The NBA Thread (37 Viewers)

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I'm sold on that Wemby is generational talent. And though it might be a bit earlier to judge but it seems he is not injury prone as people think.

btw is spurs still tanking this season?
I’m not sure if they are tanking or they’re just that bad. Other than Wemby and Vassel they don’t have anybody else that can score consistently. They are last in the west, but won 3 in a row and if they continue like this they’ll be out of bottom 4 before season ends.

Rockets

Jul 26, 2022
You just can't defend Doncic 1 on 1 man and when you double team, he'll do some magic johnson pass to Gafford or shooters that are wide open.
With Warriors having an easier schedule and holding the season-long tiebreaker, it is almost impossible for us to chip away at the two-game deficit with only 8 games left. On the other side I think Adam Silver would be more willing to see a play-in game between Lakers and Warriors lul.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Funny how the Rockets and Jazz went in two different directions after the trade deadline. Polar opposites.

I'm not convinced this super tank is the best thing we could have done as it is kind of half a job and too late, and creates bad culture, but we obviously wanted this pick to not convey.

I have faith that if you give Will Hardy a decent roster with enough experience he will put together a team that can get to the PO/PI spots, but the goal isn't just to take part for 1 or 2 rounds. It's good for the rookies and some G Leaguers that they are getting lots of minutes but they are such a flawed team right now lol.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You just can't defend Doncic 1 on 1 man and when you double team, he'll do some magic johnson pass to Gafford or shooters that are wide open.

Or you have good defence and think you got him pinned down, and he does this circus unheard of shit.

And Spurs are bad but they were defenitely extra tanking vs Warriors lol. They won 3 games in a row and organisation wants less of that lol

They were up good with Wemby on, then they sit him for long time for no reason, and lose the lead, then puts back Wemby and he dominates again and makes them make a comeback. But Then sit him again to like ensure the narrow loss lol

Also Steve Kerr is Pop protégé like half the coaches in the league, so he prolly wanted to help his boy with a much needed win lol

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I have a feeling Spurs are going to get the #1 pick again and another high pick so next season could be significantly better for them and then exponentially over the next several years. Wemby is that good.

Amazing how teams continue to obviously tank and get away with it though lol, mine included.

Luka is a joke. Only someone as good as him can be so ball dominant. He's a few pounds overweight as well, imo, and this might even be a help to him as he's so difficult to get to grips with.

Btw what do Americans think of the emergence of elite foreign (especially Euro) players in the NBA? Before there were one or two guys at any given time but now they are consistently MVP candidates or winners. And it doesn't look like slowing down much when you see what France in particular are producing. A lot of projections for the 2024 draft have 3 Euro players top 3 picks (I doubt that will happen).

The US, for me, will always remain the dominant force in basketball simply because of the infrastructure, culture and finances behind it, I just wonder what everyday Americans think about the internationalisation of the league? I know it's an aim of the league. For me, elite competition is always best and most relevant if everyone can take part and play on a more level footing.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Or you have good defence and think you got him pinned down, and he does this circus unheard of shit.

And Spurs are bad but they were defenitely extra tanking vs Warriors lol. They won 3 games in a row and organisation wants less of that lol

They were up good with Wemby on, then they sit him for long time for no reason, and lose the lead, then puts back Wemby and he dominates again and makes them make a comeback. But Then sit him again to like ensure the narrow loss lol

Also Steve Kerr is Pop protégé like half the coaches in the league, so he prolly wanted to help his boy with a much needed win lol
Wemby’s minutes have been limited all season. He played 31 minutes against Warriors and it’s right around the average (29 minutes). What Spurs did to lose (and it almost failed) was resting Vassell.
Spurs have been quite an enigma. One of these 3 recent wins came against Suns and it was without Wemby. Random players explode for a game and they return to being awful the next game. In that win against the Suns Sochan had 26 points and 18 boards (he had 7 and 3 the night before against the same opponent) Last night Cedi Osman almost ruined the tanking party by scoring 58% from the field. With this level of inconsistency next year is not going to be much better.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Vasell is the only trustworthy teammate in that team for Wemby, Vasell growing into a nice assassin, more annoying to face then Wemby in Wolves games we had. So sitting him in key moments is defenitely also giving up on winning because he is the best shooter.

