The Champions World Series (1 Viewer)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Sheva cuts down Chelsea
Tuesday 3 August, 2004

Milan’s successful American tour concluded with a 3-2 victory over Chelsea sealed by Andriy Shevchenko.

Last week the Rossoneri, who are further behind in their fitness preparations than the Premiership sides, also got the better of Manchester United after a penalty shoot-out and were again victorious in the final Champions World Series clash in Philadelphia.

Chelsea had been 2-1 up at the break thanks to Eidur Gudjohnsen and Didier Drogba, although Marcos Cafu had temporarily drawn level after 26 minutes with a fine volley, spotting Carlo Cudicini stranded off his line.

The turnaround arrived in the second half, as veteran defender Billy Costacurta met Kaka’s corner kick to equalise before a late free kick from Shevchenko sealed the victory with two minutes to spare.

Chelsea patron Roman Abramovich has made no secret of his desire to snap up the Ukrainian and was again full of praise for the striker. “Shevchenko is a phenomenon,” he told newspaper Corriere dello Sport-Stadio, “a champion, a great athlete and a wonderful man.”

Abramovich paused to salute the Rossoneri before jetting off back to London this morning. “I wanted to shake Carlo Ancelotti’s hand because I admire him and the way his Milan side plays.”

There were also a few words exchanged with Hernan Crespo, who left the Stamford Bridge outfit last month to join Milan on loan. “I can only thank Abramovich and Chelsea,” explained the Argentine, “but I am happy at Milan now.”

Milan 3-2 Chelsea

Scorers: Gudjohnsen 19 (C), Cafu 26 (M), Drogba 38 (C), Costacurta 76 (M), Shevchenko 88 (M)

Jul 19, 2003
42' Roma 1-1 Liverpool

Delvechio slotted home from close range after an accurate cross by Candela. Cisse replies after a through pass finds Riise that beats the offside trap, leaving the Roma defence waving to the linesman, meanwhile he passes calmly to a wide open Cisse who equalizes with no trouble at all.

Jul 19, 2003
Hamann intercepts a pass by a Roma defender.....the ball gets deflected and bounces to Owen.........first and maybe only touch of the match is a blast in the back of the net.

Roma 1-2 Liverpool

That's all folks..........see u next season. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)