the better defender - gentile or scirea? (2 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Dominic said:
Don't be petty about the choise of words, of course it's all relative. Puyol as a centreback is far behind the best of the world in that position.
In terms of tackling... yes he's right behind Cannavaro in that respect. Those two are at the top in pure tackling. The only few who can even be considered better players than Puyol in my opinion are Cannavaro, Terry and Nesta. Carles is simply a beast.

Now back to the topic on hand, I'm not sure I can give an honest assessment on which player, Scirea or Gentile, is better. Both are absolute legends and the best stoppers to have ever played for Juventus.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
isha00 said:
Can I ask how many of you have had the chance of seeing these two legends on action?
I for one haven't had it :moan:
I didn't have that pleassure, but I watch a lot of videos and read a lot and my uncle, who taught to play football with Gaetano as his idol, talked a lot about him. Enough reason to put Gaeatano and Claudio in the favorites players list;)

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
Yes .. please any clips of them ... that would be great ...

about puyol he's a good tackler ... makes a good captain ... but he's clumsy ( zidane's goal in the WC ... france-spain) :agree:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
isha00 said:
Can I ask how many of you have had the chance of seeing these two legends on action?
I for one haven't had it :moan:
I certainly wouldn't dare comment if I hadn't had the opportunity to watch them both. Not live, though.

I must state however I have a clearer understanding of Gentile's qualities as a player than I do Scirea's, therefore my conclusion is skewed somewhat. Gaetano remains something of an enigma to me beyond the precious little I have seen.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Andy said:
In terms of tackling... yes he's right behind Cannavaro in that respect. Those two are at the top in pure tackling. The only few who can even be considered better players than Puyol in my opinion are Cannavaro, Terry and Nesta. Carles is simply a beast.
Carles constantly strikes me as a player who has every physical attribute a stopper could ask for, without the mind to go with it. He lacks awareness and isn't the most disciplined of players either; what he has in abundance is aggression, passion and determination. His approach to defending is crude but nonetheless effective in man-on situations, as a result; but where he is required to lead a back line as a cohesive unit, organize set piece positions or read a move before it happens he is usually found wanting. That and the fact that he tends to be uncomfortable with possession and error-prone does him no favours.

To me, being a stopper (as opposed to being a sweeper a la Nesta) is no excuse for being crude or loutish at the art that is supposed to be defending. While it is true that the stopper is the muscleman of the pair, it should not be at the expense of other neccesary qualities such as those stated above. Carles is not a cultured defender by any stretch of the imagination; that is not merely stylistic preference on my part either as I firmly believe that there is a minimum level of sophistication required in any good defender, and even more so for one claiming to be one of the leading players in what is probably the hardest position to play in the field.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Carlos Puyol is a beast. He has that mentality that "nothing will go through me and if the ball does go past me then I will make sure you dont", which I believe is a prequisite for all world-class CB. I think as a tough-tackler he is better than Canna already as I have rarely seen a man who get better of Puyol in one on one situation. Only player IMO that is comparable to Puyol is of course Canna, Cordova and perhaps Gonzalo. Furthermore, I feel arieal attribute is one of the least respected aspect of Puyol's game. I remember Zalayeta absolutely taking Sol Campbell to the school on air, but comparatively small Puyol dominated him in arieal battles.

Nonetheless, I too find Puyol's distribution to be somehwat desired and he can be clumsy at times with certain positional lapses on occasions. Then again, you can just about find faults in every other top class players (Nesta & His injury problems, Canna & his use of ball, Terry & speed). and I am willing to let Puyol off the hook, because his contribution to the team through his influence, dedication cannot be denied. I think when it comes down to it, its all about tastes.
I love these traditional hard-core stoppers who take no non-sense so I have soft spot for Charles.

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
How can people bash Puyol? He has everything one can wish for in a central defender. Pace, speed, positioning, heading, tackles. Everything. Plus he's been playing with Marquez who is far from Barca class, in La Liga.

In my opinion definate top 3 defender in the world and top notch captain. A dream player for every team there is.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
There is no need for reasons... Anyone who's actually seen them both play would see it as a completely ridiculous question, comparing 2 players who were on completely different levels... One being World Class in his time, the other being arguably the very best of any time... There is no comparison.

It's like comparing Nesta to Baresi...

Sep 28, 2002
yeah, ive seen a bit of gentile and probably a bit more but still next to nothing of scirea, but the best indicator about the two was when libero said in his thread where he compared past and present players of juve and milan, that scirea = baresi, and that coming from a milan fan with rather deep knowledge about the game kind of puts things where they belong...

Apr 12, 2004
Curva Scirea is the better defender because he weighs 36 tons, is made out of reinforced concrete, and takes up the whole defensive side of the pitch.

Curva Scirea is the best defender to ever allow 12,000 people to stand on him and urinate and vomit and blasphem.

I love that curva, a true fan......saw every home game for over ten years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)