The NBA Thread (67 Viewers)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Yeah man. He is the Goat. Period. That ain't even a debate especially when people mention Lebron in the same sentence. That man is the greatest in his generation but here we talk about Mike. Different animal.

There are many amazing things about him. I just wish he had played more seasons.. The game of basketball lost many magical moments when he was away in his prime.
And while CR7 said numbers arent everything, which is true, even numbers wise MJ is if not no.1, then only 2nd to Wilt. 31.5pts 6reb 5ast 2.5stl 1blk in 13 competitive seasons. In 11 of those were he was healthy/played all through training camp to the playoffs/didnt miss significant parts of the season, 6rings as the undeniable no.1, 5 MVPs (should have been 6, 97 was a joke), ROY, DPOY, 9 defensive 1st teams, 10 scoring titles (11 if you look at total points and not ppg), 3 stl titles and many more. Not even to mention the playoffs. Created a dynasty with a single allstar teammate (Pippen 6x). Took a break in between two 3peats. Took a 3 year break, came back at 38 years of age to play a little for fun, and still be the only player besides TMac to average 25+pts 6+reb 5+ast before his knee injury. Whatever angle you look at it from, MJ is undisputed #1

- - - Updated - - -

There’s no way Kobe or Shaq are over Bird. I think you’re ignoring just how dominant Bird was in the 80s. The only way you make an argument for Kobe is longevity, and for Shaq would be his 4-5 year prime where he was completely unstoppable. Aside from that, nah.

Bill and Wilt, an argument could be made... but it could also be argued that they dominated an era when they were just bigger and more athletic than a league full of mostly slobs.

Watch more 80s games, yo. Best basketball era of all time.
I agree about the 80s which is why Magic would be my #2 alltime. I get Kareem at #2 as well though, by 1980 he was a 6 time MVP and 2x champ, led the league in several categories few times, and then won another 4 rings in 8 years. But the differences to me are not that big after MJ, so each argument has a legit case. But Magic to me, what he accomplished in such short time both individually and team, how he transformed the franchise into the frontrunner of his era and how he revolutionized the game. At one point, Bird was way ahead of him (after 86, was maybe the GOAT at that point, 3 rings competing in the stronger east with Dr Js sixers and Isiahs Pistons among others) but in the next 5 years Magic turned it around completely. Both lasted short though which is a shame, one has to wonder what they would have accomplished with Karl Malone like longevity. But they both are still in the top 4 with MJ and KAJ to me and many others, which is amazing (while im at it, Wilt rounds up my top 5, then Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, James, Russell, Hakeem follow up).

Last edited:

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
And while CR7 said numbers arent everything, which is true, even numbers wise MJ is if not no.1, then only 2nd to Wilt. 31.5pts 6reb 5ast 2.5stl 1blk in 13 competitive seasons. In 11 of those were he was healthy/played all through training camp to the playoffs/didnt miss significant parts of the season, 6rings as the undeniable no.1, 5 MVPs (should have been 6, 97 was a joke), ROY, DPOY, 9 defensive 1st teams, 10 scoring titles (11 if you look at total points and not ppg), 3 stl titles and many more. Not even to mention the playoffs. Created a dynasty with a single allstar teammate (Pippen 6x). Took a break in between two 3peats. Took a 3 year break, came back at 38 years of age to play a little for fun, and still be the only player besides TMac to average 25+pts 6+reb 5+ast before his knee injury. Whatever angle you look at it from, MJ is undisputed #1
Don't forget what basketball was played back then. It's mind-blowing how some players managed to have such crazy stats in such a physically tough era. They didn't get fuckin technicals for giving a "suspicious look" towards another player. Nowadays they just play run and gun shit with lots of threes and no one can't touch their opponent. It's sad that the NBA has chosen that path to only do business and forget the real values of the game. They've always wanted high-scoring games to "entertain" fans and they got it now.

