The NBA Thread (26 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
the nba sucks now, it may have good players but not great players. i grew up watching bird, magic, jordan, etc...

none of these teams or players these days can even compare to the legends. keep in mind that jordan is the benchmark, and no one has or ever will compare to his greatness
umm some say Kobe is as good (if not better) than Jordan.

Buy on AliExpress.com

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Eℓvin;1902494 said:
umm some say Kobe is as good (if not better) than Jordan.
and those ppl are morons

kobe and everyone else strive to be jordan, but they will never achieve what he did.

no athlete in the world in any sport will ever compare to jordan and his dominance in any capacity.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
i don't think you grasp what jordan personifies and what he transcends

no disrespect to the great one but there are no arguments nor is there competition when speaking about michael jordan

OP
Giovinco20

Giovinco20

Juventini Forever
Nov 24, 2008
  • Thread Starter #27
    I dont know why the hell Yao Ming isnt able to scoop MVP every season he is the tallest creature in the galaxy.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    ali was defeated later in his career, jordan never lost a championship series which is the equivalent of a title bout. once again, you can attempt to throw names comparable to jordan but they all fail when it comes to #23

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    yao ming is a decent player but basketball isn't a big man's game. historically its always been a guards game and only during the past 10 years (the shaq era) the focus on the 5 spot has dominated the game. unfortunately many teams have wrecked their rosters and sacrificed their draft picks to gear toward acquiring a dominant center to matchup against the likes of shaq, yao, duncan, garnett, etc.. but as all things are, everything reverts back to its own essence and basketball is no different.

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
    I'm a huge magic fan since the mid 1990's...I try to watch all their games, if not I listen to them over the nba website. Our tittle hopes this year got fucked up after jameers shoulder got dislocated.

Me like u is an Orlando Magic fan, particularly Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway. That guy is almost the complete package after MJ. He can drive into the lanes, pull up for a jumper, dunk the ball, post up in 1-on-1 and the vision to find open team mates. Too bad, injuries had taken their toll on him.

Dwight Howard is a monster in the paint and they had also acquire a new point guard in Alston to compensate for the lost of Nelson. They have look stronger than they have ever been for the past 5 - 6 years.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    Basketball is a joke. Be tall and you're good. Also the obsession with stats is pretty ridiculous.
    you are entitled to your opinion but honestly thats a real ignorant thing to say. basketball is not a tall man's game, its actually a guards game and most guards avg height between 5'11"-6'4" (i don't know what the conversion is but its not that tall). yes its an advantage to be tall but it also involves skill and height does not = skill.

there have been numerous tall players who are no better than a dead tree standing on the court so your statement is irrelevant.

in terms of statistics, everyone knows that numbers are a true telling indicator of facts, yes certain things cannot be measured by numbers such as drive, desire, tenacity but overall stats don't lie. this can be applied to real life as well in medicine, commerce, technology, etc..

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
    What I mean is, look at a guy like Yao or Shaq, had they been 190 cms, would they be professional basketball players given their limited skill(?)? I don't watch a lot of basketball but from what I've gathered, they probably wouldn't.

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
    What I mean is, look at a guy like Yao or Shaq, had they been 190 cms, would they be professional basketball players given their limited skill(?)? I don't watch a lot of basketball but from what I've gathered, they probably wouldn't.
    I beg to differ but had Shaq or Yao been 190cm, they probably would not have played the center role and would have developed their game towards being a guard as long as their love for the game is there.

Its because of their physical advantage that they build their game around it. Shaq pumped it up till he is a tremendous physical force and Yao's his footwork ala Olajuwon in the paint. The position they are in now do not require them to do fanciful cross-over dribble and no-look passes but its a plus that they do ...

I agree with Dru that the NBA is not just about being tall.
    The likes of Isiah Thomas, Jordan, Pippen, Penny, Grant Hill and the more recent Kobe, Lebron, T-Mac, D-Wade are not taller than 6-8 and they are all impact players and leaders of their team.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    When talking about guards in the history of the NBA, there are two that stand head and shoulders above all others (for me).

Those gentlemen would be Michael Jordan (who won 6 Championships without a prototypical All-Star low post scorer; he also put in a couple three-peats on either side of a premature retirement, and has an obviously ridiculous list of personal accomplishments) and Magic Johnson who was a 6'9" point guard and a total freak of nature. Magic has some ridiculous career numbers, 5 Championships, a full cabinet of individual awards, and sadly had his career cut short when he contracted the HIV virus.

For me, those two are a full head+ above Kobe at this point in time. We'll have to wait and see how Kobe finishes.

As for the Gretzky debate, Wayne scored over 1000 points more than Howe (who's second on the list with 1800 points, give or take), despite playing 10 (plus) seasons LESS than him (sorry the stats are from my general knowledge, I can't remember the specifics), and I think that legitimately puts him in the same category as Jordan. Hard to compare, but I think Wayne has got to be put in that category - check out how many records he's got, and trophies he's won.

Hockey isn't like basketball, where one fifth of the team can basically be represented by a single all world player (if he's playing over 40 minutes a night). Both obviously require a full team effort, but there are a whole lot more teammates in hockey, which opens up a huge range of variables.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
    I agree with Dru that the NBA is not just about being tall.
    The likes of Isiah Thomas, Jordan, Pippen, Penny, Grant Hill and the more recent Kobe, Lebron, T-Mac, D-Wade are not taller than 6-8 and they are all impact players and leaders of their team.
    Well they are all taller than Peter Crouch, the tallest man in football.

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
    Well they are all taller than Peter Crouch, the tallest man in football.
    Isiah, D-Wade and Kobe are actually shorter than Crouch.

Isiah is in fact no taller than Chiellini at 6 Ft 1 and he is the All-Star Point Guard leading the Detroit Pistons to 2 NBA World Championship in the late 80s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)