the big match: Italy - Wales (3 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
:howler: @ Tottie-hottie

I guess Trap will think Over and over to return to the old 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2 system again after today's result.
Doesn't matter what formation Trap plays. If he plays 4-2-3-1 it will be Camo, Totti, DP behind Vieri. If he plays 4-4-2 it will be DP on the left and Totti upfront with Vieri (like versus Ecuador @ the WC). And if he plays 4-3-1-2 it will be Totti behind DP and Vieri.

Sander

Feb 5, 2003
That was a realy great match!!

Del Piero was great 2 , so elegant and stylefull.
I hope Italia can keepup this level, then they will dominate the EC, like they dominated the CL.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
well you can't grantee Dp to show This kind of form he showed today cause it isn't his Normal position.
Well, I kinda hope that he doesn't play the full 90 against Serbia-Montenegro on Wednesday because we need him to be ready for the Champions League game and the trip to Verona.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
I guess Trap will Play him for 70 mins or something, then he will bring Delvecchio in for him. like he did before. but we should be leading to make that subs.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Yeah, of course. I don't expect Trap to take off DP if it's 1-1 or something like that, I just hope that we can get an early two goal lead so that Alex and Zambro can rest.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Very good game for Italy and a fantastic result

Buffon ; really had nothing to do but did make a crucial save on Giggs when it was still 0-0 , the only other thing he did worth taking about was trying to fight the entire team by himself (6)

Panucci : what a waste of space and was rightly booed for he was and is just a useless player, uncertain in defence almost gifted Giggs a goal with a silly back header and his crossing was just appalling, should never play for Italy again (4)

Zambrotta; Oh my goodness whata super player he is turning out to be, imo Juve's best player(outfield) since the turn of the year and his form has been on the up and up, he is close to being one of the best allround players around (8)

Cannavaro : always brave . always lionlike, but he seems to be a on the wane or is it my imagination, still one of the best markers in world football if not the best (7)

Nesta: he just oozes class and if there is a better central defender around , please let me know his name (7.5)

Perrota ; all heart and gives his all for the cause, not particulary skilful but very effective , had a very good game (7)

Zanetti: other half of the best pairing in the Italian midfield , like Perotta, he is no where near skilful but he gives his all and you have to admire that and they work well together(perotta), (7)

Camonaresi : the more I watch him the more I am so unimpressed by his play, very slow, holds up play too much and to think there was this hulaballoo about his playing for Italy, no way would Argentina have used him at all imo, did some nice things but Id prefer him to start on the bench (6)

Delpiero ; with his match against Switzerland and Romania in wc2002 qualifiers in Romania , this has been his best performance for the azzurri, he was simply classy, played on the left very well, made a very cute shot in the secondhalf which was reminicent of the Dp of the 94-97/98 seasons, and did quite well as a playmaker much to my surprise (8)

Inzaghi: well you cannot do more than scoring a hattrick can you (9)

Vieri : a game he would like to forget , I am afraid as he was not very good, his control was not that good, he managed to miss some incredible chances , even Pippo's opener was another amazing miss by Bobo , but he was not that bad though as he worked hard (6)

Oddo: changed the game and I have said it before he is the best crosser of the ball in Italy, and no way should he be on the becnh while Panucci starts, his cross for Inzaghi's second was one Beckham would have been proud of. (7)

Well if Italy can accommodate the mecurial talents of Totti and maybe if Miccolli can develop in to a very good right winger or atleats learn to play that role, and Panucci is dropped completely thne there is a making of a very good team and squad there

You have to remember that SerieA just started last week and the way they played for 90 minutes was a testament to their heart and will to win even if it has to be said Wales were missing a couple of central defenders though i doubt it would have made much of a difference

Ps: Juve fans would be happy to know that the combination of Zambrotta and Del piero was easily the highlight of the match as they combined delighfully throuout

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
Italy 4 - 0 Wales

Inzaghi 60, 64, 71 (I), Del Piero pen 76 (I)
San Siro (67,999)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A hat-trick from Pippo Inzaghi sparked a crushing 4-0 win over Wales that sent Italy clear at the top of Group Nine.

Italy needed a victory to overtake Wales at the top of the Euro 2004 qualifying standings, but were without a host of star players including Francesco Totti, Fabrizio Miccoli and Alessio Tacchinardi.

Christian Vieri, Simone Perrotta and Cristiano Zanetti struggled valiantly on despite niggling injuries, while Alessandro Del Piero was pushed out to an unusual wide role.

Wales could welcome back John Hartson and Craig Bellamy from their own injury woes and wanted to replicate the 2-1 victory in Cardiff. 8,000 Welsh supporters made the trip to the sold out San Siro.

