The Azzurrini (U21) Thread (15 Viewers)

May 22, 2007
Motta was actually really good at that level. Still, the other three are pretty good defenders.
Yeah, I remember being optimistic about Motta signing. I thought Bocchetti might be similar to what Bonucci is now, I still like him from what I've seen, which is very little at the national team.

Still have Balotelli scoring a beautiful goal before kicking a Swede and getting sent off as a clear memory. Morosini in that squad as well.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
Motta was actually really good at that level. Still, the other three are pretty good defenders.
No stars though. Comparing to older Italy squads, they always had top players in defence. I can't see any of them in these new generations. There might be some really solid players, but clearly no new Maldini or Cannavaro.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yeah, I remember being optimistic about Motta signing. I thought Bocchetti might be similar to what Bonucci is now, I still like him from what I've seen, which is very little at the national team.

Still have Balotelli scoring a beautiful goal before kicking a Swede and getting sent off as a clear memory. Morosini in that squad as well.
I remember that game as well, I was watching the game in a bar in Cyprus. The final was a bit of a joke, Italy were better than what turned out to be a great group of Germans.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
No stars though. Comparing to older Italy squads, they always had top players in defence. I can't see any of them in these new generations. There might be some really solid players, but clearly no new Maldini or Cannavaro.
That's true. I think the way players defend now means you are unlikely to see defenders like that, maybe ever again. They are more likely to be great football players than masterful defenders.

The one I see in this squad who looks like a 'proper' defender to me is Vasco Regini, but he is more Chiellini than Nesta or Cannavaro.

Keep an eye on Giuseppe Prestia who is owned by Palermo. He and Masi.

- - - Updated - - -

I was something of a fan, but he was always charging forward in a strong team. It's one thing having that role in U21 football, but asking someone to play as a normal right back for a top team showed his real level.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I was something of a fan, but he was always charging forward in a strong team. It's one thing having that role in U21 football, but asking someone to play as a normal right back for a top team showed his real level.
Yeah I really liked him back then, I was impressed in some matches and I can't believe how he failed later on. Rather disappointing.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
Marrone played very well today.

He made many Pirlo-esque passes today. Verratti made a lot of passes, but Marrone's were more difficult and dangerous IMO.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
England's panel on Sky Sports waxing lyrical about Verratti and Insigne. Worth noting how Italy dominated the midfield even with a man less in there.

Also we should consider that England could pick Wilshere, Wilfried Zaha, Tom Ince and Raheem Sterling for this tournament if they were fit. Those are players that would improve their quality.

Jul 1, 2010
England's panel on Sky Sports waxing lyrical about Verratti and Insigne. Worth noting how Italy dominated the midfield even with a man less in there.

Also we should consider that England could pick Wilshere, Wilfried Zaha, Tom Ince and Raheem Sterling for this tournament if they were fit. Those are players that would improve their quality.
El Shawarma, De Sciglio could also play for Italy, if they weren't at the Confederations Cup.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I love how Jay is so fucking balanced with his views :D

Marrone, Verratti and Marrone were by far the best players tonight. V and M controlled the midfield well and barely gave England a sniff of the ball. Insigne was as busy and dangerous as ever with his off the ball runs, as well as his work on the ball. Tricky little player, too bad he is a Napoli player.

- - - Updated - - -

El Shawarma, De Sciglio could also play for Italy, if they weren't at the Confederations Cup.
Balotelli would also theoretically be available as well :D

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
That quartet of Marrone, Verrati, Insigne Gabiaddini.....

lets hope they just destroy n this tournament. Marone needs this paytime badly too.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

Marrone, Verratti and Marrone were by far the best players tonight. V and M controlled the midfield well and barely gave England a sniff of the ball. Insigne was as busy and dangerous as ever with his off the ball runs, as well as his work on the ball. Tricky little player, too bad he is a Napoli player.

- - - Updated - - -

Marotta....:klin:

Jul 1, 2010

- - - Updated - - -

Marrone was so good that you mentioned him twice :D

Joey Jokes

Feb 17, 2009
I have a friend who is an Arsenal fan who doesn't watch much serie A other than Juve. He still thinks Motta is the second coming of Maldini because of that one wonder game he had for Roma vs Arsenal a few years back.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
Did you guys noticed that gk and the whole defence is from internazionale? Bardi; Donati, Bianchetti, Caldirola, Biraghi.
Italian squad dominated by inter, now that's unusual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)