The NBA Thread (58 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Townes is a beast. That kid is silly good.
He's got Tim Duncan written all over him. He's a little raw right now offensively, but he's got a great touch around the basket, can play defense, is an immense shot blocker, and his offensive game will improve. He also shot over 80% from the free throw line for a kid who is 7 feet tall.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@Salvo @zizinho

OK. Let's take a look at this, and see where the Lakers roster will be shaping up.

With the #2 pick, let's say the Lakers take Okafor. Therefore, the young nucleus of this squad will be

Okafor
Randle
Clarkson (Who, by the way, made the NBA All Rookie 1st Team)

#27 Pick, and the #34 Pick

It looks like they will have around 20 million in cap space this year, assuming that they don't take up the team option on Jordan Hill.

Unfortunately Nick Young is still on the roster.

Not quite sure where to go with this from here. Do they go with a small forward at 27?

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully he doesn't turn like the last Okafor.
Emeka never really had a polished offensive game. At least Jahlil has a very good offensive skill set. It's his defense that concerns me.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
@Salvo @zizinho

OK. Let's take a look at this, and see where the Lakers roster will be shaping up.

With the #2 pick, let's say the Lakers take Okafor. Therefore, the young nucleus of this squad will be

Okafor
Randle
Clarkson (Who, by the way, made the NBA All Rookie 1st Team)

#27 Pick, and the #34 Pick

It looks like they will have around 20 million in cap space this year, assuming that they don't take up the team option on Jordan Hill.

Unfortunately Nick Young is still on the roster.

Not quite sure where to go with this from here. Do they go with a small forward at 27?

- - - Updated - - -

Emeka never really had a polished offensive game. At least Jahlil has a very good offensive skill set. It's his defense that concerns me.
SF or SG, that is if we plan to play Clarkson as a PG in the long run. We want Marc Gasol apparently. But I dont know much about this draft.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
SF or SG, that is if we plan to play Clarkson as a PG in the long run. We want Marc Gasol apparently. But I dont know much about this draft.
Well, they definitely need a SF, of that there is no doubt. I know that Randle has lost about 20 pounds, so I don't know if they are going to try him there. There is a kid whose last name is Anderson that is from the University of Virginia to keep an eye on. If he can improve his mid-range jumper he could be a value pick at #27. However, I do not know if he would be there if that were the case

So, I'm looking online and reading stories about the draft, and to no one's surprise, Okafor and Towns would rather be the #2 pick instead of going to Minnesota at #1 :howler:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Never understood the draft, can players refuse to join a team?

And what are the chances of Lakers unshitting themselves?
No, they can't refuse. NBA is the company they play for if you wanna think of it that way.

Eli Manning is the one I can think of who refused to play and I'm not sure why they allowed him to remain.

- - - Updated - - -

And I hope the lakers never unshit themselves.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

Well, it gets pretty tricky. Theoretically they could refuse to join that team, but the team that drafts him holds his rights for a year, and then he goes back into the draft again. If a player is willing to sacrifice a year of guaranteed salary and push back his free agency another year, then more power to them.

In the case of players who are drafted from Europe and South America that are playing professionally, it is a whole different animal. In order for a player to get out of his contract to play in the NBA when drafted, the player, not the team that drafted him, is responsible for coming up with the money to pay the buyout clause. More often than not, they don't have that money, which is why some players drafted overseas are at least a couple of years away from joining the NBA.

As far as the Lakers are concerned, they need to build their core through the draft, and last year's picks and this year's will go a long way towards that. The rest will have to be through free agency, as their first round picks for the next two years are more than likely going to other teams as a result of previous trades.

They are at least a year away from being in playoff contention, unless everything goes right this year. They will certainly be in a better position after this season when the salary cap goes way up, and Bryant's contract will be off the books. If the numbers are true, they could have, unless they sign a big free agent this year, upwards of 80 million in salary cap space after this season.

So, if you add that to a young core of Okafor/Towns (REALLY REALLY hope its Towns), Randle, Clarkson, and whomever they get with the 27th pick, they could be taking the right steps to getting back to the elite. But it will take time.

- - - Updated - - -

No, they can't refuse. NBA is the company they play for if you wanna think of it that way.

Eli Manning is the one I can think of who refused to play and I'm not sure why they allowed him to remain.

- - - Updated - - -

And I hope the lakers never unshit themselves.
Sorry man. This is the Lakers you are talking about. They are never down for long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 53)