The More Obscure Sides of Football (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
There's some aspects of the game that people don't know much about. Let's try to change that.

1. What's the stuff that they spray onto a player's legs when they're in pain?
2. In a few matches, I've seen the players warming up in a little underground room near the benches. Is that in every stadium?
3. What exactly happens at half-time? Do the players get frozen oranges and tighten their shoelaces?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
1. Something to cool the injury, I dont know what it's called.

2. No, in most stadiums the players warm up by the sidelines.

3. They sit around in the dressing room, the coach tells them what to do, they drink water (dont eat), give eachothers pep talks, some of them get a boot in the face... you know, the usual...

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    :rofl: that was smooth

What kind of coin does the referee use? Local currency or a standard "referee's coin"?

Why do I sometimes see the referee writing on the yellow card?

Where do the officials go at half-time? Do they go to the dressing room and have a rest, giving each other pep talks?

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    1. The type of the coin doesnt matter really, all they need is a coin that has two sides.

2. They write the number and name of the player that has been booked. That way when they book someone they can see if he already has a yellow card.

3. They have their own dressing room, they sit down, take a break, talk about where the games is going (for exapme if its too violent they talk about how to calm it down) and get prepared for the second half.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    1. I know it doesn't matter, but it's worth a thought

2. They don't always write on the yellow card though; a lot of the time he just writes it in his notebook. Does he write on the red card? Pretty hard to see, innit? :D

any questions of ur own?

bah i gotta sleep now so i can wake up and watch Real-Bayern

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    2. Yeah, it depends from ref to ref, some like to write it in their notebooks and some on the cards... btw, shouldt refs have little hand held computers? :D

Anyways, no, I have no questions... :undecide:

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    1. Something to cool the injury, I dont know what it's called.

2. No, in most stadiums the players warm up by the sidelines.

3. They sit around in the dressing room, the coach tells them what to do, they drink water (dont eat), give eachothers pep talks, some of them get a boot in the face... you know, the usual...
    1. Well they don't exactly cool the injury. They cool the muscels so that
    blod won't rush in the injured area and make it swell...

3. Sometimes they can have a banana or one or two orange wedge...

lol @ the boot in the face! :D

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    I have some questions:

1) Do the players get new uniforms everytime they play a match. If so, what do they do with the old uniforms.

2) Once a ball has been used in a match, is it re-used for other matches?

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Heh heh... I liked a "boot in a face" part.

On the yellow card, I recall reading in the "World Soccer" that on referee in South America has given the same player two yellow cards but didn't give a red card. It turned out that rain washed away the notes in his notebook and the guy simply didn't remember :)

My questions:

1) An additional 4th referee has been recently introduced. What exactly is his role?

2) Players travelling to another city/country love to go out after the game for drinking/clubbing, etc. Do they ever get beaten up by unfriendly fans?

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    I have some questions:

1) Do the players get new uniforms everytime they play a match. If so, what do they do with the old uniforms.

I'm not 100% sure but here it goes!

1. Many players exchange jerseys with eachothers. Most of the time this
    happens as they are going towards the locker room so we don't see it happen very often. Then there is the prints on the jerseys that don't survive mora than some few washes. so I would say they
    are getting new kits for every game.

2. good question! :D

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Pendir ] ++
    Heh heh... I liked a "boot in a face" part.

On the yellow card, I recall reading in the "World Soccer" that on referee in South America has given the same player two yellow cards but didn't give a red card. It turned out that rain washed away the notes in his notebook and the guy simply didn't remember :)

My questions:

1) An additional 4th referee has been recently introduced. What exactly is his role?

2) Players travelling to another city/country love to go out after the game for drinking/clubbing, etc. Do they ever get beaten up by unfriendly fans?
    * Take care of the substitutions.
    * checking the shoes of the player who is set to be substituet in the game!
    * Some 4th referees also calculate how much additional time there should be

2. I'm sure they are not allowed to go out clubbing and drinking! :p
    If It's a big tournament like WC they can have free time checking the city, but no clubbing or drinking!

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    2. They write the number and name of the player that has been booked. That way when they book someone they can see if he already has a yellow card.
    i doubt they write a name, cause they dont know all the players names and mostly players who get carded walk away without showing their name. and names are not always writen on shirts.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Oh maaaan!

This "CIAO DINO" thing on the right tribune has been bothering me for so long that I wouldn't be surprised to see it on a new Delle Alphi in 2006! :)

And by the way- I don't understand how players exchange dirty, stinky, nasty used jerseys with one another? Hell, I would come up to the player and ask him to arrange me with a brand new fresh jersey with an autograph!

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    I have some questions:

1. not in the poorer leagues. clubs simply cant afford new shirts for every game. clubs in major leagues probably change their shirts every game.

2. i'm pretty much sure that yes, they are reused.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Oh maaaan!

This "CIAO DINO" thing on the right tribune has been bothering me for so long that I wouldn't be surprised to see it on a new Delle Alphi in 2006! :)

:LOL:

me too.. all the matches i see in delle alpi,, i check that "CIAO DINO" thing.... thinking about what is it!

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19

:rofl:

My questions:

I thought the 4th official has always been there. The only thing I see him do is hold up the sign with the numbers to indicate substitutions and extra time.

1. Many players exchange jerseys with eachothers.
    That leads us to an even more difficult question: what the heck do players do with jerseys of other teams!?

And by the way- I don't understand how players exchange dirty, stinky, nasty used jerseys with one another? Hell, I would come up to the player and ask him to arrange me with a brand new fresh jersey with an autograph!
    Okay, if you were playing for a team that played against Juve and u had to exchange jerseys with Nedved after the match, would you take the one off his back, or ask for a crisp new one for him to sign?

I'd take the disgusting sweaty one without hesitation

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

That leads us to an even more difficult question: what the heck do players do with jerseys of other teams!?
    i used to ask the same question. :confused:

but my bro told me (not that i believe him entirely :p ) "just for keeps. u know how expensive jerseys can be....what better way to get 'em for free, from the player himself. the sweat and all are bonus...."

i know that the players can more than afford to buy 'em, but if u can get it for free......wudnt u want it? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)