And yeah I know about Wembys minute limitations, but its not for health reasons (anymore), I watched the game and the timing of taking him out defenitely felt like they wanted to cool things down. And if they wanted the win they would given him more minutes. When they grow into contending team few years from now, they will increase his minutes for sure.

P.S How can any spurs fans stand that Champagnie guy? He is God awful even for a bad tanking team.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Champagnie is too good for G league and not good enough for the NBA. In a March 23rd game against garbage Memphis he had 1 point, 1 rebound and 1 assists in 16 minutes. He’s had quite a few of these “happy to be here” games.
Yeah I have no doubt Spurs wanted to lose last night. Vassell did not play at all and once it started to look like they’re winning it was Wemby’s time to sit. When you’ve been terrible all season you wouldn’t want to lose a top pick because of a last minute surge.
I wonder if Raptors situation had something to do with that too. Spurs own a (top 6 protected) first round pick from raptors and the way things are going they may not get it this year. Raptors have an injury crisis and are on a massive losing streak.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Canadians for me are a little different as they go through the same college route as American players (and many of them high school). Embiid is another who did this. It does happen with Euro players too from time to time but more often they go from a pro Euro league.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Still foreign players tho, even if they like semi-secret americans lol as Canadians (like so many Hollywood actors who are Canadians who never said and we all assume they were Americans).

Embiid and Sabonis did their high school and college ball in the US, but they still foreign players imo.

The only fully Americans who have shot at an unlikely MVP in coming years is Tatum who is too timid to be full-blown all dominating MVP, and Ant Edwards who will eventually get an MVP imo, he has all the ingredients for it and higher explosive ceiling then Tatum. But as 22 year old is way too immature and tunnel visioned in his game.

Around SGA and Tatum age he might become a legit MVP candidate tho.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Still foreign on the basis they are foreign lol? Well yeah, but the NBA also considered Tim Duncan to be an international player.

Agree that Ant will be in the mix in the future. I don't think hero ball is too much of an argument against it anymore as that's part of what the NBA has become, but it helps in particular to be someone who average doubles in at least two categories, preferably three.

For example I like Dejounte Murray but the other day he scored 44 points in 44 shots - to me that isn't great but he ends up with player of the week off the back of it.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Tim Duncan may be from US virgin islands, but he is still American and played for the US NT in youth level and up all the way to the Olympics, even if he failed in the Olympics so it gets kinda forgotten lol Because he declined further call ups after Kobe came in to save the day with the redeem team.

Ant improved as playmaker and rebounder, and is insanely great defender now. Learned how to pass out of double teams find open shooters.

But is still too immature and tunnel visioned in crunch time. Relies too much on the 3 and average mid range shot when he is insanely elite slasher and driver with the ball. Added elite footwork and de acceleration eurostep to his game thats amazing. But needs to know the time and place for his arsenal, and not get too much jump shot reliant or try to run through double teams. Defenitely not ready for any MVP talk tho is entering that phase of being in conversation as top 10 player.

This playoff will be great learning curve for him in what's required from him.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It is insane but Gobert was pretty crap and Wolves mediocre last season. For example Gobert had 2.7 BPG in 20-21 and only 1.4 in 22-23, it's almost the same thing.

But Wemby as a rookie is catching a lot of pretty dumb players out with his insane length and smarts. He'll get better at blocking but players will also not even try or switch up some of these shots in future seasons. No one has seen a player like this so they need to adapt.

Did you see his stat line last game? 33 pts, 18 reb, 6 assists, 7 blocks, 9 turnovers lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 30)