The greatest defender the world has ever seen(new discussion) (1 Viewer)

Who is he?

• Nesta

• Kohler

• Sammer

• Cannavaro

• Moore

• Thuram

• Hierro (mark,you on drugs?)

• Scirea

• Gentile

• Baresi

• Beckenbauer

• Passarella

• Lizarazu

• Desailly

• Maldini

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
At Milan until this season he was the best defender in the world too. Then Cannavaro joined him at the top again when he joined Juventus.

Italy in Nesta and Cannavaro created two of the best defenders the game has ever seen.
gentile, scirea,maldini,baresi....i could go on but the point is canna and nesta were teh best of their generation no doubt but they are far off being the best the game has ever seen

OP
Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #4
    gentile, scirea,maldini,baresi....i could go on but the point is canna and nesta were teh best of their generation no doubt but they are far off being the best the game has ever seen
    Watch the WC again and watch the manner Cannavaro played in his two season in Juventus.

Watch Nesta for Lazio and his years in Milan except this season.

Anyone with the least bit of intelligence can see that both Cannavaro and Nesta are on level with Ronaldo in Barcelona, Maradona, etc.

No doubt and no discussion. :eyebrows:

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    Watch the WC again and watch the manner Cannavaro played in his two season in Juventus.

Watch Nesta for Lazio and his years in Milan except this season.

Anyone with the least bit of intelligence can see that both Cannavaro and Nesta are on level with Ronaldo in Barcelona, Maradona, etc.

No doubt and no discussion. :eyebrows:
    seriously we have had this discussion before. go and watch some older games. go and watch the 82 world cup match between italy and argentina and watch caludio gentile man-mark maradonna out of the game, he gave him absolutely no room to move, and maradonna famously said "what will you do if i go to the tiolet?" to which gentile said " i would follow you there also"

i am in no doubt canna and nesta are the 2 best of their generation in the world but they are still behind some of the supreme italian defenders of teh past.

you cannot seriously call them the 2 greatest ever wthout looking into teh pat and seeing some of teh greats like beckenbauer,passarella,baresi and the aforementioned greats of juve scirea and gentile

OP
    Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #6
    I don't think the problem is watching the old stars or not. To me it seems you would rather glorify Gentile than Nesta solely because he played in a time of football that you enjoy more.

Nesta and Cannavaro ARE the best defenders ever. And if you can't accept that there is something desperately lacking in your way of reading the game.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    I don't think the problem is watching the old stars or not. To me it seems you would rather glorify Gentile than Nesta solely because he played in a time of football that you enjoy more.

Nesta and Cannavaro ARE the best defenders ever. And if you can't accept that there is something desperately lacking in your way of reading the game.
    How can you know who is the best defender ever when you are watching football for only 10 years??

OP
    Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #8
    Let him answer for himself, Mark. ;)

Nesta and Cannavaro are the best. Running around that fact means you have failed to see what is there to be seen. And that is the supreme quality of those players which is only found in the true mega stars like Maradona and the rest of that gang.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
    The defence the Azzurri brought to the world cup in 2006 was without a doubt the best the world has ever seen. Even including Gattuso and our backup defenders. Materazzi was a beast coming off the bench and Barzagli filled in exceptionally in his absense. It was a sensational defensive squad. All the way through the lineup at all positions, everyone really clicked. Brilliant work once again by Mr. Marcello Lippi.

BUFFON
    ZAMBROTTA-CANNAVARO-NESTA/MATERAZZI-GROSSO
    GATTUSO

2 Goals let up in the entire tournament. One an own goal, and one a penalty from Zidane.

How do you compete with that?

2006 World Cup Winner was the only solution possible. I will miss certain players in 2010.

Who do you think will start for the Azzurri by then?

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    Some people get so fired up on these forums. I must admit that this is the first forums where I have made multiple posts and I just didn't expect to see so much immaturity. Not to be rude, but some people really need to take these less seriously and try to understand that other people have opinons and it isn't the opinion that is the enemy.

Instead of saying someone is stupid or questioning someone's knowledge, why don't you ask how they came to that conclusion. You could learn things from even the most unlikely sources.

Sorry to sound like a preacher, but something needs to be said about the behavior of some people. Hopefully, we will have more intelligent discussions in the future.
    I know what you are saying, but isn´t he biased? I mean, he can say that Canna and Nesta are best for him or that they are the best defenders in the last 5 years or something like that, but he just cannot say they are the best defender who walked on this planet EVER. He cannot say that because he didn´t watch defenders who were playing 30 years ago. And he is even saying that the others who don´t consider Nesta and Cannavaro the best ever are STUPID. Isn´t that rude in your opinion??

