The NBA Thread (102 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Damn, there’s a lot of parity in the West right now. Utah, Portland, Denver and Houston don’t look so far away anymore. Kawhi really pissed in the Lakers Cheerios on this one. Next season is going to be chaos.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I don't believe it, and I never honestly believed it for a second. Not when Kawhi was actively working behind the scenes to recruit a 2nd star to the Clippers.

- - - Updated - - -

Did they get 2 superstars? Yes, they did. That is all that matters
Im talking from Kawhis perspective. He chose one 88 teammate over 2 90+. Im giving him the benefit of doubt for now, lets see if they can win

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Im talking from Kawhis perspective. He chose one 88 teammate over 2 90+. Im giving him the benefit of doubt for now, lets see if they can win
It's about more than just next year for Kawhi. He believes in Jerry West to keep the team competitive for 3-5 years. I don't know what the Lakers do once Lebron declines//retires/gets hurt. Could be in trouble immediately.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Definitely wouldn’t have been a guarantee, especially as they would be one injury away from going to shit, they would have no depth at all if they got Kawhi and the NBA season is long.
Depth comes later, there is a lot of buyout candidates every season. James, Leonard, Davis is the best team in the playoffs atleast for 2 seasons, with the most chamionship experience as well. 1/2 is a guarantee seeing how other recent super teams panned out

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
At the end of the day, I really don't think the Lakers did anything wrong in any of this, from their end. They didn't have any leaks (That whole conversation that Magic had with Kawhi on his own time couldn't have been leaked by the team, since he is no longer part of the organization). It's just a matter of the Clippers doing everything they needed to do, including trading 5 1st round picks, to get the 2nd star next to Kawhi.

People will surely want to blame Pelinka for this, but what else could he have done? They already traded for their 2nd superstar 3 weeks ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the issue with Butler. He wanted the 5 year max deal, something the Lakers could not have done unless they did a sign and trade. They obviously couldn't do that. As far as Walker as concerned, maybe.
Pelinka did his part, cleaned cap space and offered a team of James, Davis, Kuzma to compete for years. Kawhi simply played us, if we got someone else his chances of success decrease. It sucks but jt is what it is now. See ya in the playoffs

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It's about more than just next year for Kawhi. He believes in Jerry West to keep the team competitive for 3-5 years. I don't know what the Lakers do once Lebron declines//retires/gets hurt. Could be in trouble immediately.
With how we’ve structured deals, we will have max cap space again in 2021. To get a superstar to pair with AD for the post-Lebron era. The front office is doing a good job right now. While Magic was here, we made a mess of things, but they’ve recovered pretty nicely this summer so far.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Jerry West wont be there much longer, hes what 80? AD in his prime will, and with Kawhi and AD there, youre set even before recruiting other stars or top role players.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Jerry West wont be there much longer, hes what 80? AD in his prime will, and with Kawhi and AD there, youre set even before recruiting other stars or top role players.
Jerry West is a consultant, not even the GM.

Ballmer will be there for a while and ownership is the most important part imo. That’s where I think Lakers have issues.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

Ballmer will be there for a while and ownership is the most important part imo. That’s where I think Lakers have issues.
He is consultant but is unofficially in charge. Everyone knows it. All the moves happend as soon as he came.

Just like it did with prime Lakers in 2 different eras and GSW splash bros formation.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I would do that in a heartbeat if I’m the Wolves. Wonder how many picks it’ll take tho. 3 first rounders?
Lol Russ is fantastic but I wouldn't sacrifice too many picks for him.
Cousins to the Lakers. I repaeat. Demarcus Cousins to the Lakers

- - - Updated - - -

If he is healthy this year, this team just got a LOT better
Finally, felt sorry for him seeing bums get paid (looking at you Knicks FAs) while Cousins was ignored by whole league all week.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Lol Russ is fantastic but I wouldn't sacrifice too many picks for him.Finally, felt sorry for him seeing bums get paid (looking at you Knicks FAs) while Cousins was ignored by whole league all week.
It's really easy to forget that just a year and half ago, he was a dominant big man. Not just good, but dominant. If he is healthy this year, a frontcourt of Lebron-Cousins-AD is downright frightening. I didn't think that I would actually feel better after everything that has transpried in the last 12 hours, but if they can get 1 more backcourt player (Bradley and/or Trey Burke) I will be so happy with this team next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Rondo just came back, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Now just get me Avery Bradley, please.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

Some of the Clippers players are praising him on twitter for this, hes their main asset in that FO. It still comes down to this, superstars want to be on highly competitive teams 1st, and then 2nd in big(ger) markets to grow their brands further and build for life after basketball. The Lakers however are a tier above everyone else because not only is LA their city, but also because theyre a global brand, more so than any other franchise in the NBA. Being a (successful) superstar there > being a superstar elsewhere, its just the way things are, Ballmer or no Ballmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 93)