the big match: Italy - Wales (1 Viewer)

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
I know the Germany-Italy friendly was just yesterday, but this match is 100x more important, and it's coming sooner than we think.

September 6, 2003
Giuseppe Meazza, Milan
European Championships Qualifying
Group 9
Italy vs. Wales

This is the situation in group 9 at the moment.

Wales, 5 matches played, 12 points
Italy, 5 matches played, 10 points
S & M, 6 matches played, 8 points

As you can see, it's pretty much all between Italy and Wales, but Serbia is still lurking. Wales could have clinched at least a playoff spot if they had beaten Serbia & Montenegro yesterday, but lost in Belgrade 1-0. That was their first loss in qualifying. Italy, on the other hand, had a fairly bad start to qualifying(for them), getting only 4 points in their first three games, including the game no Welsh football fan will forget. October 16, 2002. Millenium Stadium in Cardiff.

Wales 2-1 Italy

Italy is much improved since then, looking fairly impressive when all their players are healthy. But they can't afford to take Wales lightly. If they do that, they can kiss goodbye to Euro 2004.

Wales have already named their squad for this match. Returning to the squad after a back injury that made him miss yesterday's match is Celtic forward John Hartson. Also returning to the squad is Andy Melville of Fulham.

Keepers: Danny Coyne(Leicester), Mark Crossley(Fulham), Paul Jones(Southampton), Darren Ward(Nottm Forest)

Defenders: Darren Barnard(Grimsby), Mark Delaney(Aston Villa), Daniel Gabbidon(Cardiff), Andy Melville(Fulham), Robert Page(Sheff Utd), Kit Symons(Crystal Palace)

Midfielders: Paul Trollope(Northampton), Rhys Weston(Cardiff), Simon Davies(Tottenham), Ryan Giggs(Man Utd), Andy Johnson(West Brom), Jason Koumas(West Brom), John Morgan Oster(Sunderland), Mark Pembridge(Everton), Carl Robinson(Portsmouth), Robbie Savage(Birmingham), Gary Speed(Newcastle), Andrew Williams(Reading)

Forwards: Craig Bellamy(Newcastle), Nathan Blake(Wolves), Robert Earnshaw(Cardiff), John Hartson(Celtic), Neil Roberts(Wigan)

No idea why they have 4 keepers, but whatever. They still have some outstanding players. Robert Earnshaw scored about 40 goals in all competitions last season. Ryan Giggs we all know. Jason Koumas is a quality midfielder. Don't know much about their defence.

I hope it's a good match, with none of the racist chanting Wales allegedly encountered in yesterday's match. And of course, I hope Italy wins. It's a vital 3 points.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
As long as our core players are fit I'm confident that we'll win. We still have one of the best defences in the world avec the best keeper, a quality midfield and a mouthwatering attacking quartet, so there isn't anything to stop us from doing well now and in the future.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DarkSoul ] ++
Yeah, thanks to Stankovic (MOM) who will be suspended for the next match against us ;)
Dejan is absolutely brilliant. He goes and slaughters the Welsh and then gets suspended so that he won't do the same to us. Great man, he is ;)

So this is how it is; if we win against Wales we take the lead in Group 9 and Serbia&Montenegro would need to beat us and then beat Azerbaijan without us taking a point from our encounter with Azerbaijan to go through. It's pretty simple really, we beat Wales, S&M and Azerbaijan and we're through.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
MICCOLI MOVES ON CAMO'S TURF?

Fabrizio Miccoli is being groomed to replace Mauro Camoranesi in both the Juventus and Azzurri set-up.

The ex-Perugia man was fielded on the right side of midfield for Juve’s 3-1 friendly win at Napoli this week.

He proved a great success in this new role, setting up Pavel Nedved’s opener before bagging a brace.

Miccoli’s explosive pace and ability to shoot from long range have made him a prime candidate to take over a deeper position within the squad.

Above all, this midfield role would allow Miccoli to share the field with Alessandro Del Piero – both at club and international level.

The Lecce-born starlet was originally brought in as an understudy to the Juventus captain, but his stunning form makes it difficult to leave him out.

The new 4-2-3-1 formation used by both Marcello Lippi and Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni would suit Miccoli’s characteristics if he were used out wide rather than as a second striker.

The tactic proved successful with the midweek 1-0 friendly win against Germany, thanks to a goal scored by Christian Vieri.

Football Italia

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
if crappatoni picks the right team italy will have a really great chance of winning this tournament, Wales should be no problem.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
As long as Trapattoni continues to play Del Piero and Totti together we won't have any problems because he simple can't leave out Buffon, Cannavaro or Nesta and it doesn't really matter which defensive midfielders he chooses because Tacchinardi, Zanetti, Gattuso and Perrotta are all good and the same goes for the right wing position because Trap has Camoranesi, Fiore, Miccoli and Zambrotta (if absolutely necessary) at his disposal.

Forza Italia :strong:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Guys, look at how complete the Italy squad is:

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Toldo, Cudicini
Right backs: Panucci, Oddo, Birindelli
Left backs: Zambrotta, Coco, Grosso
Centre backs: Cannavaro, Nesta, Legrottaglie, Ferrari
Central defensive midfielders: Tacchinardi, Perrotta, Zanetti, Gattuso
Right wingers: Camoranesi, Fiore, Miccoli
Left wingers: Del Piero, Di Vaio, Delvecchio
Central attacking midfielders: Totti, Maresca, Pirlo
Out-and-out strikers: Vieri, Corradi, Inzaghi

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
his tactics are the real problem. not the players he picks. :(
Yeah, I agree. The 4-2-3-1 is a really good formation and it's working really good for Italy, but unfortunately as soon as we get in front Trap tells the lads to stop attacking and play catenaccio style :down:

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
you should exclude Cudicini from there, cause i don't think he will ever be called.

as i told you before the problem isn't The squad depth of the Azzurri but more The utilization of these players and the tactics used.

Great players + Bad Tactics = Nothing.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++

Yeah, I agree. The 4-2-3-1 is a really good formation and it's working really good for Italy, but unfortunately as soon as we get in front Trap tells the lads to stop attacking and play catenaccio style :down:
That will be the main reason the Azzurri won't be winning any championship :(

God, I wish Fabio Capello to take Over, and start a new Era of endless victories.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)