The Azzurrini (U21) Thread (11 Viewers)

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
Casiraghi high fives Azzurrini Saturday 17 November, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pierluigi Casiraghi praised his Under-21 Italy squad after their emphatic 5-0 qualifying win over Azerbaijan.

“The boys did brilliantly. It was a great game even though we struggled a little at the start, partly due to the heavy water-logged pitch and of course to our opponents’ performance,” said the Coach.

“It is only a shame we picked up some yellow cards that will suspend a few players for the next match.”

Goalscorers Robert Acquafresca and Daniele Dessena were booked and will miss the encounter with the Faroe Islands.

“We knew that Azerbaijan had good technique, although perhaps a little less in terms of physical presence, so we came out in the long run and once we broke the deadlock it got easier from there.”

The undoubted star of the show was Sebastian Giovinco, who set up four of the five goals despite being a bench-warmer at club side Empoli, but Casiraghi tried to spread his praise.

“There are many talented players in the squad. We need to let them play and have faith in their abilities,” commented the tactician.

“It is not easy for me to pick who to start, especially upfront. Paolo De Ceglie played a great game at left-back.”

Italy are dominating their Group with 16 points to Croatia’s 12 and Greece on 10. Albania follow on seven, the Faroe Islands three and Azerbaijan one point.

Today Albania travel to the Faroes, while Greece welcome Croatia in a head-to-head for second place.

The winners of each group reach the European Under-21 Championship play-offs along with the four best runners-up.

The tournament will take place in Sweden in June 2009.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
U-21: Casiraghi calls debutants Saturday 17 November, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azzurrini boss Pierluigi Casiraghi has called Torino’s Davide Bottone and Davide Di Gennaro of Bologna.

The pair were drafted in for the next European Under-21 Championship qualifier against the Faroe Islands.

They replace Robert Acquafresca and Daniele Dessena, who picked up yellow cards in the 5-0 thrashing of Azerbaijan last night and must sit out bans.

It is the debut call-up for the Under-21 side for both Bottone and forward Di Gennaro.

As for the starting XI next Tuesday, it is believed Morosini will take Parma midfielder Dessena’s place.

Either Empoli youngster Nicola Pozzi or Fiorentina’s South American starlet Daniel Osvaldo should play upfront.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Bottone living Azzurrini dream

Torino midfielder Davide Bottone has spoken of his pride after receiving a shock call-up to Pierluigi Casiraghi’s Azzurrini squad.

The Under-21 side have been hit with injuries and Claudio Marchisio and Marco Rossi were forced to pull out at the eleventh hour before the thumping win over Azerbaijan.

Daniele Dessena and Robert Acquafresca picked up bookings last Friday and are suspended leaving Bologna’s Milan-owned hitman Davide Di Gennaro and 21-year-old Turin native Bottone to receive the call to face the Faroe Islands.

“It is a dream come true,” Bottone told Tuttosport. “I want to thank Toro President Urbano Cairo as he spent the money to buy me from Varese and I hope that this will also please him.

“I can never thank Walter Novellino enough for what he has done for me. From my first training session at Malles he has treated me like any other player and shown faith in me. I will always be thankful to him.”

Torino’s squad is full of promising youth prospects with Marco Motta and Matteo Rubin already capped at Under-21 level and Tommaso Vailatti tipped to follow.

Di Gennaro has made just one appearance for Milan to date when he replaced Alessandro Costacurta against Udinese last season in the veteran stopper’s emotional San Siro farewell.

However, the promising striker has hit two goals in six games for Serie B promotion contenders Bologna and will hope to make his mark on the international stage on Wednesday.

channel 4

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
U-21: Casiraghi focused on Faroes Tuesday 20 November, 2007

Pierluigi Casiraghi wants his Azzurrini to stay focused against the Faroe Islands to cement their Euro 2009 qualification advantage.

Italy’s Under-21 side lead Greece by a point, but they have a game in hand after Croatia upset the Greeks last weekend.

Casiraghi’s men hammered Azerbaijan 5-0 on Friday, but they will have to do without a vast number of players for the trip to Torshavn.

Marco Rossi, Giuseppe Rossi, Claudio Marchisio, Marco Andreolli, Matteo Rubin and Francesco Pisano are injured, while Robert Acquafresca and Daniele Dessena are suspended.

“It would be a crucial win to keep us dominant at the top and to round off a very positive year in all respects,” Casiraghi stated.

Although the Italians will be huge favourites to take maximum points, they won’t underestimate a side that made them sweat in a 2-1 win in September.

“I’m sure that the Faroe Islands, who are welcoming back five suspended players, will give us as much trouble as they did in the first game,” the Azzurrini boss continued.

Casiraghi signed off by offering his congratulations to senior counterpart Roberto Donadoni.

“I’m happy for Donadoni because he has worked well and the success is thoroughly deserved,” he said.

“It is an important triumph for football in this country as a whole.”

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Azzurrini’s cold reception

Pierluigi Casiraghi’s Under-21 side are preparing to face the Faroe Islands in the bitter cold of Torshavn and the Coach is expecting a tough test.

The Azzurrini lead Euro 2009 qualifying Group 1 and have a chance to extend their lead at the top with a win over the Nordic minnows.

Last Friday’s 5-0 hammering of Azerbaijan will have boosted Casiraghi’s men, but they won’t be allowed to forget how hard they had to work for a 2-1 win when the two sides met in Italy.

“We remember how hard the home game was,” Casiraghi insisted. “It will need another performance like the Azerbaijan game to get the win.

“They will be very determined and organised in defence so we need to find space to impose our game on them.

“It’s a crucial match, even if a win won’t mathematically guarantee qualification.”

