The games are afoot: general Euro 2004 discussion thread (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++

Spot on dude.
Fantastic attitude by the Czech's. Did you see the fierce shot that hit the woodwork from Poborsky :eek: Thoroughly deserved the win but I expected more from Kohler(sp).
That was massive. Like Nedveds shot! Damn, volley ahot and the keeper had to make a great save!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++

Spot on dude.
Fantastic attitude by the Czech's. Did you see the fierce shot that hit the woodwork from Poborsky :eek: Thoroughly deserved the win but I expected more from Kohler(sp).
Poborsky did a good game, he did a very good effort on the right side

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
gr8 comeback.....much respect to the latvians of course.

Rosicky played well in a deeper role. collected the balls, showed a good fighting atituide and did well.
and most of the time he didnt do squat :frown:

River

Jun 15, 2004
They wont do that if they play Ronaldo again. Hes such a waste of space. To worried about trying needless skills and has no idea about how to actually cross or pass to someone.

Yes he scored a goal when he came on, but did anyone see how many crosses he messed up? Out of 8 crosses, 7 were completely useless.

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
Portugal did a good game...and Russia did a good one too in the second half.

IMO the referee wasn't fair when he sent off the Russian goalie...he didn't touch the ball IMO

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
As for Spain...Raul is still out of form and this is affecting Spain

Joaquin did an excellent game

Greece....they are still making impressions and now they have an easy game against Russia

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Either Portugal, Spain or Greece HAVE to go out so that's good news for Italy granted that they qualify.

Kevin

Apr 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
They wont do that if they play Ronaldo again. Hes such a waste of space. To worried about trying needless skills and has no idea about how to actually cross or pass to someone.

Yes he scored a goal when he came on, but did anyone see how many crosses he messed up? Out of 8 crosses, 7 were completely useless.
He crossed to the second post, when asked why he kept doing that he replied that United taught him that as good midfielders should be at the second post which they should have been. Btw, 3 dangerous crosses today, 1 assist with the outside of his right. Also remember: he is RIGHT FOOTED, you expected a 19-year old on his debut in front of his own crowd do pin point crosses with his weaker left? He did a decent game and he showed great character by not going hiding when he started his debut by giving a stupid penalty away. To quote a Portuguese journalist: "on his own he breached this 'inpenetrable' Greek defence which none of the other portuguese players could do all game long". I think he's gonna be class.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Yes i dont deny his talent. But he lacks in many areas. Im in not judging this on that one game, rather his full time with ManU.

And the excuse you have given is silly. Pass to the far post because thats what good strikers should do? Even when the player isnt there and a player is completely open in the centre? Come on..

And im glad he had a good game, but i think he is completely over rated as a player. Hes a potential and nothing more.

Kevin

Apr 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
Yes i dont deny his talent. But he lacks in many areas. Im in not judging this on that one game, rather his full time with ManU.

And the excuse you have given is silly. Pass to the far post because thats what good strikers should do? Even when the player isnt there and a player is completely open in the centre? Come on..

And im glad he had a good game, but i think he is completely over rated as a player. Hes a potential and nothing more.
That's funny, as my second favorite team is Man United, I have seen all his games and he's been their best player since the last quarter plus of the season winning 8 consecutive MOTM awards or something and deserved his praise. He has also been voted as their best player this season. Even the scousers are starting to admit how good he is (just another one today who's always bitter came over to say "credit where credit's due, he's an amazing talent and if he continues this you'll have a gem on ur hands").
Also, this is on another forum that explains how a winger is not always able to look before he passes:

"I'm surprised that so many people are criticising C.Ronaldo for his "poor crossing".Although his crossing wasn't the greatest,he did have some good crosses and most of them went to the far post.He always had at least a couple of defenders around him when he was crossing the ball and he couldn't take his eyes off the ball to look where to cross.
I would've thought that after the first couple of crosses some of the portuguese players would've realised they need to have someone on the far post although I'm not sure why no one was ever there in the first place anyways :confused:

I was much more dissapointed with the strikers positioning and organization rather than with Ronaldo's crossing,is it just me?
I'm not a big fan of C.Ronaldo but after seeing all the replies in this thread bashing him I've decided to post."

It is an atomatism he's learned at United to cross to the second post and if he doesn't have the time to look, that's what he'll do. Even portuguese on their forum admitted there should have been players at the second post and if you check a replay u can see how Pauletta was scolding other players at one point for not being there.

Also, who is your favorite winger? Joaquin? Vicente? Put Joaquin on the left, put Vicente on the right, turn back time for them to 4 years back when they were 19, imagine a european championship held in Spain and they come on to make their debut. Now watch the beautiful crosses fly from their weak leg, I'm sure that's realistic to expect.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Kevin ] ++

That's funny, as my second favorite team is Man United, I have seen all his games and he's been their best player since the last quarter plus of the season winning 8 consecutive MOTM awards or something and deserved his praise. He has also been voted as their best player this season. Even the scousers are starting to admit how good he is (just another one today who's always bitter came over to say "credit where credit's due, he's an amazing talent and if he continues this you'll have a gem on ur hands").
Also, this is on another forum that explains how a winger is not always able to look before he passes:

"I'm surprised that so many people are criticising C.Ronaldo for his "poor crossing".Although his crossing wasn't the greatest,he did have some good crosses and most of them went to the far post.He always had at least a couple of defenders around him when he was crossing the ball and he couldn't take his eyes off the ball to look where to cross.
I would've thought that after the first couple of crosses some of the portuguese players would've realised they need to have someone on the far post although I'm not sure why no one was ever there in the first place anyways :confused:

I was much more dissapointed with the strikers positioning and organization rather than with Ronaldo's crossing,is it just me?
I'm not a big fan of C.Ronaldo but after seeing all the replies in this thread bashing him I've decided to post."

It is an atomatism he's learned at United to cross to the second post and if he doesn't have the time to look, that's what he'll do. Even portuguese on their forum admitted there should have been players at the second post and if you check a replay u can see how Pauletta was scolding other players at one point for not being there.

Also, who is your favorite winger? Joaquin? Vicente? Put Joaquin on the left, put Vicente on the right, turn back time for them to 4 years back when they were 19, imagine a european championship held in Spain and they come on to make their debut. Now watch the beautiful crosses fly from their weak leg, I'm sure that's realistic to expect.
Yes he is a good talent. I agree with that.

But what your saying about always crossing to the far post is total crap. There isnt a routine to do every time you go down the wing. It requires thinking on the players part and this is what ronaldo lacks. Does Beckham cross to the far post everytime?

A simple chip on a few occasions would have set up goals. And he hasnt time to look up? Please. Whats he looking at, his feet, wondering when to do another stepover?

blaming the forwards? If there isnt a forward their dont waste posession by kicking the ball to nowhere. Try some of your stupid tricks then and make another oppertunity.

Again im not talking about that match hardly at all. Ive watched most ManU games this season. And although he is skillful im just sick and tired of watching him stepover and try fancy things when they are not needed AT ALL. He once did 2 consecutive stepovers with no players near him. He holds the ball way to long before making up his mind what to do with it and the chance is usually missed.

True he is improving, and its not like i dont rate him or hate him. I think hes a fantastic potential. But he has alot to learn and lacks alot in important areas. And for the money that was paid for him, i expect a player who dosent have to be 'taught' were to cross a ball.

And yeah the fans and other players will love him because he is entertaining to watch. And Man Utd fans are desperate to think they have replaced Beckham. Not by along shot. I dont care what they think, this is what i think and i bet he'll go and have the best tournament and ill look way of the mark. But this season he has annoyed me much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)