The NHL Thread (14 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,841
    Ok then explain why he's played like crap in the only two game seven's he's ever been in.

And also explain how the Capitals managed to choke a 3-1 lead. They didn't step up and their defense and goaltending are suspect.
    It's just utter bullshit.

He isn't a leader? OK, then how is he one of the leading forecheckers in the league and always likes to take the man when he doesn't have the puck?

He is a choker? OK, then how did he have 21 points in 14 playoff games last season, ending up 5th in playoff scoring?

Sidney Crosby has been far more of choker with the way he played in 2008. He also isn't even Pittsburgh's best player. And because of that fact, he's got help, unlike Ovechkin in DC.

Give credit to the Habs. They were able to get two guys on Ovie at all times and blocked tons of shots. They deserve praise for how they stopped him, and I'd bet my bank account that Crosby wouldn't have done any better out there in that situation.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    It's just utter bullshit.

He isn't a leader? OK, then how is he one of the leading forecheckers in the league and always likes to take the man when he doesn't have the puck?

He is a choker? OK, then how did he have 21 points in 14 playoff games last season, ending up 5th in playoff scoring?

Sidney Crosby has been far more of choker with the way he played in 2008. He also isn't even Pittsburgh's best player. And because of that fact, he's got help, unlike Ovechkin in DC.

Give credit to the Habs. They were able to get two guys on Ovie at all times and blocked tons of shots. They deserve praise for how they stopped him, and I'd bet my bank account that Crosby wouldn't have done any better out there in that situation.
    I do give credit to the Habs. They played wonderfully.

At the same time several of the Caps were not so good. Most namely Alex Semin and Mike Green. But still with 6 games gone in the series Washington had a chance to kick all that behind and with game 7 at home.

They have in Ovie probably the most talented individual player in the game. A guy who can light things up any game. But in the two biggest games of his career he hasn't.

I don't like Crosby as our captain and I don't think Ovie is a good captain for the Caps. You need someone who's been in the league, had played in big games and can calm the team down or fire them up when needed. Being a leader is more than getting hits galore, Brooks Orpik gets hits. Is he a great leader? Probably not.

In Pittsburgh guys like Gonchar and Scuderi should have been captain way before Sidney.

In Washington "all" they have is Ovie, but that's apparently good enough to score the most points in the league and finish with the best record.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    PS Andy I never said Ovie was a choker. I said the Capitals choked. Which they did.

If Ottawa had come back and beaten the Pens I would call that a choke as well.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,844
    I would say Ovechkin is a good leader for how he conducts his play on the ice, but I would appoint somebody else as captain if someone could do a better job. Unfortunately, the Caps don't have tons of experienced players or leaders. Maybe Knuble is one but he hasn't been there for long. Perhaps Poti would be a better choice, I don't know.

The Caps did choke, but having only one and a half goalscoring line (I give some credit to their second line) is really the bigger issue. They had little production from the 3rd and 4th lines all year and they certainly didn't get any help against the Habs. And yeah, Semin didn't show up either.

Ovechkin carried the team throughout the season and during this series so I don't understand why folks can blame him. He has no help.

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    If you guys had a radio show I'd listen to it and may call in sometimes to agree with you or just tell you to fuck off. :p :beer:

Good luck to the wings. Sharks shouldn't even be in the league. :D

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,847
    My radio show would be kickass. We'd talk about football, hockey, the economy and conspiracy theories, like Gary Bettman living in level 7 of Dulce Base.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,849
    Fuck. 2-0 already.

You guys back there have to put Heatley on his ass if he tries to get into the slot.

God I hate Lilja.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,850
    Too many lost faceoffs. We are getting pummeled.

The team clearly isn't ready to play tonight, which is inexcusable. I don't care that we had a game on Tuesday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)