The NBA Thread (64 Viewers)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
there are few concerns i have with Lebron signing here that i already stated, such as age (34 isnt a small number, even for a physical freak like him), his willingness to adapt to a team oriented system (i say willingness, because i know he CAN play a game where he takes on less duties with and more without the ball, plays less minutes, doesent handle the ball for much of the shotclock making everyone spot up shooters in the process, put in actual effort on defense etc, whether he WANTS to is another question), trading/getting rid of "our" players to make room for "his" players...

but all that aside, the one thing im sad about is that we will never get to see a lineup of Lonzo-Kawhi-Ingram-George-Randle against that Warriors team. defensively, i dont see a single team that matches up as well with them as this team. offensively, if Leonard can recover even 70% of his MVP caliber form, with a year 3 Lonzo and Kuzma, year 4 Ingram, year 5 Randle, and George doing his thing. boy, this team would wreck havoc in 19-20.

but its OK, ive accepted Lebron already. hopefully he will buy into our culture and not force his thing

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I really don't have an issue if they don't get any of these 3 this summer. I've stated many times that I have no problem at all with watching this team develop organically. The thought of gutting the entire young core for the sake of a star or 2 just makes me feel uneasy, to be honest.

Build your own stars. If some of these kids turn out to be that, then free agents will come.

But apparently I am in the 10 % of Laker fans who are cool with this, so I am obviously stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Man PG is nowhere good enough to have his version of the decision. It's just sad he thinks he warrants that kind of attention.

Not only isn't he third of the star LeBron is, but he didn't learn from how Bron was completely PR KILLED for that narcissistic nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
He was killed for not having the courtesy of telling Cleveland that he was leaving. It was a very bad look to leave your team hanging like that. They were your employers, and you shouldn't have done them dirty like that.

The PG situation, although equally as silly, is a little different. With him, it's more likely that he either stays at OKC or goes home to LA. He's not leaving a hometown team that built their fortune and the fans hopes on his shoulders.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
I really don't have an issue if they don't get any of these 3 this summer. I've stated many times that I have no problem at all with watching this team develop organically. The thought of gutting the entire young core for the sake of a star or 2 just makes me feel uneasy, to be honest.

Build your own stars. If some of these kids turn out to be that, then free agents will come.

But apparently I am in the 10 % of Laker fans who are cool with this, so I am obviously stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

He was killed for not having the courtesy of telling Cleveland that he was leaving. It was a very bad look to leave your team hanging like that. They were your employers, and you shouldn't have done them dirty like that.

The PG situation, although equally as silly, is a little different. With him, it's more likely that he either stays at OKC or goes home to LA. He's not leaving a hometown team that built their fortune and the fans hopes on his shoulders.
:tup:

Guess I am part of that 10% too.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
:tup:

Guess I am part of that 10% too.
You can look back at my posting history on this thread. I have looked forward to a full on rebuild for so long. Draft young guys and let them grow into something special, especially now with this scouting department that the Lakers have. To grab players like Clarkson, Nance, Kuzma, and Hart in the late 1st/early 2nd is a testament to the work they do.

I don't want them to throw it all away. The team won 35 games last year with Lonzo out for 30 games and Ingram out for more than 20. They could have certainly had 40 wins this year and maybe even be over .500 if they were healthy. The improvement is there. Lonzo already looks like a different person physique wise from the end of last season. Kuz has been lifting weights to get stronger too. Ingram has been training like an animal.

Give this team some time. At least give them through this season. Sign some guys to 1 year contracts this year to fill out the roster if need be.

Let them develop.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Magic kind of put himself in a spot where that can't happen anymore.
Magic said that if he can't lure a star free agent in the next 2 years, that he would resign.

Thing is, they have the cap space to sign 2 of them to max deals. What I don't want is the young core getting gutted just to accommodate that happening.