Mark Hughes' men had a good early chance when Christian Panucci's header back to the goalkeeper was less than accurate, but Gianluigi Buffon recovered on Ryan Giggs.

Christian Vieri was controversially flagged offside when he was sent through by Inzaghi soon after.

Gianluca Zambrotta was very lively down the left flank and provided the cross for Vieri's header to shake the roof of the net.

Tempers flared on 27 minutes when Wales played on despite the fact Alessandro Nesta was down injured. When play was eventually stopped by Fabio Cannavaro, a scuffle broke out between an irate Buffon and Craig Bellamy.

Vieri wasted another good opportunity by volleying straight at the goalkeeper following Inzaghi's assist.

Wales were also extremely dangerous when Hartson drilled over an open goal following Buffon's mis-timed rush off his line to challenge Giggs.

Inzaghi was perhaps the most dangerous forward with a lot of movement across the field and saw his counter-attack deflected over the bar just before the break.

It took chaotic defending and a Page goalline clearance following shots from Vieri, Del Piero and Inzaghi as the pressure increased towards the end of the first half.

Trap's tactical switch - moving Del Piero to a more central position - contributed to this change in Italy's gear.

The Azzurri continued to waste great chances with Vieri's header back to Inzaghi eventually ballooned over the bar.

The best opportunity fell in stoppage time when Del Piero's fantastic dipping drive from distance was palmed on to the bar by Paul Jones. Perrotta's follow-up was then deflected on to the outside of the near post.

The second half continued the way the first had concluded, with Italy thumping the woodwork through a low Cristiano Zanetti volley.

The ball simply refused to hit the back of the net when moments later Vieri's delicate chip beat the 'keeper but was cleared off the line by a heroic Page.

Trap made his first substitution, introducing Lazio wingback Massimo Oddo in place of the disappointing Christian Panucci.

Lady Luck finally turned in the Azzurri's favour with Pippo Inzaghi's opportunistic opener. Del Piero's intelligent looping header had found Vieri at the back post only for him to strike the crossbar again, but Inzaghi did not fail the follow-up from six yards.

Inzaghi had been dropped from the Azzurri set-up for recent outings, but made a spectacular comeback by netting a second goal moments later.

Substitute Oddo's sweeping centre found a magnificent right-foot volley from the Milan hitman that rattled in off the crossbar.

The Italians were riding high on the wings of enthusiasm and notched up a series of chances, including a curling Del Piero effort that skimmed the far post.

Inzaghi was on fire and completed his eleven-minute hat-trick with style. Vieri managed to sweep in a difficult cross from the by-line, allowing Inzaghi to turn his marker and drill home an angled drive.

The former Juventus star ran himself ragged and was granted a standing ovation from the San Siro when he was replaced by Milan teammate Gennaro Gattuso.

Welsh shot-stopper Jones kept the scoreline down with a splendid one-handed save on Camoranesi's header from yet another Zambrotta centre.

On the resulting corner Zambrotta was threaded through by Del Piero and Davies hauled him down for a penalty. Juventus captain Del Piero stepped up to successfully convert the spot-kick.

It was a particularly tough blow for Mark Hughes' men, as before this night they had conceded just two goals in the entire qualifying campaign.

Vieri was the only forward who couldn't get his name on the scoresheet, as he ran on to Del Piero's through ball, but tripped after rounding the goalkeeper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy: Buffon; Panucci (Oddo 57), Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta; Del Piero, Zanetti, Perrotta (Fiore 85), Camoranesi; Vieri, Inzaghi (Gattuso 74)

Wales: P Jones; Delaney, Page, Koumas (Earnshaw 72), Speed; Davies, Savage, Pembridge; Bellamy, Giggs; Hartson (Blake 81)

Ref: Merk (Ger)
FORZA PIPPO!!!!:touched:

FORZA AZZURRI!:star: :thumb:

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
Good morning everybody...

I missed the match yesterday and I'm just feeling lazy this morning .. could anyone tell me the score..obviously, from the last couple of posts.. italy won..but what was the score..?who scored.. how well did our juventini players..?

Jul 12, 2002
Italy 4-0 Wales

3 goals by Inzaghi
1 goal on a penalty by Del Piero

Zambrotta was great, Camoranesi good, Del Piero fair, Gigi awesome as usual, and the rest (if any) not mentionable.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
dp fair??? did you watch the game? he was awsome! better than camo. and our defense was awsome (except pannuci)
Yes I saw most of the game. But, I think that DP was not at his best. He didn't make very intelligent runs...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)