The NBA Thread (92 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Look, I am not mad that Kawhi didn't sign with the Lakers. That's not the reason for my disappointment. The reason why I am disappointed is that he and his camp seemed to never really have any intention of signing with us, and I feel that we were strung along in the process.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, he took his time to decide, nothing wrong with that. As far as we know, he seriously considered the Lakers as second option to the Clippers.

But yet he is working behind the scenes with Paul George to see if he can get out of his situation with OKC? Telling Doc Rivers and Jerry West that if they get PG, he is going to sign with them? Were the Lakers ever really an option?

- - - Updated - - -

And I guess that what I am annoyed about is that all along, I WANTED the Lakers to split that money up, and sign multiple players that could fill out the roster.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You weren't first option, you were just one of the options. Most likely just a 3rd option, he did his due diligence taking some time to decide til what suited him appeared.

I know its deflating since all favourite for championship hopes were pinned on him. He was kind of a long shot no matter how media spun things.

Enron was right, you should played it safe and went after another star perhaps.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I mean, JJ Reddick, Danny Green and Seth Curry on 2 year deals would have been a lot better than what they are doing now, even if Pelinka is indeed doing a good job of recovering

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Look, I am not mad that Kawhi didn't sign with the Lakers. That's not the reason for my disappointment. The reason why I am disappointed is that he and his camp seemed to never really have any intention of signing with us, and I feel that we were strung along in the process.

- - - Updated - - -

But yet he is working behind the scenes with Paul George to see if he can get out of his situation with OKC? Telling Doc Rivers and Jerry West that if they get PG, he is going to sign with them? Were the Lakers ever really an option?

- - - Updated - - -

And I guess that what I am annoyed about is that all along, I WANTED the Lakers to split that money up, and sign multiple players that could fill out the roster.
I get what you’re saying, but if the Clippers hadn’t been able to land PG, Kawhi wouldn’t have signed and then the other option could’ve easily been the Lakers.

Definitely agreed about going in for other players tho, that would’ve been the smart move from the beginning

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You weren't first option, you were just one of the options. Most likely just a 3rd option, he did his due diligence taking some time to decide til what suited him appeared.

I know its deflating since all favourite for championship hopes were pinned on him. He was kind of a long shot no matter how media spun things.

Enron was right, you should played it safe and went after another star perhaps.

Like whom, for instance? I would love to hear this. What other star free agent would have been reasonably available, considering that Klay flat out said that if GS offers the max, he is staying. KD and Kyrie were going to team up no matter what. So who was left?

- - - Updated - - -

Who know. It could also be that his camp did in fact tell the Lakers what was going to happen, and asked that they not leak anything, and out of professional courtesy, they did. That would have been a really bad look otherwise for the Lakers.

- - - Updated - - -

I get what you’re saying, but if the Clippers hadn’t been able to land PG, Kawhi wouldn’t have signed and then the other option could’ve easily been the Lakers.

Definitely agreed about going in for other players tho, that would’ve been the smart move from the beginning

That would have been my goal from the beginning. Now, on the bright side, all of the players that they have signed so far have been on 1 or 2 year deals, so that opens up as many as two max cap slots in 2021, depending on what Lebron does. So, at least on paper, they are playing the long game as well.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I mean, JJ Reddick, Danny Green and Seth Curry on 2 year deals would have been a lot better than what they are doing now, even if Pelinka is indeed doing a good job of recovering
Yeah. But I wouldn’t be upset at all if we end up Danny Green, Quinn Cook, Morris/Boogie, Korver/Iggy. And if the rumours are true and Javale has developed an outside game this summer, I like this team a lot.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Leonard's camp was essentially trying to buy time, asking the Lakers as late as 9 p.m. Pacific Time on Friday night to delay the consummation of the Anthony Davis trade until "as late as Sunday," according to sources close to the situation. No reason was given for that delay by Leonard's camp, except that they should do it if they still wanted Leonard to consider them.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27130335/how-kawhi-pulled-paul-george-away-okc

So, do we still think that Leonard was genuinely torn about where he wanted to be?