You are a reasonable guy and hopefully you will understand me.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005

actually no, the older generations were probably more tactically minded whereas the modern footballer is a much betetr athlete. the reason i hold some of these players in such high regard is because i actually took the time out to analyse their games. yes thats right i tracked down some of the classic WC and european matches over the course of my youngish life and watched some of these greats in action.

now you think that cana and nesta are the greatest ever, the same way that you think emerson was better than deschamps and tardelli. now i am not trying to say you are an idiot, or that yout opinion isnt valid.

BUT, how can you be so stubbornly sure of yourself when you havent taken your finger out of your ass and actually watched games with these players?

cannavaro and nesta are world class, they are the best defenders of their generation, however, you simply cannot call them teh greatest ever without watching any games of players of the calibre of beckenbauer,etc...

thats like saying ronaldo is better than pele because you havent seen pele play. ronaldinho is better than maradonna because you havent seen maradonna play, or that neddy(who i love) is better than platini simply because you havent seen platini play.

we have already had this conversation and until you realise just how good these players are then i cant continue this one.

OP
    Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #17
    Read my posts again, Mark. The word 'stupid' was not present.

I said this:

Besides we all know the real reason Mark83 is spending so much energy on questioning my posts. Ever since I defended FC Barcelona and what this club did for my beloved sport he has been like this.

But if you do want me to say something to you mark, here it is:

You have a lack of class.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
    I know what you are saying, but isn´t he biased? I mean, he can say that Canna and Nesta are best for him or that they are the best defenders in the last 5 years or something like that, but he just cannot say they are the best defender who walked on this planet EVER. He cannot say that because he didn´t watch defenders who were playing 30 years ago. And he is even saying that the others who don´t consider Nesta and Cannavaro the best ever are STUPID. Isn´t that rude in your opinion??

You are a reasonable guy and hopefully you will understand me.
    I do understand and I didn't think my post was defending or attacking anyone. It was a general comment designed to hopefully re-establish intelligent conversation on these forums.

Anyone can say anything they want. When people make bold comments like that, they must be prepared to defend them. But, when insults start firing about it just ruins the thread. A little sniping comment here or there is expected, but not taken too personally.

Of course, the comment was rude and it is proof of exactly what I am talking about in my previous post. Now, lets please return to the convo.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
    actually no, the older generations were probably more tactically minded whereas the modern footballer is a much betetr athlete. the reason i hold some of these players in such high regard is because i actually took the time out to analyse their games. yes thats right i tracked down some of the classic WC and european matches over the course of my youngish life and watched some of these greats in action.

now you think that cana and nesta are the greatest ever, the same way that you think emerson was better than deschamps and tardelli. now i am not trying to say you are an idiot, or that yout opinion isnt valid.

BUT, how can you be so stubbornly sure of yourself when you havent taken your finger out of your ass and actually watched games with these players?

cannavaro and nesta are world class, they are the best defenders of their generation, however, you simply cannot call them teh greatest ever without watching any games of players of the calibre of beckenbauer,etc...

thats like saying ronaldo is better than pele because you havent seen pele play. ronaldinho is better than maradonna because you havent seen maradonna play, or that neddy(who i love) is better than platini simply because you havent seen platini play.

we have already had this conversation and until you realise just how good these players are then i cant continue this one.
    I think the point of this post really takes the purpose of this entire thread away. If we can't compare any player from this generation with any player of past generations than why even debate?

People only know what they have seen for themselves and therefore, unless someone was born in the late 1800's for the start of the Serie A than no one can comment.

This is all about opinion. I too beleive that older generations were smarter tactically. Very good point.

"Best Defender in the World"

To me means, who is playing now and I would go with Cannavaro because he was so outstanding for Juve and the Azzurri that I will cancel anything wrong he has ever done at Real.

He was an outstanding leader and his performance for Lippi in the WC was the most amazing display of defending I remember seeing. Although, Buffon made me say the same thing. What a WC.

OP
    Ascension

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
  • Thread Starter #20

I'm sorry but I cannot agree with something that is not true. And if you don't believe me you can believe the best football expert we have in Denmark - Morten Bruun.

In the build up for the WC final in Germany last summer he said that Cannavaro's value on a football pitch is not inferior to that of Ronaldinho's.

I did see Platini play and I realised that he was on level with Maradona. So, I included him in my all time classic Juventus team.

As much as you feel there is no need for you to debate with me on this issue and think that you are right because you saw all these players like Tardelli and Gentile you simply cannot win an argument against the common sense that Nesta and Cannavaro are on level with the greats of this game.

Your stubborness can only be cured with an ounce of enlightment on your part. And that requires accepting certain truths about the game you refuse to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)