the big match: Italy - Wales (2 Viewers)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
What a match! Finally a super match 4 Italy... it really looks an other team compared with Cardiff...
If I think that Trapattoni didn't call up Inzaghi or left him on the bench 4 misterious (but probably personal reasons) so many times I feel like killing him! But I think that after today nobody will allow him anymore to leave him out of the starting eleven...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
del piero has now scored 1 goal in every game he played in the qualifications. that gives a total of 5 goals in 5 games. he didnt play one game because of injury. :D :D FORZA DEL PEIRO!

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Trap hits back: I told you so!

--------------------------------------------

Giovanni Trapattoni is celebrating the Azzurri’s seventh win on the trot and took the opportunity to hit back at his critics.

“This was a memorable game and we had plenty of chances,” he said after the 4-0 win over Wales, “but I was sure that this team could do well.”

“On all levels we were on fine form and deserved this victory. Throughout the 90 minutes Italy were in charge on a physical, psychological and tactical plane.”

The press had criticised Trap’s decision to go back to a 4-4-2 system following Francesco Totti’s injury.

“I don’t take gambles,” he insisted, “I consider the options carefully. Today we needed a win above all else.”

The hero of the San Siro night was Pippo Inzaghi with a stunning second-half hat-trick.

“I can’t believe some newspapers suggested Inzaghi was not a goalscorer or able to play alongside certain teammates,” continued Trapattoni.

Another controversial switch saw Alessandro Del Piero pushed out wide to the left, although he tended to drift inwards.

“Del Piero has not just adapted to the new role, he ruled it. He provided assists, support for the two strikers and dictated the tempo in midfield.” :extatic::thumb:

The press has also concentrated on the newfound camaraderie among the teammates and the fact none of the players asked for a substitution even when the game was won.

“Not only that,” revealed Trap, “but even the injured players wanted to stay on. Their desire is incredible and I had trouble picking the team”

For the first time Italy are now top of Group Nine and travel to Serbia & Montenegro for Wednesday’s qualifier.

“We must celebrate this result now, but after the post-match shower we’ll be thinking only of Serbia.”

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
:D

everyoone was great EXCEPT Panucci ! he was terrible !

i wish Birindelli or Oddo start instead of him.

Panucci cannot play ! waste of space

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by IceBlu ] ++
:D

everyoone was great EXCEPT Panucci ! he was terrible !

i wish Birindelli or Oddo start instead of him.

Panucci cannot play ! waste of space
I totaly Agree, Panucci shouldn't be called for the Azzurri anymore, he sucks big time. :groan:

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Yes Panucci was awful, and infact Oddo IMO changed the match.
But the rest they all played good... I can't imagine the ratings 4 Inzaghi tomorrow... I guess all 10 he really rocked!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
As I said, you gotta love Pippo :cool::cool::cool:

I come from the pitch in my Azzurri shirt and this is the news I get, pretty damn cool :extatic:

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Inzaghi thanks Christian spirit

------------------------------------------------------
Hat-trick hero Pippo Inzaghi aims to hang on to his Azzurri shirt and the partnership with good friend Christian Vieri.

“It’s something that gives me great satisfaction and unfortunately I couldn’t play alongside Christian at the World Cup due to my injury.”

The Milan striker has been on the outskirts of the Italy set-up for several months now and rarely got to partner his best friend on the field.

“Not only did I score my first Azzurri hat-trick,” he continued, “but me and Vieri also combined well throughout the game. It’s been an unforgettable evening.”

“We share a room during training camps and whenever we know we’re going to play in the same line-up you create an even greater rapport.”

The hug between the two men – who combined for the opening goal at the San Siro – was an emotional moment for both of them.

“We have no envy and no jealousy between us, so we work hard for each other and try to help out.”

The deadlock was broken on the hour mark, but before then Italy had thumped the woodwork four times.

“It really did seem to be a cursed goalmouth, but I was always hopeful the game would end the way it did.”

The 4-0 win over Wales has certainly given Giovanni Trapattoni problems in picking from his many forwards.

“We all understand that there are many great strikers available to the Italy side and everyone is aware that you have to sit some games out.”

“Someone this week wrote that I had demanded a starting place,” noted Inzaghi, “but it is simply rubbish as I have been an international for ten years and was never assured of a first team jersey.”

It was a stunning return to the Azzurri shirt for a man who was dropped for the recent friendly win in Germany.

“We need to find a balance in the way we look at Trap’s choices. I think it is right that in a friendly the Coach should try out new faces. I did not feel left out at all.”

Inzaghi also denied he had been going through a rough patch with both Milan and the Italy side.

“You can’t score in every game! I’d get sixty goals a season if that were the case, and I am only human.”

Gianluca Zambrotta missed the 2-1 defeat to Wales in Cardiff last year through injury, but this season he has been on scintillating form.

“Our morale was high and we knew it would be tough,” said the Juventus wide man, “but our desire to win was far too strong.”

“In the end we could have scored more than four goals and thoroughly deserved the points.”

Zambrotta has become a new player since moving from a right winger to a left-back at club level and now internationally.

“I am working hard to make the most of this new role and hope it continues along these lines. A good fitness level is crucial for this wide position and you have to give 100 per cent in training.”

Mauro Camoranesi has taken that right flank role from Zambrotta and had several good chances to score today.

“The whole midfield worked well,” noted the Argentine-born winger, “and was helped by the movement of the forwards. Above all we look to this result as a great prize for our efforts.”

“We must take things one step at a time. We are all going to enjoy this win and prepare for Belgrade in a relaxed fashion.”

The Azzurri travel to face Serbia & Montenegro on Wednesday as the Euro 2004 qualifying campaign continues.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Guys I guess we have got a problem, Inzaghi is on very good form and it 'll be hard for trap to leave him out of the Starting line-up. but we have Vieri (Traps Favourite). and Trap prefers to play 4-2-3-1 so How would both Vieri and inzaghi fit in with the likes of Del piero and Totti available too and should be playing. :undecide:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
Guys I guess we have got a problem, Inzaghi is on very good form and it 'll be hard for trap to leave him out of the Starting line-up. but we have Vieri (Traps Favourite). and Trap prefers to play 4-2-3-1 so How would both Vieri and inzaghi fit in with the likes of Del piero and Totti available too and should be playing. :undecide:
If Totti isn't 100% fit then it makes sense to let him rest and play the same formation that we played with today, as it evidently ruled. I expected Del Piero to struggle a bit, but he is in such good form that he's going to do well wherever he plays.

Although Inzaghi scored a hat-trick I reckon he should be the player left out. He's just not in Vieri's class and I think he'd struggle in the 4-2-3-1 formation because he doesn't have the physical strength required.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++

That sounds perfect to me :D

We don't need any Romanista on the field :stuckup:
IMO Totti offers the Azzurri alot more than Inzaghi does, but as long as we win and the Juve players in la Nazionale do well, I'm happy.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++

IMO Totti offers the Azzurri alot more than Inzaghi does, but as long as we win and the Juve players in la Nazionale do well, I'm happy.
I guess if Totti was here and played tonight, i doubt we would have won with such result. :undecide:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Maybe not, but Totti is still more important to the Azzurri than Inzaghi is...

PS. If Inzaghi is to continue starting for la Nazionale then it will be ahead of Vieri, not Tottie-hottie or Del Piero.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)