The NBA Thread (75 Viewers)

Jul 1, 2012
Steve Nash will wear the number 10 for the Lakers.

Grant Hill retired.

Also a rumour that Dwight is going to the Lakers in a three team trade (Houston, Lakers and Orlando).

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The Nets have officially ended trade talks for Dwight Howard. One of the reasons why is that apparently Brooks Lopez is ready to sign an offer sheet with either Charlotte or Portland, thereby making it almost impossible for the Nets to include him in a deal

So, it seems that it is down to the Lakers and Rockets.

From what I am reading and hearing, the Rockets are not convinced at all that they can get Howard to sign an extension with them, but they are far more confident that they could get one done with Bynum, which is why the Rockets would act as a facilitator to get Howard to Los Angeles.

Bynum would go to the Rockets, a package of young players and Draft Picks would go from Houston and/or Los Angeles would go to Orlando, and Howard would go to L.A.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Just read that the Magic will hold the Howard trade talk until they find a new head coach, The Nets if they sign Brook to a new contract tonight like expected can't include him/trade him until after December, so they are out of the competition right now, i still think the lakers will get him if they can convince Houston who has the best package that interest the Magic into a 3 way deal wich sees them getting Bynum.
I still think the Magic will start the season with dwight and wait untill near the trade deadline and trade him.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Just read that the Magic will hold the Howard trade talk until they find a new head coach, The Nets if they sign Brook to a new contract tonight like expected can't include him/trade him until after December, so they are out of the competition right now, i still think the lakers will get him if they can convince Houston who has the best package that interest the Magic into a 3 way deal wich sees them getting Bynum.
I still think the Magic will start the season with dwight and wait untill near the trade deadline and trade him.
That is a dangerous game that Orlando will be playing if they decide to keep him to start the season. And the problem that the Magic will be facing now is that the one team where Howard had stated that he would definitely sign an extensions for, have pulled themselves out of the race. This can do nothing but decrease the trade value. Orlando is stuck at this point. Howard doesn't want to be there, Orlando doesn't want him there, and now they will be left getting 60 cents on the dollar in any trades that would come up. They want young players and draft picks, and they could end up with nothing if this all plays out as I think it will.

And the one thing that has me curious as a Laker fan, is how exactly are they going to get the contracts to match up between Bynum and Howard? I'm pretty sure that Bynum is making at least a few million less per season than Howard..

Edit- Never mind. I forgot about the 125% rule for teams who are over the cap acquiring new salaries versus the ones they trade away.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
That is a dangerous game that Orlando will be playing if they decide to keep him to start the season. And the problem that the Magic will be facing now is that the one team where Howard had stated that he would definitely sign an extensions for, have pulled themselves out of the race. This can do nothing but decrease the trade value. Orlando is stuck at this point. Howard doesn't want to be there, Orlando doesn't want him there, and now they will be left getting 60 cents on the dollar in any trades that would come up. They want young players and draft picks, and they could end up with nothing if this all plays out as I think it will.

And the one thing that has me curious as a Laker fan, is how exactly are they going to get the contracts to match up between Bynum and Howard? I'm pretty sure that Bynum is making at least a few million less per season than Howard..

Edit- Never mind. I forgot about the 125% rule for teams who are over the cap acquiring new salaries versus the ones they trade away.

I don't know with Brooklyn out of the race ATM, Howard is the one stuck and Orlando has more leverage, They can trade him anywhere they want, They are few teams willing to take him as a Rental and see if he can let so much money at the table. I think Houston who has the best prospects will be willing to trade for howard even withou insurrance that he'll sign the extension, I'm sure the hawks ( his hometown) will be willing to do the same, The thing is this team will be willing to call his bluff, only a few teams in the NBA ( small markets +Dallas) are under the cap and can sign him to the max when he'll be a free agent, so in reality he won't leave millions of dollars at the table just to play at brooklyn for the MLE.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I don't know with Brooklyn out of the race ATM, Howard is the one stuck and Orlando has more leverage, They can trade him anywhere they want, They are few teams willing to take him as a Rental and see if he can let so much money at the table. I think Houston who has the best prospects will be willing to trade for howard even withou insurrance that he'll sign the extension, I'm sure the hawks ( his hometown) will be willing to do the same, The thing is this team will be willing to call his bluff, only a few teams in the NBA ( small markets +Dallas) are under the cap and can sign him to the max when he'll be a free agent, so in reality he won't leave millions of dollars at the table just to play at brooklyn for the MLE.
If you were the GM of the Rockets or the Lakers, would you be willing to part with valuable assets in the form of young players (In the case of the Lakers, a 24 year old All-Star Center who is regarded as the 2nd best center in the league by most people) and draft picks, for a player who will only be there for one year?

That is awfully rich for my blood, if you ask me. If Howard were to give any sort of indication that he would be willing to sign a long term extension for other teams of his choosing, then the doors open up for Orlando to get better value. He hasn't done that, and it has hamstrung Orlando as to what they can get in return. In essence, he has basically put Orlando in a corner because of it.

---------- Post added 11.07.2012 at 18:46 ----------

At the end of the day, he really screwed Orlando over by not opting out of his contract at the trade deadline last year. He was trying to force his way out to get what he wants, and now the one team that he truly wanted can no longer make a trade for him.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Yeah, this super team thing really is going out of hand, the Lockout really didn't fix anyting.

If i was Orlando i'll trade him for the best offer even if it's the Charlotte one and call his bluff, like that he'll learn his lesson the hardway.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
The Nets have officially ended trade talks for Dwight Howard. One of the reasons why is that apparently Brooks Lopez is ready to sign an offer sheet with either Charlotte or Portland, thereby making it almost impossible for the Nets to include him in a deal

So, it seems that it is down to the Lakers and Rockets.

From what I am reading and hearing, the Rockets are not convinced at all that they can get Howard to sign an extension with them, but they are far more confident that they could get one done with Bynum, which is why the Rockets would act as a facilitator to get Howard to Los Angeles.

Bynum would go to the Rockets, a package of young players and Draft Picks would go from Houston and/or Los Angeles would go to Orlando, and Howard would go to L.A.
It really depends on what we'd have to give up. We've got one of the best stable of prospects in the league and could possible include Kyle Lowry in a deal, but that would leave us without a PG since Linsanity is staying in NY.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
It really depends on what we'd have to give up. We've got one of the best stable of prospects in the league and could possible include Kyle Lowry in a deal, but that would leave us without a PG since Linsanity is staying in NY.
Kyle Lowry was traded to the Raptors last week,the rockets got their pick for next year draft. Lowry had a fallout with Mchale and wanted out ASAP. The rockets are indeed without a PG and with tons of PF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 72)