The games are afoot: general Euro 2004 discussion thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,043
    1. Buffon
    2. Casillas
    3. Cech
    4. Kahn
    5. Ovchnykov (that Russian dude)

Anyways, maybe I left someone out, it's 2 am and I'm tired :sleepy:

Anyways, on his good day he can be excellent, but IMO he's not that reliable, tends to make the occasional blunder or two. remember when he gifted the ball the Henry in the EPL?

But yes, I agree that he is a very good keeper, above average even.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Above average even? My, you're in a giving mood aren't you? :D

That list of yours holds reflex keepers, which Van der Sar is not. Van der Sar is a keeper who organises the defence and is more a part of the team than the keepers you listed. I admit he's not as good at catching shots (though at Euro2004, he's been outstanding) as the keepers you named above but at other qualities, he's beyond them lot.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,046
    Well, yes, I'm a keeper myself (altho I dont play anymore), and I have to admit I put more preferance on reflexes and shot stopping than organising the defence and being part of the team. A good defender can organize the D, but he cant save shots.

Anyways, what I've always liked about VDS, and what I've tried to immitate, is his ability to save with his feet, he uses them more than most keepers, and keepers often concede goals just because they didnt have enough time to get their doby and hands down when they could have used their feet instead. Thats what I like about him.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,048
    Yeah, I stopped playing 2 years ago. I got injured playing basketball, couldnt train for 6 months and never went back.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,051
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Sorry to hear that :frown:
    Ah, it's ok. I fvcked up my ankle, strained my ligaments. Luckily tho no permanent damage.

Anyways, it's not like I was going to go pro or anything, I was too erratic and inconsistent, absolutely fvcking brilliant one match, and utter shite the next :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Juvenator ] ++
    Get ur head out of the sand and take off your rose tinted specs, and accept that all i have said is true.
    My, both parts of this post sound strikingly like Incubo :eek:
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    Anyways, what I've always liked about VDS, and what I've tried to immitate, is his ability to save with his feet, he uses them more than most keepers, and keepers often concede goals just because they didnt have enough time to get their doby and hands down when they could have used their feet instead. Thats what I like about him.
    Actually I've noticed the opposite in a way. Even though VDS uses his feet to make more saves than other keepers, that also results in him being the most nutmegged keeper I've ever watched :D

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,056
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Hear it calling you Zlatan; curling, cuuuurliiiiiiiiiiiiiing...

:D
    I quite like curling actually, I watched the WC on TV, it's quite interesting :D

++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

My, both parts of this post sound strikingly like Incubo :eek:

Actually I've noticed the opposite in a way. Even though VDS uses his feet to make more saves than other keepers, that also results in him being the most nutmegged keeper I've ever watched :D
    I dont know what "nutmegged" means. Dictionary.com doesnt know what it means. Is it even a word Graham, or did you just make it up? :p

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Zlatan, shame on you for not seeing the word nutmeg countless times in Championship Manager :D It means having the ball put between your legs, one of the most humiliating things in the game

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Zlatan, shame on you for not seeing the word nutmeg countless times in Championship Manager. It means having the ball put between your legs, one of the most humiliating things in the game
    Really? Its called nutmeg in English? What an odd word.

In Dutch we call it "poorten" which means "to gate". Popular expression if someone suffers a nutmeg is "Hij werd gepoort" which means "He got gate".

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)