The games are afoot: general Euro 2004 discussion thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

And it confirmed many of the accusations at WC 2002: some people would rather dismiss the entire sport than to have to stomach their perennial favorites losing to new teams that challenge their historical dominance.
My words were not directed to the entire sport, but specifically to this eurocup 2004. Why? because the quality of the football played was in notable contrast with the quality of the players involved. This happens, probably, due to the long season fatigue of some of them, and also to the incapacity of trainers to make a real teamplay with so much talents...

But the fact, is that, the only team i really saw at his real playing level was Czechs,...some sparks from England, Denmark, 30 minutes of Italy, ...portugal, holland and france way down his real capacity... a greece that can win all, but pardon me, playing an horrid football( remainds me of old Italy in his darkest hour).

And, yes i have the stomach to see my Italy get kicked in the asss, but, at the end, i saw the euro because i enjoy good football, and IMO, there was not much of it in this EURO...

Thanks, Nedved and his boys....:thumb:
All the others, are in debt.........:rolleyes:

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Kudos to Otto Reghagel for transforming this average bunch of individuals to a collective unit of absolute class and determination

They defended like champions and covered every blade of grass like grasshoppers and deserve to be in the final

Not because they are defensive but because they are organised and there is the difference between them and most of the dross that came to this championships

They all fight for eachother and the lone striker though starved of the ball did a yeoman's job in every game , compare him to Vieri

The Italians were hugely disappointing as they are better than what they achieved but if your manager is useless then nothing you can do about it

The English, well, as long as we cannot have midfielders that can dominate games by holding onto the ball and dictating the tempo of the game then we would never win anything cos if the only player that can hold onto the ball in a squad of 23 players is an 18 year old you have problems

Scoring goals has neevr been a problem its just how we play that leaves a lot to be desired

The Dutch , well Advocaat should be publicly flogged, how on earth can a team that had Ruud, Mckaay, Kliuvert and Van Hoiijdonk, play with just the one striker and start almost every game with Van Der Meyde, the worst winger bar camoranesi in the tournament

They just won 1 match and very fortunate for me to get to semis as they were just crap thruout and were baffling against Portugal

Commiserations to the Czechs as they went for it in all games and deserved to be at least in the final but thats football

Portugal just greww and grew and is it not typical that the worst portugal side in the last 8 years for me might be the one that goes on to win something

Italy, well you should have been more daring

Spain well you ought to have fired Saez as soon as he called up Raul Bravo to the squad

France every era has to end and for goodness sakes change your defense with younger players and drop Silvestre altogether

Holland at least there is no way Advoccat would still be in charge so thats a consolation

England on the grandest stage we aint good enuff and please stop the overrating of players in the premiership, its not the best in the world, Gerrard has never been and is not likely to be the best midfielder in Europe, Henry is not the best in the world and please let a gem in Rooney improve in peace but that not likely to ever happen

Germany well you actually did better than i expected as your guys are big name players , pity none of your strikers are better than Emile heskey

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Kudos to Otto Reghagel for transforming this average bunch of individuals to a collective unit of absolute class and determination

They defended like champions and covered every blade of grass like grasshoppers and deserve to be in the final

Not because they are defensive but because they are organised and there is the difference between them and most of the dross that came to this championships

They all fight for eachother and the lone striker though starved of the ball did a yeoman's job in every game , compare him to Vieri

The Italians were hugely disappointing as they are better than what they achieved but if your manager is useless then nothing you can do about it

The English, well, as long as we cannot have midfielders that can dominate games by holding onto the ball and dictating the tempo of the game then we would never win anything cos if the only player that can hold onto the ball in a squad of 23 players is an 18 year old you have problems

Scoring goals has neevr been a problem its just how we play that leaves a lot to be desired

The Dutch , well Advocaat should be publicly flogged, how on earth can a team that had Ruud, Mckaay, Kliuvert and Van Hoiijdonk, play with just the one striker and start almost every game with Van Der Meyde, the worst winger bar camoranesi in the tournament

They just won 1 match and very fortunate for me to get to semis as they were just crap thruout and were baffling against Portugal

Commiserations to the Czechs as they went for it in all games and deserved to be at least in the final but thats football

Portugal just greww and grew and is it not typical that the worst portugal side in the last 8 years for me might be the one that goes on to win something

