The Champions World Series (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
The Champions World Series is a friendly tourney being held in the US. Juve, Man Utd, Barcelona, AC Milan, Celtic, Boca Juniors and Club America are the six clubs involved and the first match of the series was Man U vs Celtic. The English champions won 4-0 with goals from Ruud van Nistelrooy, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, David Bellion and Ryan Giggs. The second game of the friendly get-together is playing right now; Celtic vs Boca Juniors. At the moment the score is 0-0 and it has been a very boring match with few chances, though really and truly Boca should have scored already.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    Finally, a goal. Celtic are leading 1-0 thanks to a well taken goal by Chris Sutton :) Also, Tevez was on the bench, he's just been brought on :thumb:

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    A rasping curling shot from Tevez following some great control from the young Argentinian prodigy is saved by the Celtic 'keeper.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Boca lost!!!

And Bianchi used teves just for the last minutes!!!

I know i know, its a friendly.

but when boca plays i just follow it to see tevez playing!, he could have socered since the begginging opf da game! :fero:

Jul 19, 2003
    He's that good?? :eek: I hope to watch him play a whole game......hope he doesn't get injured though...as I heard the commentators saying Bayern Munich is willing to pay whatever it takes to get him.

I think it was a pretty crappy game except for a few nice plays by Celtic. Did you see that outside-of-the-foot shot by Larsson?? :thumb: Impossible angle.....wow!!

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    Sutton strike downs Boca

Chris Sutton grabbed the only goal as Celtic wrapped up their pre-season tour with a 1-0 win over Boca Juniors in Cleveland.
    The English striker settled a scrappy game of few chances when he pierced the tough-tackling Argentine side's rearguard after 59 minutes.

After a 4-0 thrashing by Manchester United in Seattle earlier in the week, the win gives Celtic a lift ahead of next week's Champions League qualifier against Kaunas in Lithuania.

Sutton's strike, after a sweet one-two with Shaun Maloney, was one of the few highlights in a game which saw nine yellow cards and a red for Boca's Jonathan Fabbro.

The first half was a stop-start affair with Celtic's Alan Thompson and Stephen Crainey both cautioned along with Sebastian Battaglia and Fabbro of the Copa Libertadores winners.

Thompson had the best of the chances before the break when he fired over and Henrik Larsson also forced a good save from Roberto Abbondanzieri.

Young keeper David Marshall started for the Hoops but he was one of five players to make way at the interval as Magnus Hedman came off the bench.

The Swede, after a couple of decent saves, was in turn later replaced by Rob Douglas.

Amid the constant awarding of free-kicks and a further Celtic booking for Momo Sylla, the Hoops took the lead when Sutton fired low into the corner.

The game, played out in front of a crowd of 20,842, ended on a sour note when Fabbro saw red for a second bookable offence, a foul on Stan Varga.

Craig Beattie could have added a second for Celtic late on but Abbondanzieri saved after a smart run.

US TOUR FIXTURES
    Man Utd 4-0 Celtic
    23 July
    Celtic 1-0 Boca Juniors
    26 July 0100 BST
    Juventus v Barcelona
    27 July 2100 BST
    Man Utd v Club America
    28 July 0000 BST
    Barcelona v AC Milan
    31 July 0100 BST
    Man Utd v Juventus
    1 August 0100 BST
    Man Utd v Barcelona
    4 August 0100 BST

BloodOnMoral

Jun 4, 2003
    so i see we will have the occasion to pay manchester an old dew :fero: ... about barcelona, i'm really curious what we will do, but i think we are able to beat them ... it depends of the players used. will lippi use the first team or just the subs ?will eurosport broadcast those matches ?

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    I am not an expert on Argentine league but on occasions that I have watched, Tevez is a real deal, and I rate him higher than Cave, D'ale. even if they are all different type of players.

Tevez is pretty good technical but hasn't god mad skills that D'ale has. On the other hand, he doesn't over do it. He is pretty quick, and most importantly he has great eye for goal.

He and Delgado are, IMO, terrific combo and better than most of attacking combination in Europe. That, as well as good defending and Bratagllia (I can't get his spelling right) are the resons why they won the Coppa Libertadores, IMO.:).

Nevertheless, he can refine his skills little bit more, and I would like to see him gain couple of kilo of weight and muscle. He is too skinny for Europe at this moment, a la Robinho.:eek::D

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    The Celtic-Boca game was very boring IMO. It was clear that the players weren't 100% fit and a lot of simple passes went astray. Thompson, Sylla and Larsson were Celtic's most influential players and no-one really shone for Boca except for Tevez who came on in the second half and brightened things up a bit. Sutton's goal was very well taken and the Boca 'keeper showed some skills in denying Larsson's stunning first half shot. Boca's best chance of the game came in the first half from a set piece but the Libertadores Champs were unable to convert.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
    Fantasista, any info, on who we are playing first?:)
    We're playing Barca on Sunday :)

miyazawa

Jul 28, 2003
    I like both Barca and Juventus. And the result is also very good that Barca still has a powerful attacking form and Juventus never gives up till the end of the match!
    It seems that Legrottaglie still has a lot to learn.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    Results from Sunday 27th:

Juventus 2-2 Barcelona
    Man Utd 3-1 Club America

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    Barca vs Milan is playing right now. Barca opened the scoring on 11 minutes thanks to new signing Ricardo Quaresma and they've just doubled their lead thanks to a deflected goal by Brazilian World Cup star Ronaldinho.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #19
    Quaresma, Ronaldinho and Saviola have combined brilliantly and they've been really fun to watch.

Barca substitutions:

Ronaldinho out, Luis Enrique in
    Saviola out, Dani in

PS. Ancelotti made ten substitutions at half time and the only starter that remained on the pitch for the second half was Shevchenko. Cafu and Pancaro are making their Milan debuts.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #20
    59: Luis Enrique releases Quaresma who plays the ball back for Gerard. The midfielder gets away from his marker and shoots, but Abbiati makes a comfortable save.

60: Shevchenko takes on Puyol and the Spaniard comes out on top. Corner to Milan, cleared by Barcelona.

Substitution for Barca: Reiziger out, Andersson in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)