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
@MikeM

Just between the two of us, Man to Man. Do you get the feeling that we've been had? That the only reason why it took this long was that Kawhi was just waiting for the Clippers to acquire a 2nd star? This isn't NBA 2K. Trades like this take a lot of time.

I don't know, man. If neither one of us were really in the running, his camp should have let us know. Oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quinn Cook just signed for the Lakers. I've liked that option ever since his rights were renounced

- - - Updated - - -

Now get Marcus Morris and Avery Bradley and I'll be happy.

- - - Updated - - -

I truly expect Marcus Morris to sign with the Lakers. He's a Klutch Spots client
I think Kawhi would have went to Lakers.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I think Kawhi would have went to Lakers.
I don't believe it, and I never honestly believed it for a second. Not when Kawhi was actively working behind the scenes to recruit a 2nd star to the Clippers.

- - - Updated - - -

Of the level of our 2? Id consider PG a tier bellow

Did they get 2 superstars? Yes, they did. That is all that matters

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
I don't believe it, and I never honestly believed it for a second. Not when Kawhi was actively working behind the scenes to recruit a 2nd star to the Clippers.

- - - Updated - - -

Did they get 2 superstars? Yes, they did. That is all that matters
He was not coming back to Toronto. So what is the other option?

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
And @MikeM when I saw "We've been had", I'm talking about both the Raptors and The Lakers
I think the Lakers got had more than Toronto. I think we knew Kawhi was leaving and there was no real opportunity cost. We're over the cap and couldn't sign anyone. So it was either Kawhi or nothing. But the Lakers missed out on some better FAs.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
He was not coming back to Toronto. So what is the other option?

I just don't think, and never though, that the Lakers were a viable option. The evidence to how I felt about that is in this thread. I would have taken that money and split it up

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Lakers got had more than Toronto. I think we knew Kawhi was leaving and there was no real opportunity cost. We're over the cap and couldn't sign anyone. So it was either Kawhi or nothing. But the Lakers missed out on some better FAs.

Toronto could have at least been given the opportunity to do a Sign and Trade.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
In the clippers kawhi is going to be the face of the franchise, but in Lakers he would have to play second fiddle to lebron.
Maybe that's what put him off.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Players definitely care. Especially a guy like Kawhi who came through the Spurs. He can win anywhere, why deal with the bullshit and drama that comes from the Lakers?

A big failure on his part? Lol I don’t know how it’s a failure, he’s going to a team that made the playoffs and is getting the max, as well as bringing another top player with him. Looks like he made out alright.
A big failure if they dont win, because then the decision will prove to be the wrong one. The Lakers would have pretty much guaranteed atleast one chip if they all stay healthy in the playoffs. He left the current champions for this, so his decision will be judged on if they can win

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Serge meant Butler or Kemba mainly, if you specifically targeted them early on could convinced them maybe. Atleast for Kemba.

Butler is a head headcase that's fickle so you never know.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
At the end of the day, I really don't think the Lakers did anything wrong in any of this, from their end. They didn't have any leaks (That whole conversation that Magic had with Kawhi on his own time couldn't have been leaked by the team, since he is no longer part of the organization). It's just a matter of the Clippers doing everything they needed to do, including trading 5 1st round picks, to get the 2nd star next to Kawhi.

People will surely want to blame Pelinka for this, but what else could he have done? They already traded for their 2nd superstar 3 weeks ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Serge meant Butler or Kemba mainly, if you specifically targeted them early on could convinced them maybe. At least for Kemba.

Butler is a head headcase that's fickle so you never know.
Here is the issue with Butler. He wanted the 5 year max deal, something the Lakers could not have done unless they did a sign and trade. They obviously couldn't do that. As far as Walker as concerned, maybe.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
A big failure if they dont win, because then the decision will prove to be the wrong one. The Lakers would have pretty much guaranteed atleast one chip if they all stay healthy in the playoffs. He left the current champions for this, so his decision will be judged on if they can win
Definitely wouldn’t have been a guarantee, especially as they would be one injury away from going to shit, they would have no depth at all if they got Kawhi and the NBA season is long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 84)