The Derby (Juventus VS Torino) (2 Viewers)

nina

Feb 18, 2001
The Turin derby was certainly eventful with two goals, four red cards, injuries to David Trezeguet and Pavel Nedved and a Toro player missing the unmissable.

The Turin derby is always a tricky occasion for the Bianconeri, especially when the players risk a distraction from the upcoming Champions' League quarter-final with Barcelona.

David Trezeguet was expected to be rested, but played from the start alongside Alessandro Del Piero. The Azzurri star was making his first Serie A start since suffering a thigh strain on Feb 2.

It took just five minutes for Juve to take the lead and much of the credit must go to Pavel Nedved. The Czech battled past two defenders and put a taut cross into the centre for a Trezeguet close-range tap-in. However, the last touch appeared to be from Toro midfielder Gianluca Comotto.

Trezeguet should have netted a second soon after on another Nedved centre, but drilled wide from a good position.

There was bad news for the Bianconeri when Nedved was hacked down in midfield and suffered a bruised right knee. The Czech hero could not continue and was replaced by Gianluca Pessotto, forcing a change of tactics as Gianluca Zambrotta and Mauro Camoranesi switched sides.

Torino gained in confidence and after a Massimo Donati effort whistled wide, a deflected Carlos Marinelli free kick gave Gianluigi Buffon a scare.

The former Middlesbrough man was very lively and on 26 minutes got past Mark Iuliano for an interesting cut-back, but Marco Ferrante ballooned over the bar from six yards. Hitman Cristiano Lucarelli was thrown on to bolster their strike force.

There was yet more bad news for Juventus on the half-hour mark when Trezeguet fell heavily on his left shoulder as he completed a diving header. The Frenchman has suffered from several injury problems this season and looked to be in great pain. The substitution was called and Marcelo Zalayeta introduced.

Initial medical reports suggest Trezeguet has torn a muscle in his shoulder and could be out for a couple of weeks.

Both sides looked likely to score as an Edgar Davids piledriver skimmed the crossbar, while Buffon rushed out to block a Ferrante counter-attack.

Tension was high and a scuffle broke out just before the break following another hard tackle from a Toro player. The two most incensed players - Igor Tudor and Cristiano Lucarelli - were sent off for exchanging blows.

Marinelli remained Torino's most dangerous player and moments later waltzed through the defence only to drill inches wide of the near post.

Then Del Piero's solo effort failed to hit the target and Alessio Tacchinardi blasted over.

The first attempt of the second half was from Toro as Marco Ferrante's splendid volley tested Buffon's reflexes.

The atmosphere remained tense and Luca Mezzano became the third man to be sent off. His lunge at Del Piero was a second bookable offence and left Torino in nine men.

There was further controversy on the hour mark when Ferrante insisted he was pushed in the box by Ciro Ferrara. There certainly was contact as the striker lined up the shot, but the referee judged it to be two players crossing paths rather than an intentional foul.

But it was Juventus who went close to doubling their lead when Ferrara nodded a Camoranesi free kick onto the crossbar.

Matters went from bad to worse for the Granata when Marinelli, who had already been booked, was sent off for dissent. The former Premiership star pushed the referee in the back as a form of protest and left Torino with just eight men on the field.

Despite it all, Torino still looked likely to grab an equaliser with some interesting moves and consistent effort.

In fact, five minutes from time Stefano Fattori sprung the offside trap when a deflected Simone Vergassola drive fell into his path, but the midfielder hesitated too long to aim at the open goal and allowed Ferrara to clear. It was a chance that seemed impossible to miss and Fattori was clearly distraught.

His feelings were further damaged when just 30 seconds later Tacchinardi rose to nod in a Camoranesi free kick and seal the scoreline in Juve's favour.

Juventus: Buffon; Iuliano, Tudor, Ferrara; Camoranesi, Tacchinardi, Davids, Zambrotta; Nedved (Pessotto 20); Del Piero (Conte 73), Trezeguet (Zalayeta 33)

Torino: Bucci; Galante (Sommese 69), Fattori, Mezzano; Comotto (Lucarelli 31), De Ascentis, Vergassola, Donati (Conticchio 65), Castellini; Ferrante, Marinelli

Ref: De Santis

Sent off: Tudor 42 (J), Lucarelli 42 (T), Mezzano 56 (T), Marinelli 67 (T)

Football Italia

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Well done Juve. :thumb: I'm not too bothered about the performance (I dunno what it was like), the important thing was obtaining the three points and we did exactly that.

Hopefully Trez and Neddy recover as fast as possible ... :scared::nervous:

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
nina, I saw the match and don't recall the ref cancelling a Toro goal :confused:

Anyway, Treze has torn a muscle in his shoulder and could be out for a couple of weeks.

Nedved got a his knee bruised and tests will be taken to know more about the injury .. but I hope its just a bruise and nothing serious to the knee ..

I don't think that Lippi should've taken Del Piero at the middle of the second half .. with all the spaces available I think he could've scored with one of his runs ...

De Santis missed a penalty for both sides .. Colochini handling the ball inside the box before Ferrara pushed Ferrante, also inside the box ..

We needed the 3 points and that's what we got .. the scene of Juve fans with those 'B' banners was way to cool :cool: .. not to mention how furious Ferrante was as he was leaving :D

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
From gazzetta.it

Nedved has a bad contusion on his knee, went to hospital, I guess for further tests.

Not much info on Trezeguet in the gazzetta article, but it is mentioned as a shoulder injury.

Nice point at the end of the article about Tacchinardi: Chiude i conti e manda un altro messaggio chiaro a Trapattoni.

Basically, "he sends another message to Trapattoni."

nina

Feb 18, 2001
++ [ originally posted by littleD ] ++

Nice point at the end of the article about Tacchinardi: Chiude i conti e manda un altro messaggio chiaro a Trapattoni.
I read that too, but unfortunatelly Trap doesn't give a damn what the public and media says. He will pick the one he wishes! :rolleyes:

juventus.com says they'll have some more information on the Trez and Neddy cases in a few hours, so keep checking the site. But try the italian version and then I don't know translate it with the fish thing if you don't understand. The english version sucks!

datasport.com says Trez will be out for 3 weeks.

juvelover

Jul 13, 2002
no goals were dissallowed for torino but Fttori :fool: missed big chance hw was alone with buffon for about 3-4 seconds and did not score hahahahahahah how fool .

we were shaking even in the times we wre 10 and torino 8 we need some back ups our team without nedved sucks .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)