Attachments

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Can we do a top 10 of all time list? Let's go peeps :p

1.) MJ
2.) Kareem
3.) Magic
4.) Bill Russell
5.) Kobe
6.) Bird
7.) Lebron
8.) Wilt
9.) Oscar
10) Shaq

Honorable Mentions: Olajuwon, Tim Duncan, Iverson, Isiah Thomas, Elgin Baylor, George Gervin, Dr. J

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

1.) MJ
2.) Kareem
3.) Magic
4.) Bill Russell
5.) Kobe
6.) Bird
7.) Lebron
8.) Wilt
9.) Oscar
10) Shaq

Honorable Mentions: Olajuwon, Tim Duncan, Iverson, Isiah Thomas, Elgin Baylor, George Gervin, Dr. J

I like your list, but I would put Bird ahead of Kobe, and take Shaq out of the top 10 and put Olajuwon in there

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

1.) MJ
2.) Kareem
3.) Magic
4.) Bill Russell
5.) Kobe
6.) Bird
7.) Lebron
8.) Wilt
9.) Oscar
10) Shaq

1) MJ
2) Kareem
3) Magic
4) Bird
5) Bill Russell
6) Wilt
7) Hakeem
8) Oscar
9) Kobe
10) Lebron

:p

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I have another list to try. The "What could have been" top ten list. Players that through injury or other unfortunate circumstances could have been a hall of famer, or if they already are, then in the top 10 of all time. In no particular order

Bill Walton
Len Bias
Brandon Roy
Greg Oden
Drazen Petrovic
Sam Bowie
Reggie Lewis
LLoyd Daniels
Derrick Rose

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, that's only 9.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
How do you forget Tracy McGrady? He would been Lebron level dominant if it wasnt for the crippling injuries. Insane combo of skill and freakish athleticism.

Hes basically the guy Kobe wanted the physique of more then any other NBA great.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I have another list to try. The "What could have been" top ten list. Players that through injury or other unfortunate circumstances could have been a hall of famer, or if they already are, then in the top 10 of all time. In no particular order

Bill Walton
Len Bias
Brandon Roy
Greg Oden
Drazen Petrovic
Sam Bowie
Reggie Lewis
LLoyd Daniels
Derrick Rose

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, that's only 9.
Bynum

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
How do you forget Tracy McGrady? He would been Lebron level dominant if it wasnt for the crippling injuries. Insane combo of skill and freakish athleticism.

Hes basically the guy Kobe wanted the physique of more then any other NBA great.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I didn't include him because he was already a multiple, multiple time all star, and all-nba player. And a hall of fame player. Look at the pattern and the common thread of the players that I picked. With the exception of Bill Walton, none of those other players are in the hall of fame, and I question why Walton is in it in the first place. Yes, he was dominant for 3 years, but that's about it. Which is why he is on my what could have been list.

- - - Updated - - -

I take it back. I forgot Petrovic is in the hall, but that is based on the totality of his career more than just the NBA.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
And the tanking continues. It is now into overdrive. And I'd be willing to guarantee that Wagner STILL won't get any starts the rest of the year

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Not sure what team would be easier to get through, the Nets or the Pistons. The Nets are inexperienced while the Pistons have Drummond who’s basically Embiid’s bitch. I guess I’m happy with either one.

- - - Updated - - -

@Osman lol hope you’re not watching this bro, I think the sixers are doing this for Jimmy

Last edited:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I like your list, but I would put Bird ahead of Kobe, and take Shaq out of the top 10 and put Olajuwon in there
Hakeem to me is the better player (and the best center ever 1v1), but Shaq achieved more in his career. its the same with Kobe vs Lebron (Kobe better, more team success, James more individual success). the question is, what one values more

- - - Updated - - -

why you hate him?

- - - Updated - - -

1) MJ
2) Kareem
3) Magic
4) Bird
5) Bill Russell
6) Wilt
7) Hakeem
8) Oscar
9) Kobe
10) Lebron

:p
Oscar? Why you guys have him there? I dont think hes even top15 tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Bill Walton
Len Bias
Brandon Roy
Greg Oden
Drazen Petrovic
Sam Bowie
Reggie Lewis
LLoyd Daniels
Derrick Rose

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, that's only 9.
Sabonis if he went overseas earlier, but not sure if thats a valid criteria

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 61)