The Copy-Cats in Music (1 Viewer)

OP
rounder
Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #22
    I don't know what academia has anything to do with musical performance. In academia people are supposed to produce research, in music they perform music. You do realize that lots of artists don't write their own music, don't you? They have professional song writers who know what kind of tune will succeed in the current musical market. So are they "getting away with it" too?
    That's not a very good analogy. The difference is that the artists who 'perform' pieces of music are paying the song writer. Everyone is getting credit. The artists(performer) and the writers or composers. However, when a new artist steals a piece of music without giving credit to that person; then it can be considered intellectual theft. It is very similar to the academic world. When you research to write a piece of paper and you want to 'borrow' an idea from some author; then you will need to give him credit.

Why shouldn't it be the same in the musical world?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    That's not a very good analogy. The difference is that the artists who 'perform' pieces of music are paying the song writer. Everyone is getting credit. The artists(performer) and the writers or composers. However, when a new artist steals a piece of music without giving credit to that person; then it can be considered intellectual theft. It is very similar to the academic world. When you research to write a piece of paper and you want to 'borrow' an idea from some author; then you will need to give him credit.

Why shouldn't it be the same in the musical world?
    Is your beef with the "credit" or the money?

Because I very much doubt you know who has paid whom to use an earlier song, either before performing it or after it's become a hit, in some sort of secret settlement where the new guy forks over quietly without causing bad pr.

As for the credit part, I don't remember hearing on the radio "and now Britney Spears with Some Title, written by Composer". No, they just mention the performer.

Why shouldn't it be the same as in academia? You want songs to have a bibliography? I have no objections, I just think it's a really weird suggestion to make.

OP
    rounder
    Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #27
    Is your beef with the "credit" or the money?

Because I very much doubt you know who has paid whom to use an earlier song, either before performing it or after it's become a hit, in some sort of secret settlement where the new guy forks over quietly without causing bad pr.

As for the credit part, I don't remember hearing on the radio "and now Britney Spears with Some Title, written by Composer". No, they just mention the performer.
    Well, you probably won't hear it on the radio, but you'll see it pretty much everywhere else. I remember that after watching 8 mile; I was paying attention to the credits and after every song; they mentioned the artist, writer, and composer.

I'm not talking about the money here. This is an over simplified example, but let's say I just started listening to music and heard Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" and I just loved the melody of that song without really liking the lyrics. So I go out and buy Vanilla Ice's Cd's hoping to listen to more of the same. David Bowie doesn't get the credit, but some prick like Vanilla Ice does.

("Ice Ice Baby" is a hip hop song written by American rapper Vanilla Ice and DJ Earthquake. The song samples the bassline of "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie, who did not initially receive songwriting credit or royalties until after it had become a hit.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Ice_Baby

Is it really a problem? No. In the end; the credit will be given. But keep in mind that this is the song that made Vanilla Ice famous and it could very well be because of Bowie's bass line instead of Ice's brilliance. Could it be considered intellectual theft; I personally think it could.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)