The NBA Thread (71 Viewers)

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
No way LeBron should be in the conversation, his team is too good and is still only tied at 3rd best in the league with Houston. If James is a candidate over RW, Harden and IT, then so should be Durant, but realistically both should be around that 5th spot.

Im glad you say Westbrooks team is not good, im also glad Osman mentioned Hardens supporting cast. So whats the deal here. Westbrook is a PG that needs to have the ball in his hands and that will attack the rim as often as he can. Hes also not a particulary great 3pt shooter. How do you defend against such guy? You close down his driving to the rim and make him a passer, which teams try to do. Now whats the problem here? The guy doesent have any damn shooters in his team, that can spread the floor and make life easier for him. Yet he STILL leads the league in points, while averaging a triple double, AND has his team in the Playoffs (very likely). Harden has a better support, he has guys that can shoot and spread the floor, he has a system that favors him and gives him a chance to score and assist a lot. He himself is also a better shooter than RW so teams will defend him differently. But hes still crucial for that very offense to work, and the sole reason they have the 3rd best record in the league together with the Cavs. These 2, together with IT, are the players that are the most valuable for their teams success this season, hence why they should be frontrunners for the MVP award.

Another thing thats also very important and why Leonard is the favorite for me to win it, the MVP is usually (more often than not) the best player on the team with the best record, which is how Nash won it twice over Kobe&Shaq, how Nowitzki won it, James over Wade in 2009, Rose, Curry twice etc. To me, id give it to Kawhi regardless of how the season ends, because he Impacts the game the most when looking at offense+defense, and hes also the best player on the close 2nd best team (while being the only all star there). Another thing to take into consideration, the Spurs are 8-1 I think vs teams that have MVP candidates playing for them (GSW, Cavs, Celtics, Rockets, OKC) with Leonard finishing with 30+ points (in addition to an amazing defensive impact) 4 or 5 times I think. They still play GSW twice at home, Cavs once also at home and OKC once, so that record can even increase. All this is why to me, its Kawhi slighly over Russ and Harden. If the Spurs manage to finish with the 1st overall record, keeping in mind the games they still have to play I mentioned above, and that they will probably have to win all of them to get that #1 spot, then anything other than Kawhi winning it would be a robbery plain and simple
I agree.
I don't think he'll win it at the end, since I don't think spurs will catch GSW. Spurs are not playing well right now. in last 4 games they somehow pulled it off: two in overtime and the other two in last seconds of the game. They are kind of like Juve early in the season when we played shit but somehow pulled wins. I don't think they'll beat GSW mostly due to the lack of offensive output there. It's pretty much only Kawhi. Aldridge is a disappointment, and Gasol is aweful. He cannot hit a mid range shot to save his life at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

People forget Houston is about the D'Antoni offensive system too, and that they have Gordon and Anderson shooting lights out like no other in NBA right now (there's a reason Harden gets so many easy assists), more so then GSW even, and Beverly is on lock defensively. So Harden has pretty good support system right now, they are underdogs but ones who genuinly performing as a unit consistently more then they could hoped for. Harden is sick with it but its not all him for sure, and I dont think what he is doing is enough to be seen over Kawhi, 5 procent defending and 95 offense isnt just there for me as MVP player, candidate sure, but to win it requires more. To be head and shoulders above the other candidates and he isnt.

Russ individually is an absolute monster, more so then Harden for me, but he is not a lock for MVP for reasons you mentionned. Average team and he frankly has average IQ as player, he litterally tries to do everything himself, its shocking he hasnt burned himself out already. Its not sustainable and more importantly its what makes you a winner, he is very hungry and I respect him for it. But its just kinda balls out crazy more then true champion level candidate ball.

Kawhi is in the best team consistently wise, but he has to do alot, too much on his own too. Aldrige and Gasol are dissapointment and their bench could be better scoring too. But in the way they play together its not necessary right now, but playoff time someone else but Kawhi needs to step up from time to time. Looking at you Lemarcus...
The other 2 disappointments are Green and Parker. Green has forgot to shoot 3s and is only good in defense. Parker is not the player he used to be. Sometimes I think Dejante Murray should be in the discussion for the starting spot. but if Aldridge and Gasol step up they might mask some of the problems Spurs are having

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Parker is finished for a while for me, so I'm not as dissapointed, needs to be fazed out (tho mayne not Murray, talented, but man is he super raw...), Green tho you right, supposed to be one of the better two way role players. But he is instead a weakness for Spurs right now, their shooting in general has turned to shit. Its like they went into collective mental melt down offensively without Tim Duncan around to baby sit them.

