the better defender - gentile or scirea? (3 Viewers)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
from what ive read,and correct me if im wrong,scirea was the smooth,classy defender and gentile was rough and gruff.i havent really seen too much of scirea's footage,but i once saw this footage of italy vs argentina at the 1982 world cup finals,and the way gentile manmarked maradona out of the game with his rough approach was pretty amazing really.

leave club loyalty aside.in terms of pure skill,which one of them was the better defender?

i really havent seen enough to draw a conclusion,so i thought id bring up the topic over here.

Buy on AliExpress.com

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
havent seen enough of Scirea, but seen a few clips for Gentile and hes a real tough defender.

would be interesting though, to have a comparison.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Gentile was tough, really tough (like Canna and Puyol for example)

Sciera was smart (like Nesta and Maldini)

So I pick Gaetano ;)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
I'm tempted to say Scirea, but Gentile was nearly unbeatable man-on. He wasn't your typical tough guy either, he had the brains to go along with it.

Club stature aside, I'd have to give it to Gentile I think.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Gosh! think this debate is for our older members who are ............Hmm lets say around 35-45 years old. Jeeks that you? :D

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Azzurri7 said:
Puyol actually is a world class defender, and really reminds me of Cannavaro. Though Fabio is by mile ahead of him.

Puyol looks like he panics when he has the ball. Too rash for my liking to put him in the world class catergory. Nesta is relaxed so too was maldini. Thats class!

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Puyol is shit at centreback, he was way better as fullback. He makes so many clumsy mistakes and is often caught being defensively unaware. An average defender made to look better than he really is. Kind of like Balzaretti on Juventuz.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
How Puyol can be considered "shit" at centerback is beyind me... he is still better than Kovac, Boumsong, Materazzi, Barzagli, Thuram or any other stopper continuously discussed on this forum. Puyol is not as good as Cannavaro however he still is top ten in the world of centerbacks.

If Puyol was such "shit" Barcelona would not have reached the final of the Champions League last season with the players lining up in a 2-5-3 all the time.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Don't be petty about the choise of words, of course it's all relative. Puyol as a centreback is far behind the best of the world in that position.

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
Azzurri7 said:
Puyol actually is a world class defender, and really reminds me of Cannavaro. Though Fabio is by mile ahead of him.
If you ask me Puyol is playing better than Cannavaro right now. Anyway, we all know what a kind of defender Cannavaro is;)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Black&White. said:
If you ask me Puyol is playing better than Cannavaro right now. Anyway, we all know what a kind of defender Cannavaro is;)
:agree:
just watched the madrid derby and Aguero just made cana look like Raul Bravo :D

Falafel

Shawarma
Jul 23, 2006
Andy said:
How Puyol can be considered "shit" at centerback is beyind me... he is still better than Kovac, Boumsong, Materazzi, Barzagli, Thuram or any other stopper continuously discussed on this forum. Puyol is not as good as Cannavaro however he still is top ten in the world of centerbacks.

If Puyol was such "shit" Barcelona would not have reached the final of the Champions League last season with the players lining up in a 2-5-3 all the time.
na actually in champs league he ruled, especially his faking in order to get sheva and milan out of champs league. messi cheated on chelsea, n the goal on arsenal was offside, thats y they won the champs league

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)