The NBA Thread (34 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Who knows? I'm hoping the fact that the Clippers are good at the moment might mean they steal a significant fanbase and become the number 1 team in LA.
Never, ever happen.

Lakers have been there for 50 years, man.

Have you ever been to LA? They are far and away the #1 sports team in that city. When I went out there I thought I died and went to heaven :D.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
And with the West the way it is, I really have to disagree with you about the Lakers being a year away from a playoff spot. They need a miracle at this point, because it seems like the rest of the teams will only keep getting better.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
And with the West the way it is, I really have to disagree with you about the Lakers being a year away from a playoff spot. They need a miracle at this point, because it seems like the rest of the teams will only keep getting better.
I said a year away from being in contention for a playoff spot. I didn't say they were a year away from being in the playoffs. Huge difference.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Never, ever happen.

Lakers have been there for 50 years, man.

Have you ever been to LA? They are far and away the #1 sports team in that city. When I went out there I thought I died and went to heaven :D.
Haha I'm glad you like it there. I was down there for a week last summer, pretty nice, but wouldn't mind living near the beaches. But I'm just keeping my fingers crossed :p

- - - Updated - - -

I said a year away from being in contention for a playoff spot. I didn't say they were a year away from being in the playoffs. Huge difference.
I suppose. looking at the way the west is, almost all the teams are going to be in playoff contention next year, even the Timberwolves.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Haha I'm glad you like it there. I was down there for a week last summer, pretty nice, but wouldn't mind living near the beaches. But I'm just keeping my fingers crossed :p

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose. looking at the way the west is, almost all the teams are going to be in playoff contention next year, even the Timberwolves.
If Jim Buss gets out of Mitch Kupchak's way, they will be just fine.

It was Jim Buss that gave Kobe that stupid contract extension. You don't think for a moment that Kupchak wouldn't have loved to have 50+ million in cap space during last year's free agency bonanza, do you?

He just needs to let Kupchak do his job at GM.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Never understood the draft, can players refuse to join a team?

And what are the chances of Lakers unshitting themselves?

Normally, they can't. But players and their agent let teams knwos their favourite destination and this could be a factor when the player rookie deal is up.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
@Salvo @zizinho

OK. Let's take a look at this, and see where the Lakers roster will be shaping up.

With the #2 pick, let's say the Lakers take Okafor. Therefore, the young nucleus of this squad will be

Okafor
Randle
Clarkson (Who, by the way, made the NBA All Rookie 1st Team)

#27 Pick, and the #34 Pick

It looks like they will have around 20 million in cap space this year, assuming that they don't take up the team option on Jordan Hill.

Unfortunately Nick Young is still on the roster.

Not quite sure where to go with this from here. Do they go with a small forward at 27?

- - - Updated - - -

Emeka never really had a polished offensive game. At least Jahlil has a very good offensive skill set. It's his defense that concerns me.
dont know much about this years draft prospects, what are the players available around that 27th pick? would love to have a player like Ariza at SF again...

but i have a few thoughts about the current group of players. for example, Tarik Black. are we keeping him? i would, i think he could bring a lot of energy coming of the bench, and hes still a rookie. i like players like him. of others, i also hope we keep Wesley Johnson and Ed Davis, and somehow trade away Nick Young. those are some of my wishes for this team.

do you have any idea what they will do with Lin? is he worth keeping and would he accept a low(er) salary? and ofcourse, Bryant. should we tank with him in the team and prepare for 2016 free agency? would he accept such a strategy? how likely is it we use this current free agency (Rondo, Gasol...) and try to push for another playoff season while hes still here? id rather not do that (though signing Marc Gasol would be amazing :tuttosport:)

all in all, the squad looks very good currently. Bryant, Clarkson, Young, Johnson, Randle, Black, Towns/Okafor, Davis, 27 pick (hopefully SF, like you say), still need a few players, but i like it. trade away Young, get some shooters, a reliable PG and thats a damn good foundation for the next years

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
dont know much about this years draft prospects, what are the players available around that 27th pick? would love to have a player like Ariza at SF again...

but i have a few thoughts about the current group of players. for example, Tarik Black. are we keeping him? i would, i think he could bring a lot of energy coming of the bench, and hes still a rookie. i like players like him. of others, i also hope we keep Wesley Johnson and Ed Davis, and somehow trade away Nick Young. those are some of my wishes for this team.

do you have any idea what they will do with Lin? is he worth keeping and would he accept a low(er) salary? and ofcourse, Bryant. should we tank with him in the team and prepare for 2016 free agency? would he accept such a strategy? how likely is it we use this current free agency (Rondo, Gasol...) and try to push for another playoff season while hes still here? id rather not do that (though signing Marc Gasol would be amazing :tuttosport:)

all in all, the squad looks very good currently. Bryant, Clarkson, Young, Johnson, Randle, Black, Towns/Okafor, Davis, 27 pick (hopefully SF, like you say), still need a few players, but i like it. trade away Young, get some shooters, a reliable PG and thats a damn good foundation for the next years
Buddy, they are about a 1000 miles away from very good. :D

