The Azzurrini (U21) Thread (4 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Didn't see the game but I suppose it's not a surprise to see Uruguay more comfortable playing in La Plata. Seems like they really turned it on in the final and deserved to win.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
The team for the U21 euros was finalized with Gnonto arriving later. It looks good, it has talent and experience, but u like the U20 it should have problems creating chances and goals so freely. The midfielders are all much more solid than creative. 2 DMs, 2 all -rounders, and 2 mezzale.

Portieri: Elia Caprile (Bari), Marco Carnesecchi (Cremonese), Stefano Turati (Frosinone)

Difensori: Raoul Bellanova (Inter), Andrea Cambiaso (Bologna), Giorgio Cittadini (Modena), Matteo Lovato (Salernitana), Caleb Okoli (Atalanta), Fabiano Parisi (Empoli), Lorenzo Pirola (Salernitana), Giorgio Scalvini (Atalanta), Destiny Iyenoma Udogie (Udinese).

Centrocampisti: Edoardo Bove (Roma), Salvatore Esposito (Spezia), Fabio Miretti (Juventus), Samuele Ricci (Torino), Nicolò Rovella (Monza), Sandro Tonali (Milan).

Attaccanti: Nicolò Cambiaghi (Empoli), Matteo Cancellieri (Lazio), Lorenzo Colombo (Lecce), Wilfried Gnonto (Leeds), Pietro Pellegri (Torino).

The wingbacks should play a key role, it will be interesting to see the choices between Udogie vs Parisi and Bellanova vs Cambiaso.

Apr 9, 2015
Pretty good squad and a lot of regular Serie A starters. If you look at the team two years ago at EURO almost half the squad was playing in Serie B.
Tonight is the first game Italy - France, will be a tough game, France is a top 3 team this EUROS for sure.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Pretty good squad and a lot of regular Serie A starters. If you look at the team two years ago at EURO almost half the squad was playing in Serie B.
Tonight is the first game Italy - France, will be a tough game, France is a top 3 team this EUROS for sure.
If Kean joined the team it would also do good for him. Lots of talented players like Elye Wahi (France), Openda (Belgium) also play in the tournament. Kean choose for holiday instead play in the tournament. Even Tonali choose to play

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Gazzetta's lineup:

Colombo - Cambiaghi
Udogie - Ricci - Rovella - Tonali - Bellanova
Scalvini - Lovato - Okoli
Carnesecchi
I'm guessing Gnonto arrived too late from the nations league. Its telling that they are all Serie A regulars or already starters, an improvement of the last tournament.

That is a very strong midfield and defense.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
The kids went 3-0 up in the first half and then coasted until Switzerland scored two.

Parisi and Bellanova were great. Gnonto got his goal, Tonali orchestrated the first half performance. Bove risked the match but this time we got some help from the refs, I guess an overcorrection after the France fiasco.

I think Fagioli would have really helped this team in transitions to attack, and a better CF than Pellegri would help too.

Apr 9, 2015
The kids went 3-0 up in the first half and then coasted until Switzerland scored two.

Parisi and Bellanova were great. Gnonto got his goal, Tonali orchestrated the first half performance. Bove risked the match but this time we got some help from the refs, I guess an overcorrection after the France fiasco.

I think Fagioli would have really helped this team in transitions to attack, and a better CF than Pellegri would help too.
Italy can't produce strikers anymore. Immobile is the only one from the last years. Last good strikers were fossils Totti, Di Natale and Gilardino. Maybe Balotelli who wasted his potential. What a disaster is Italy's striker position last 15 years. :lol:

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Last group match tonight, a win vs Norway puts us in the knockouts.

For the Juve perspective of our players and targets: Miretti, Cambiaso, Gnonto, Scalvini and Parisi are tipped to start.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Italy can't produce strikers anymore. Immobile is the only one from the last years. Last good strikers were fossils Totti, Di Natale and Gilardino. Maybe Balotelli who wasted his potential. What a disaster is Italy's striker position last 15 years. :lol:
They produce good CBs, CMs (especially) and interesting wide players. But the lack of a top class striker for nearly 20 years now has badly hurt them. I remember Portugal went through a phase (before Ronaldo finally started playing as an out and out CF) where they were failing to produce another top #9.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
They produce good CBs, CMs (especially) and interesting wide players. But the lack of a top class striker for nearly 20 years now has badly hurt them. I remember Portugal went through a phase (before Ronaldo finally started playing as an out and out CF) where they were failing to produce another top #9.
Has Portugal produced a good CF yet? In my lifetime I don't think there has been a great one. Neither has Spain since Villa retired. We are starved for one besides Immobile. Balotelli really dropped the ball. Gnonto looks like the best one. Scamacca or one of the Esposito brothers could be it if they got their heads straight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)