The games are afoot: general Euro 2004 discussion thread (75 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Apr 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
Yes i do miss him. But i like Beckham the player
Enough to be bitter and release frustrations on certain 'scapegoats' then ;)
Which leads us back to the narrowminded or not issue... YOU? never. :D

River

Jun 15, 2004
No. Its seperate issues. Ive always hated beckhams non-football side.
And what your trying to get at is so far off you might aswell let it go. And im off, its late.

Kevin

Apr 16, 2004
No. Its seperate issues. Ive always hated beckhams non-football side.
And what your trying to get at is so far off you might aswell let it go. And im off, its late.
Alright :angel:

Alex

May 1, 2004
Portugal are on the way up (2-0 against Russia).
Can you feel it. T
hings are starting to jel for Scolari's men.
Cup winners never sartart off with perfect form.
It would be a great mistake to write Portugal off as many of you have.
Yes Spain will be very tough but i feel they have what it takes.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
portugal on the way out.. they need to beat Spain to go through in a winner takes all match... a draw then they will go out as they have lost in their head to head clash with greece... a win will might as well meat Spain will go our

gray

Apr 22, 2003
But what your saying about always crossing to the far post is total crap. There isnt a routine to do every time you go down the wing. It requires thinking on the players part and this is what ronaldo lacks. Does Beckham cross to the far post everytime?

A simple chip on a few occasions would have set up goals. And he hasnt time to look up? Please. Whats he looking at, his feet, wondering when to do another stepover?
I agree with you on this one. There's no such thing as a default solution to problems in football, and saying "Good players cross to the far post" is silly. You don't hear free kick takers saying "Good freekicks go into the top right corner", because some situations would dictate that the left side of goal is a better option, and the player must adapt his strategy to suit the situations.

Similarly, a winger should always look up before he crosses to get an idea of where his players are positioned. It's stupid to say "Okay team, listen up. Ronaldo's only 19, so he can't use his other foot yet for anything except for standing on, and he can only cross to the far post, so everyone stand there from now on".

I'm sure their play would become predictable very easily. I mean the only reason the crosses reached the far post and you can say "There should have been a forward there" is because nobody was marking that area, since there were no players to mark. Of course if a player arrived to head the ball at the far post every single time, the defenders would have easily learned their lesson and defended the far post every time.

Kevin

Apr 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I agree with you on this one. There's no such thing as a default solution to problems in football, and saying "Good players cross to the far post" is silly. You don't hear free kick takers saying "Good freekicks go into the top right corner", because some situations would dictate that the left side of goal is a better option, and the player must adapt his strategy to suit the situations.

Similarly, a winger should always look up before he crosses to get an idea of where his players are positioned. It's stupid to say "Okay team, listen up. Ronaldo's only 19, so he can't use his other foot yet for anything except for standing on, and he can only cross to the far post, so everyone stand there from now on".

I'm sure their play would become predictable very easily. I mean the only reason the crosses reached the far post and you can say "There should have been a forward there" is because nobody was marking that area, since there were no players to mark. Of course if a player arrived to head the ball at the far post every single time, the defenders would have easily learned their lesson and defended the far post every time.
I didn't say good players cross to the far post and Ronaldo's left foot is probably better than the average footballer's weaker leg. I also didn't say he CAN only cross to the far post, I implied that he caught a particular habit at United (which they wanted him to do) and that he needed time adapt to a new situation because obviously, the Portuguese midfielders don't go to the far post as with United. I admitted that he was dumb to continue doing that for so long though, but he adapted in yesterday's match.
Sure there would be a player to mark players if they were on the far post too, but if only Pauleta is standing at the near post with 2-3 players swarming around him, it's not gonna do much crossing to him. More players in the box -> more ppl to mark. It's not for nothing Pauleta was frustrated about noone standing on the far post (which u can see from the match when he turned around for the umpteenth time and saw noone at the far post he threw a fit at anyone but Ronaldo... must be for a reason. It was also mentioned on the Portuguese forum that he's said things about it after the match).

River

Jun 15, 2004
No we wont. Everyone realises this wasnt a good performance and the scoreline was much more than we deserved. The Swis guy shouldnt have been sent off and Rooneys second was lucky.

But why wouldnt we feel more confident now.

Quit generalising.

Sep 14, 2003
No we wont. Everyone realises this wasnt a good performance and the scoreline was much more than we deserved. The Swis guy shouldnt have been sent off and Rooneys second was lucky.

But why wouldnt we feel more confident now.

Quit generalising.
I live in England chum and I know what the tabloids and fans think.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Yeah er so do i. But im not silly enough to consider tabloid views as general public opinion.

Im also not negative to the team as you obviously are.

No one ive talked to has been that happy with the performance, more just how rooney performed. And we are realistic about our chances.

So yeah, quit generalising.

Sep 14, 2003
Yeah er so do i. But im not silly enough to consider tabloid views as general public opinion.

Im also not negative to the team as you obviously are.

No one ive talked to has been that happy with the performance, more just how rooney performed. And we are realistic about our chances.

So yeah, quit generalising.
I'm not negative about England, I just don't like them.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 75)