something like that. Basically had an empty net, because Rask was playing the initial shot. These goals weren't really Rask's fault... off the top of my head. Can't remember the others, though.

Anyway, there are problems in Boston right now, injury bug has hit a little bit and the team wasn't playing particularly well in the first place (even though they were racking up points). The team is too dependent on one line right now, and all these 3rd period blown leads are disturbing.
I actually shut the game off at 4-2, as I was too tired from a rough day, so I can't comment on anything after the 2nd period.

I was stunned to see the Habs pull it off, to be honest with you. And yeah, Rus, stop talking smack about Rask. Can't put the loss squarely on his shoulders.

Habs are banged up as well on the Blue line, Matt. Diaz hasn't come back yet from his concussion, and it looks as if Tinordi might have suffered an injury as well.

The habs need Rene Bourque and especialy Prust back to give them some physicality along with their skill.

Gotta love me some P.K. Subban, though.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Juventino[RUS];4106564 said:
@King of Kings
Thomas > Rask
case closed.
I don't think I ever stated otherwise, Rus.

Hey, Rask choking on a gas pipe against the Habs is nothing but good for me, as far as I'm concerned

- - - Updated - - -

What level is Iginla at now?
3rd line forward for Pittsburgh now in all likelihood, but that is not indicative of his current skill set, it's just that Pittsburgh is so loaded.

They better win that cup this year though.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
3rd line forward for Pittsburgh now in all likelihood, but that is not indicative of his current skill set, it's just that Pittsburgh is so loaded.

They better win that cup this year though.
There has been some talk of 2nd line or even 1st because 'Crosby needs a winger', but I'm interested to see how he will do in their style.

I think Pens are pretty stacked with defensive prospects so can give up picks and Joe Morrow, it's easy to forget how young their forward stars are as well.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Beau Bennett looks pretty good so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, we got Iginlia? Holy fuckballs.

- - - Updated - - -

There has been some talk of 2nd line or even 1st because 'Crosby needs a winger', but I'm interested to see how he will do in their style.

I think Pens are pretty stacked with defensive prospects so can give up picks and Joe Morrow, it's easy to forget how young their forward stars are as well.
He'll probably move around a bit at first and be on one of the PP teams.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I actually shut the game off at 4-2, as I was too tired from a rough day, so I can't comment on anything after the 2nd period.

I was stunned to see the Habs pull it off, to be honest with you. And yeah, Rus, stop talking smack about Rask. Can't put the loss squarely on his shoulders.

Habs are banged up as well on the Blue line, Matt. Diaz hasn't come back yet from his concussion, and it looks as if Tinordi might have suffered an injury as well.

The habs need Rene Bourque and especialy Prust back to give them some physicality along with their skill.

Gotta love me some P.K. Subban, though.
Yeah, brother, I know your boys are nicked up a bit, too. Just a very frustrating game for a B's fan. I'm worried about more than just injuries right now, though.

Boychuk and McQuaid will be back, but Quaider especially has been weak. The D in general, I'll give Dougie all the time in the world, I don't mind the mistakes really - you know they have to be made for him to get better - but he's still obviously not solid enough in his own end yet (and was actually playing the PK the other night). Ference is probably on his way out after this season. Definitely need to acquire a 7th D for the stretch, Krug is not ready, and that combined with his size = really not good for postseason hockey.

As for up front, not sure of the return date from his fractured tibia for Kelly, but he was struggling already. Pevs has been bad since the new contract, Looch as well. Horty hasn't been the same player, but that was kind of expected; it will take time. And I know it sounds silly, but this team never actually replaced Ryder :p No, I'm actually serious. That third line hasn't been the same, and this year it's been pretty brutal. The B's are playing like a one line team most nights (luckily it's a great line), and blowing 3rd period leads every chance they get. PC needs a few solid strokes here, one forward, one solid defenseman, and Soderberg after the Swedish Elite playoffs end. My buddy Lip and I were thinking, jeez, add Iginla for that package + Soderberg, pull a solid D, we're looking pretty darn good, top to bottom. Very disappointing night.

As for PK, Serge, he's just been awesome. Huge step forward, I think the contract situation really helped him get serious, get focused, and grow up a bit. Very much looking forward to watching his development (and that of his bro, too).

With all due respect to Pascal Dupuis, he's effectively on his way back to the third line. Boston had what they thought was a done deal with Calgary, until Iggy decided that he wanted to play with Cros and Malkin. I really don't think the Pens will trade for a player like Iginla, and then plunk him on the third line.

He's got history with Crosby, buddies from when they played on the same line for Team Canada in 2010. They can move Iggy all over the place, his hockey IQ is great, but that chemistry with Sid is guaranteed, and IMO you'll be seeing a ton of Kunitz/Cros/Iggy. Not many games left, seems like he's a rental, I think they'll try and get him comfortable ASAP.

I can see BOS go for Martin St-Louis.
Ooooooooh... I like where this is going. Can you imagine a PP with Seggy and St. Louis working the wall? We haven't had a left handed shot who can set up shop on the right half wall since Savvy... it's something that the team has missed desperately. He's got another year left on his deal, too... I would love me some St. Louis. Probably more than Iggy, actually, because of his ability to make those around him better, and because he would be a massive PP boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)