And he could still have the max cap room after this coming year to sign 2 as well.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
He kind of said that. I think you're going to lose some of your young assets. Unless big time free agents are cool with developing a team into a championship contender over the next 5 years.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
He kind of said that. I think you're going to lose some of your young assets. Unless big time free agents are cool with developing a team into a championship contender over the next 5 years.
That is if they are going to make a trade to get a Kawhi Leonard. But if you can get Lebron and PG without having to lose any young player of substance aside from Randle, is that not better than Lebron and Kawhi with a mildly depleted roster, or a trio of Lebron, PG, and Kawhi and a truly depleted roster, to the point that they couldn't even field a starting 5?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
That is if they are going to make a trade to get a Kawhi Leonard. But if you can get Lebron and PG without having to lose any young player of substance aside from Randle, is that not better than Lebron and Kawhi with a mildly depleted roster, or a trio of Lebron, PG, and Kawhi and a truly depleted roster, to the point that they couldn't even field a starting 5?
How do you think you're going to trade of Kyle Korver bro?

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
just for the record, my priorities would be: 1. keep Julius, 2. sign one of PG/Lebron 3. keep Deng and trade him next summer 4. sign Kawhi next summer

now to the topic, imo, it becomes an issue for our youngsters only if Lebron is on board, because hes so ball dominant, the other 2 actually fit in very nicely. i dont know what Brons deal is, whether he tries to push himself in the GOAT convo by accumulating stats, or maybe he believes hes getting himself in the best possible position to win if he himself is controlling the offense all the time, but fact is, he wants/needs to have the ball in his hands for majority of the shotclock. PG is different, hes no real superstar but someone best described as a "allstar role player" probably, meaning a good fit on a championship roster, but as a 3rd/4th option. hes very good off ball, can be a spot up shooter, secondary/tertiary ballhandler, can play multiple positions, and a great defender who can switch on guards and powerforwards and do well. he fits into what we are building here. he could ball with the kids, not at the expense of them

Kawhi is a great fit too, everything above mentioned applies to him as well. and hes even better than George (when on his best). hes been playing on a well oiled machine for years, so would fit in here in his sleep. problem is, with 2 maxes, one of our young 4 has to come off the bench with Hart, but all these guys are so versatile that all 6 can get around 30 minutes a game

i mean, i wouldnt lose sleep if we miss out completely, i trust these kids to come out big, but when you have the opportunity to add 2 allstars to 4 kids with allstar potential, you do it. great players with common goals will find a way to function

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I don't know where you are getting these 4 kids with all star potential.

At the absolute best, you are talking 3, and that would be Ingram, Kuzma, and maybe Ball. Randle, if they keep him, could be a good player, and Hart could be a solid player, but I don't see 4.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I don't know where you are getting these 4 kids with all star potential.

At the absolute best, you are talking 3, and that would be Ingram, Kuzma, and maybe Ball. Randle, if they keep him, could be a good player, and Hart could be a solid player, but I don't see 4.
To respond to your previous posts, the Lakers and all teams who have the potential to go in “win now mode” should go for it. Do I see the Lakers ever challenging for a title by keeping the current players once they have more experience? Very unlikely and imo no way. But they can win for the next three seasons if they get lebron, Kawhi and PG which is why it’s worth trading whatever they can to get them. All winning teams have had a superstar and the Lakers don’t have one now and I don’t see any of their current crop of players turning into one. See Mitchell and Simmons for examples. They’re solid players (Lakers roster, not Mitchell and simmons) with all star potential at best but they can also turn into a team that routinely gets 50 wins and therefore low draft picks for the next ten years.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
i said allstar potential, doesent mean all will become it. Randle looks the closest to me of the 4 at the moment, he had an underrated season, improved massively from previous years. double double machine, missmatch to almost anyone, can playmake a little, switch everything PF/center. if he could shoot, hed be a superstar already