The Tórsvøllur clash kicks off at 1pm and the Italians are expected to have just one fan to roar them on.

University student Alarico Rossi - a friend of Empoli defender Lino Marzoratti and former Milan academy player – is believed to be the only away fan.

channel 4

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yes it is.

Pozzi spares Azzurrini blushes

The Azzurrini are within sight of Euro 2009 qualification as Pierluigi Casiraghi’s 10-man side struggled to a 1-0 win over the Faroe Islands.

Italy’s youngsters were looking to follow up their 5-0 mauling of Azerbaijan last Friday, but they faced a sterner test in freezing conditions in Torshavn against a side they only just overcame 2-1 at home.

Casiraghi’s men dominated early proceedings as Faroe 'keeper Gunnar Nielsen denied Luca Cigarini after six minutes and Pisa hitman Alessio Cerci fired into the side-netting five minutes later.

Cerci’s shot was parried into the path of Juventus defender Domenico Criscito, but he ballooned his effort over the bar. The rain continued to fall and the Italians continued to miss chances as Cerci headed against the bar from close range.

As half-time loomed, Brescia defender Fabiano Santacroce lashed out in a 50-50 and was surprisingly shown a straight red card.

Despite their numerical handicap, the Azzurrini continued to pile on the pressure and Cerci’s shot was brilliantly saved before the interval.

The introduction of Empoli’s Nicola Pozzi was the turning point and finally Casiraghi’s men got their deserved breakthrough after 80 minutes when Pozzi rose to head home Paolo De Ceglie’s cross.

The deflated Faroes had fought hard for a stalemate and looked dispirited as the game fizzled out.

Italy’s Under-21’s have a handsome seven-point lead at the top of Group 1 and have now amassed 19 points from seven games.

Faroe Islands 0-1 Italy
Scorers: Pozzi 80
Sent Off: Santacroce 41
Italy U-21: Consigli; Motta, Santacroce, Criscito, De Ceglie; Morosini, Cigarini, Paonessa (Bolzoni 46); Giovinco, Cerci (Marzoratti 57), Osvaldo (Pozzi 67)
Ref: Vik (Svk)

channel 4

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Casiraghi praises 10 troops

Italy Under-21 boss Pierluigi Casiraghi has praised his side for fighting past the Faroe Islands with 10 men.

Brescia stopper Fabiano Santacroce was dismissed with just 35 minutes played, but the Italians still dominated in Torshavn and grabbed a 1-0 win, courtesy of a Nicola Pozzi header 10 minutes from time.

“We were a bit tired out there,” Casiraghi stated on Rai after the final whistle. “I’m happy because we reacted well to losing a man.

“We played well and created lots of chances in the opening half an hour, but that little bit extra was missing as we missed at least five chances.

“I’m really pleased with Piermario Morisini and Nicola Pozzi. They are already like veterans at such a young age.”

Casiraghi’s side lead Croatia by a point at the top of Group 1 and have a game in hand with three left to play.

There is now a sizeable hiatus in the qualification process with the next test coming in Azerbaijan on March 25.

channel 4

Chazz

natobiaconero
Nov 15, 2007
Under21, i convocati per l'Olanda

ROMA - Il commissario tecnico della nazionale azzurra Under21, Pierluigi Casiraghi, ha diramato la lista dei convocati per l'impegno amichevole del 5 febbraio in programma a Ferrara contro l'Olanda. Sono in tutto 20 i giocatori:

Portieri: Consigli (Rimini), Viviano (Brescia);
Difensori: Coda (Udinese), Criscito (Genoa), De Ceglie (Siena), Marzoratti (Empoli), Motta (Torino), Rossettini (Siena), Rossi Marco (Parma);
Centrocampisti: Cigarini (Parma), Galloppa (Siena), Giovinco (Empoli), Montolivo (Fiorentina), Morosini (Vicenza), Nocerino (Juventus), Russotto (Treviso);
Attaccanti: Cerci (Pisa), Osvaldo (Fiorentina), Pozzi (Empoli), Rossi Giuseppe (Villareal)
calciomercato.it

Chazz

natobiaconero
Nov 15, 2007
I guess Nocerino and Montolivo will be the over age players, its a good looking squad. With some great players missing, ok i know for sure Marchisio is injured im not sure but the other 3 Santacroce, Dessena and Acquafresca but i think they might have some minor injuries

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
It should be.

I guess Nocerino and Montolivo will be the over age players, its a good looking squad. With some great players missing, ok i know for sure Marchisio is injured im not sure but the other 3 Santacroce, Dessena and Acquafresca but i think they might have some minor injuries
:agree:
I like the team. It's good to see Rossi back. :tup:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Giovinco Out Of Azzurrini Clash With Holland

Empoli youngster Sebastian Giovinco has been ruled out of Italy Under-21’s clash with Holland on Tuesday due to injury.

The skilful playmaker missed Empoli’s controversial defeat by Inter at San Siro this afternoon due to muscular problems picked up in last week’s home loss to Fiorentina.

The 21-year-old has now also been forced to pull out of the Azzurrini friendly with Holland as his recovery is taking longer than was first expected.

Giovinco is regarded as one of the most promising young talents in Italian football and is undoubtedly Pierluigi Casiraghi’s team’s star man.

The pint-sized pocket-dynamo will be replaced in Casiraghi’s squad by Empoli team-mate Ignazio Abate, who will be keen to add to his solitary Under-21 cap.

Giovinco is currently on-loan at Empoli from Juventus, but he is widely expected to return to Turin in time for next season.

The youngster has made 19 Serie A appearances this term, scoring three goals.

goal.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)