Gasol is supposed to be one of the best at what he does despite his age, and Aldridge is near all star level, so them dissapointing and choking is considerably more worrisome for me. Especially Aldridge, ffs he gets franchise player money while Kawhi gets modest figures. He needs to back up his damn worth.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
It's between Kawhi, Westbrook, and Harden. I wouldn't mind if either of Westbrook or Kawhi got it. If you're the only player in the league to average a triple double and keeping your team competitive, then you deserve the MVP, it's that simple for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean he's averaging a fucking triple double, guys.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Parker is finished for a while for me, so I'm not as dissapointed, needs to be fazed out (tho mayne not Murray, talented, but man is he super raw...), Green tho you right, supposed to be one of the better two way role players. But he is instead a weakness for Spurs right now, their shooting in general has turned to shit. Its like they went into collective mental melt down offensively without Tim Duncan around to baby sit them.

Gasol is supposed to be one of the best at what he does despite his age, and Aldridge is near all star level, so them dissapointing and choking is considerably more worrisome for me. Especially Aldridge, ffs he gets franchise player money while Kawhi gets modest figures. He needs to back up his damn worth.
Post injury Gasol is playing like 40 year old Tim Duncan. Though he's surprisingly been good at 3 balls.

- - - Updated - - -

It's between Kawhi, Westbrook, and Harden. I wouldn't mind if either of Westbrook or Kawhi got it. If you're the only player in the league to average a triple double and keeping your team competitive, then you deserve the MVP, it's that simple for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean he's averaging a fucking triple double, guys.
He attempted 340 shots more than the 2nd person!
https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player-stat/field-goals-attempted?season_id=214&rate=season-totals

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Deng and Mozgov will sit out the rest of the season so the young guys can play more. We are paying these guys a combined 34M a year for another 3 seasons after this one :touched:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Deng and Mozgov will sit out the rest of the season so the young guys can play more. We are paying these guys a combined 34M a year for another 3 seasons after this one :touched:
Thanks Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak

On the bright side though, Ingram and Zubac are now getting the proper minutes, and making good use of it. If we can hang on to the 2nd pick and get Lonzo Ball, I would be thrilled.

wait for it................................................ .................

hold on................................................ .................................................. .........

Only because I know you are going to say "I don't know any of the players coming out this year"

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

On the bright side though, Ingram and Zubac are now getting the proper minutes, and making good use of it. If we can hang on to the 2nd pick and get Lonzo Ball, I would be thrilled.

hold on................................................ .................................................. .........

Only because I know you are going to say "I don't know any of the players coming out this year"

I actually heard of this guy because I read some of the comments his father said about him getting a nike deal :p

But this is the kind of all around showtime PG I like, runs the floor so well. He has an ugly jumpshot though, but it looks like he hits them at a good rate. Now lets lose all the games and get him

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I actually heard of this guy because I read some of the comments his father said about him getting a nike deal :p

But this is the kind of all around showtime PG I like, runs the floor so well. He has an ugly jumpshot though, but it looks like he hits them at a good rate. Now lets lose all the games and get him

That's the spirit. Maybe we can get some tips from @<a href="http://www.juventuz.com/member.php?u=14729" target="_blank">ALC</a> on how this whole Process thing is supposed to work out.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is going to be #1?
Probably this guy

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
if we get #1, do we get this guy instead?
That is a good question.

I hate to draft for need, especially at the #1 pick, but my god do we need someone like Lonzo Ball. A Ball/Russell backcourt with a front line of Randle/Zubac, and Ingram is a really good start to the rebuild. Did you see what Zu did the other night in Denver? Youngest Laker to ever get a double-double with at least 25 points. I loved this kid coming out of the draft, but I thought it would take a couple of years to even get to the numbers that he is starting to put up.

And he's only going to be 20 this week.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
That is a good question.

I hate to draft for need, especially at the #1 pick, but my god do we need someone like Lonzo Ball. A Ball/Russell backcourt with a front line of Randle/Zubac, and Ingram is a really good start to the rebuild. Did you see what Zu did the other night in Denver? Youngest Laker to ever get a double-double with at least 25 points. I loved this kid coming out of the draft, but I thought it would take a couple of years to even get to the numbers that he is starting to put up.

And he's only going to be 20 this week.
yes thats what i thought from the limited knowledge i have from both (the 2 videos above), Lonzo fits better with the current group of players, this other guy look like the better scorer but we dont need scoring guard in the current situation if we plan on keeping Russell.

Zubac is a great talent and will become only better with age. he has the skillset to become one of the better centers in the future if he develops correctly. hopefully after this draft we will have a group of 8-9 young players that are one free agent superstar away of being contenders in 2-3 years

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007

Dude looks like a freak.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I understand the Tanking. I get it. If this is the only way to try and secure that pick, then so be it.

But guys, show some fucking heart will you? Back 2 back huge blowout losses? Come on.

And benching D'Angelo serves what purpose? He was playing well since the All-Star break and then you bench him?

I get this sickening feeling that the only two young guys that will survive this off-season will be Zubac and Ingram. I sense a quick fix coming, and that is not going to work

- - - Updated - - -

Dude looks like a freak.
He's a more athletic, better shooting Jason Kidd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 65)