Davis opted out of his contract, so he will only come back if the price is right. Lin can go far far away for all I care. Tarik Black is someone that I would certainly take back, as he is a vicious rebounder. They are a couple of years away from being a playoff contender, and that of course all depends on what they do in free agency in 2016

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Buddy, they are about a 1000 miles away from very good. :D

Davis opted out of his contract, so he will only come back if the price is right. Lin can go far far away for all I care. Tarik Black is someone that I would certainly take back, as he is a vicious rebounder. They are a couple of years away from being a playoff contender, and that of course all depends on what they do in free agency in 2016
:D

good as in good to compared what we had last couple of years. some very talented young guys, and there are more coming in. with a few good moves this summer, we are well prepared for 2016.

i agree that they are currently far from competing, hope they have a good plan for when Kobe leaves in a year

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Well, they definitely need a SF, of that there is no doubt. I know that Randle has lost about 20 pounds, so I don't know if they are going to try him there. There is a kid whose last name is Anderson that is from the University of Virginia to keep an eye on. If he can improve his mid-range jumper he could be a value pick at #27. However, I do not know if he would be there if that were the case

So, I'm looking online and reading stories about the draft, and to no one's surprise, Okafor and Towns would rather be the #2 pick instead of going to Minnesota at #1 :howler:
Lol @ the T wolves. Should be interesting. I'm pretty excited.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@King of Kings

Do you still see the Lakers going for Bledsoe again? What about the Draft, going for another big man in Okafor/Towns or a PG
No, not at this point, to be honest with you. I think they want to give Jordan Clarkson a real opportunity to see what he can do. I had maintained prior to the draft that he was a 1st round talent and I have no idea how he slipped to the 2nd round last year. I'm so glad that the Lakers bought that draft pick from the Wizards.

For me, prior to free agency, I would love to see the Lakers grab one of Okafor/Towns with the 2nd pick, a SF with the 27th pick, and possibly a backup PG/SG with the 34th pick. This draft is deeper than I thought it would be.

Itztli

'Curious'
May 12, 2011
No, not at this point, to be honest with you. I think they want to give Jordan Clarkson a real opportunity to see what he can do. I had maintained prior to the draft that he was a 1st round talent and I have no idea how he slipped to the 2nd round last year. I'm so glad that the Lakers bought that draft pick from the Wizards.

For me, prior to free agency, I would love to see the Lakers grab one of Okafor/Towns with the 2nd pick, a SF with the 27th pick, and possibly a backup PG/SG with the 34th pick. This draft is deeper than I thought it would be.
Can't lie, would like to see a combo of Randle and Okafor at the Lakers. Would give them real presences in paint.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Can't lie, would like to see a combo of Randle and Okafor at the Lakers. Would give them real presences in paint.
And I can't lie when I say that I would love to see Karl Anthony Towns on the Lakers. Not that I would be disappointed with Okafor, but Towns has a higher ceiling. His numbes are skewed by the fact that he only palyed 20 minutes per game at Kentucky. Yet, he still averaged over 2 blocks per game. He is immense defensively. And he's got a good touch. Not many 7 footers can shoot 82% from the charity stripe.

Itztli

'Curious'
May 12, 2011
And I can't lie when I say that I would love to see Karl Anthony Towns on the Lakers. Not that I would be disappointed with Okafor, but Towns has a higher ceiling. His numbes are skewed by the fact that he only palyed 20 minutes per game at Kentucky. Yet, he still averaged over 2 blocks per game. He is immense defensively. And he's got a good touch. Not many 7 footers can shoot 82% from the charity stripe.
Towns would be good choice for Lakers, then again with the second pick, you can't be dissatisfied with your pick. Future looks good for the Lakers. Wish I could say the same for the Heat.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Towns would be good choice for Lakers, then again with the second pick, you can't be dissatisfied with your pick. Future looks good for the Lakers. Wish I could say the same for the Heat.
I just hope they don't trade that pick for a quick fix. They need to build with a young core of players. Lakers fans, well at least in regards to myself, are more patient than the management thinks. If we can see that they are building something for the future, then we are cool with it. If this year is another year with the Wesley Johnson's of the world, I'm going to lose my mind

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
I just hope they don't trade that pick for a quick fix. They need to build with a young core of players. Lakers fans, well at least in regards to myself, are more patient than the management thinks. If we can see that they are building something for the future, then we are cool with it. If this year is another year with the Wesley Johnson's of the world, I'm going to lose my mind
http://journey2eighteen.sportsblog....ck---julius-randle-for-lamarcus-aldridge.html

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 27)