Italy, well you should have been more daring

Spain well you ought to have fired Saez as soon as he called up Raul Bravo to the squad

France every era has to end and for goodness sakes change your defense with younger players and drop Silvestre altogether

Holland at least there is no way Advoccat would still be in charge so thats a consolation

England on the grandest stage we aint good enuff and please stop the overrating of players in the premiership, its not the best in the world, Gerrard has never been and is not likely to be the best midfielder in Europe, Henry is not the best in the world and please let a gem in Rooney improve in peace but that not likely to ever happen

Germany well you actually did better than i expected as your guys are big name players , pity none of your strikers are better than Emile heskey
Nice Euro report.;)
All,so right.
FORZA CZECH!!! i love the team no matter what,for me they are the best with Portugal in Europe.right now.:stuckup:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Quality post as always denco

But if you want goal-scoring machines for entertainment, we've got basketball for that. There's so much scoring, in fact, that the act of scoring has been rendered almost meaningless.
I dunno man, imho the act of scoring is hardly rendered meaningless due to a high-scoring match. If anything, I think that a high-scoring 'glorifies' to a certain extent the beauty of goals in football as opposed to the routine nature of scoring in a sport like basketball.

While to a neutral spectator, a result like 0-0 or 1-0 lays further stake to the claim by non-football fans that it's a boring sport, a more 'exciting' result like 3-2 would show the importance of goals in the sport.

Oh man I have no idea what I just said. Probably best if you ignore what I just said, I've been waking up at 4:30am almost every day for the past couple of weeks to watch the Euros :sleepy:

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++

My words were not directed to the entire sport, but specifically to this eurocup 2004. Why? because the quality of the football played was in notable contrast with the quality of the players involved. This happens, probably, due to the long season fatigue of some of them, and also to the incapacity of trainers to make a real teamplay with so much talents...
no. this happens simply becoz football is a team sport.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
While to a neutral spectator, a result like 0-0 or 1-0 lays further stake to the claim by non-football fans that it's a boring sport, a more 'exciting' result like 3-2 would show the importance of goals in the sport.
I completely agree there. My father, clearly not a football fan, always jokes when I'm watching a match, saying, "I bet you I can guess the score: 0-0". And, of course, it seems almost half the time he is right -- even into the second half.

But I don't think all the public dishing on the Euro this year really has anything to do with Greece's style of play, etc. That argument is a red herring. If this was the CL and Juve were winning games 1-0 in the same manner, toppling the likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan, I don't suspect so many of us would be saying, "This Euro sucks", or "What a boring tournament", or "I lost interest a long time ago"...

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
There's something about Greece... its not like they playing with 10 defence.... but they just can get the game to go their way....something about them that suck every bit of creativity and motivation from the opposing team... it struck me early in the 2nd half of Czech game.'heyy.. this is Greece's ' game..this how they win portugal and france and drew spain....'... my overconfidence that Czech would get away with the game goes down the drain... i seriously expecting Grece would win it...and win they did... you cant blame them not entertaining the people... they have no obligation to do so.. thats the primadonna teams job.... they are just excercise their right to win the tournament like the other 15 contestants.. the difference is, their way works.... i hope greece win it... their victory will be more valuable to their people compare to if it goes to Italy, France or Holland.....

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Nice post Denco, Rooney has one hell of a future and in my eyes he can play anywhere in the world. Very young and gifted player who Id like to see in an Italian team. Imagine him Sheva and Kaka strikeforce. Nuff time for him though. By the way isnt there a 3rd place match Czech vs Holland. I cant see no listings on tele?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Nope, there are never 3rd place matches in the European Championships. In the World Cup, yes, but not in the Euros :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
That was an awesome match :thumb: Better than the final

I was so touched when all the players embraced eachother and waved eachother's flags :cool:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Definitely one of the more entertaining parts of the game.

But I also gotta wonder if the joke is also on Barca. Now how many titles have they won since Figo left?? :rolleyes:

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003

But I also gotta wonder if the joke is also on Barca. Now how many titles have they won since Figo left?? :rolleyes:
It made Figo quite mad though

This incident was the highlight of the match and one of the top 5 of the Eurocup

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004

The man was having a Barca flag and threw it on Figo...I guess Figo knew the message .. It was a cool scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)