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
To respond to your previous posts, the Lakers and all teams who have the potential to go in “win now mode” should go for it. Do I see the Lakers ever challenging for a title by keeping the current players once they have more experience? Very unlikely and imo no way. But they can win for the next three seasons if they get lebron, Kawhi and PG which is why it’s worth trading whatever they can to get them. All winning teams have had a superstar and the Lakers don’t have one now and I don’t see any of their current crop of players turning into one. See Mitchell and Simmons for examples. They’re solid players (Lakers roster, not Mitchell and simmons) with all star potential at best but they can also turn into a team that routinely gets 50 wins and therefore low draft picks for the next ten years.
I'm not for giving up every single one of our young core to get them. I'm sorry, but that is not how I feel it should be done. If they have the cap space to get 2 stars without having to blow it all up, then fine. Go for it. But if they have to give up every young player they have, then no way.

And that is what is bothering me about all of this. By renouncing all of their free agents (yes, Including Randle) and stretching Deng's contract and then waiving him, they have the 2 max cap spaces. Why risk blowing everything up if they don't have to? If Kawhi really wants to be a Laker after 2018-19, then ride it out and figure out a way to sign him as a free agent, or do a sign and trade for him then.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's look at this another way.

Kawhi at 100% is a Top 5 player.

Where does PG Rank? 15-20?

Is the difference between Kawhi and PG an Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, and at least 1 draft pick? Considering that he is in the last year of his deal? I don't think it is.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Ideally you want both Kawhi and PG. The risk is that Kawhi goes somewhere else for a year, ends up liking it there and resigning thus never making it to the Lakers. In my eyes, that’s a risk worth taking since you can put literally anyone on the field if you have that big 3. And you’ll be able to attract a lot of vets and free agents too. That’s how I look at it. I understand if you disagree.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Ideally you want both Kawhi and PG. The risk is that Kawhi goes somewhere else for a year, ends up liking it there and resigning thus never making it to the Lakers. In my eyes, that’s a risk worth taking since you can put literally anyone on the field if you have that big 3. And you’ll be able to attract a lot of vets and free agents too. That’s how I look at it. I understand if you disagree.
If you get rid of the young core, except for Lonzo and maybe Wagner, you would have to convince up to 6 NBA Veterans to accept the minimum. That is a herculean task, and you won't even be able to get anyone as remotely good as some of the veterans that are already leaving, such as Brook Lopez and KCP. They would be at the salary cap with just those 5 players alone.

There are only tow other teams that Kawhi could realistically get traded to, where he would re-think his status.

Philadelphia and Boston. Boston is not giving up anyone of value unless they get a guarantee, and since Simmons and Embiid are obviously untouchable, there is no one else on the 76ers roster that is attractive as Ingram, who would be the centerpiece of a deal with Los Angeles.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
If you get rid of the young core, except for Lonzo and maybe Wagner, you would have to convince up to 6 NBA Veterans to accept the minimum. That is a herculean task, and you won't even be able to get anyone as remotely good as some of the veterans that are already leaving, such as Brook Lopez and KCP. They would be at the salary cap with just those 5 players alone.

There are only tow other teams that Kawhi could realistically get traded to, where he would re-think his status.

Philadelphia and Boston. Boston is not giving up anyone of value unless they get a guarantee, and since Simmons and Embiid are obviously untouchable, there is no one else on the 76ers roster that is attractive as Ingram, who would be the centerpiece of a deal with Los Angeles.
There’s rumors that we’re offering Super Dario, Covington and Miami’s first rounder. I don’t want to see Saric leave as he’s one of my favorites but for Kawhi that’d be a no-brainer.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
There’s rumors that we’re offering Super Dario, Covington and Miami’s first rounder. I don’t want to see Saric leave as he’s one of my favorites but for Kawhi that’d be a no-brainer.
Respectfully speaking, if that is the package, compared to what the Lakers supposedly offered (Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, and 2 1st round picks), and San Antonio takes that one over LA's, then San Antonio never wanted to trade Kawhi to the Lakers in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)