The 4-2-3-1 Formation (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
I am just curious , why do you need a holding midfielder when you are not that attacking a team?
What do you mean we're not an attacking team? We may not go gung-ho like Real Madrid, but almost all of our players like to get forward, including the wing backs, which at times leaves us with only two players at the back, and in this case a holding mid is needed, hence Tacchi.

In the 4-3-1-2 formation I can understand us going with Camoranesi-Appiah-Davids across midfield, but not in the 4-2-3-1 which includes Miccoli, Nedved, Del Piero and Trezeguet. Since Zambrotta in particular comes forward so often, it would be near suicide to play with a central midfield partnership of Appiah and Davids.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Really now :irritate: Tacchinardi has just come off of his best season in midfield and you want him to switch positions? :groan: That's madness IMO, since Tacchi is such as good midfielder. He may not be as explosive as Davids or as creative as Appiah or Maresca, but he does what's needed of him. He keeps things simple but is efficient :stuckup:
Who cares if he is simple or efficient? He isn't the kind of player that we need in midfield. He is too slow and his passing is too innaccurate. My point is that people say that we need a true holding midfielder, but I disagree, it's completely uneccessary, especially considering that we play with four defenders. Tacch, thus, should either sit or play in defence.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
i dont know what it is that you want from Tacchinardi, but i dont think he is capable of playing much better than he did last season.

we have del piero, nedved, miccoli, and trezeguet all attacking. zambrotta and thuram push up a lot as well. now with appiah and davids, two very good hardworking players who like to get forward as well, you think that is going to work???

and with our defence, who lets face it, isnt rock solid at the moment.

fellas, i know Buffon is good, but come on, he cant save 100000 shots on goal every game:D

Tacchinardi is good to have for a few reasons. One, he isnt an attacking minded player. Two, he links the defence with the midfield well which is something that davids doesnt do as he doesnt stay back that far all the time. And the third might not seem important to some, but i believe that his height (not huge, but still tall) is important for our team. juve lack height in their team. we have del piero, nedved, miccoli, davids, montero all being fairly short, average probably 5'10". add appiah in there as well, that leaves us with a dwarf team. tacchinardi might not be as tall as a vieira, although many arent anyway, but still, he gives some height in the midfield and in the team also. but like i said, many might think height isnt important. maybe if tudor and legro both played, it would matter as much.

but yeah, lets not kid ourselves here, if tacchinardi doesnt play, only maresca can replace him for our team to function to its best, not both davids and appiah.

anyway, maybe if lippi tried appiah and davids first, we could get better reccomendations on it.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I really believe that 4-2-3-1 is the best way forward for Juventus and Italy. We would be crazy not to with players like Di Vaio, Miccoli and Del Piero available.

AleDP

Apr 19, 2003
I think this formation is awesome for this Juve team!

Trez is an out and out striker.....and with Miccoli, Nedved and Alex behind him in support that can be pretty lethal. Obviously with DP pushing little deeper than the other 2. Davids and Appiah as def mid would be awesome and i like our defence espeically with Zamby making runs on the left and Thuram on the right. Montero and Legrottaglie in the middle.

bearing in mind we have Di Vaio, Camoranesi, tacchinardi,maresca, Tudor etc....as back ups were in good shape

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++
i dont know what it is that you want from Tacchinardi, but i dont think he is capable of playing much better than he did last season.
We aren't saying that he played his role poorly, we are saying that his role is not neccessary, and thus he should adapt himself or sit on the bench.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by JUVESUPPORTER ] ++
I am very skeptic that the 4-2-3-1 formation will work in europe....
Why not? It's not really so different from what we played last year....

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++

What do you mean we're not an attacking team? We may not go gung-ho like Real Madrid, but almost all of our players like to get forward, including the wing backs, which at times leaves us with only two players at the back, and in this case a holding mid is needed, hence Tacchi.

In the 4-3-1-2 formation I can understand us going with Camoranesi-Appiah-Davids across midfield, but not in the 4-2-3-1 which includes Miccoli, Nedved, Del Piero and Trezeguet. Since Zambrotta in particular comes forward so often, it would be near suicide to play with a central midfield partnership of Appiah and Davids.
Real Madrid do not go gung ho and there is a big difference between an attacking team and a countering team and we are definitely somewhere in between and the way we are set up does not require a holding midfielder , its noit as if it prevents apposition from attacking us willy nilly

OP

the phoenix

Aug 8, 2002
  • Thread Starter #31
    Denco,

I can appreciate your thoughts on Davids and Appiah starting side by side as DM. The more I think about it the more I cannot wait to see if Lippi will actually try it. I mean just thinking about can grab your interiest, its more balanced and in a way very complimenting to the other players. Great thinking. Let Davids and Appiah run around like a crazy horse!!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

Why not? It's not really so different from what we played last year....
    umm... maybe he said that because it's so different, and we did well in Europe last year...

well actually, we didn't really do well, just some of the results went our way. Frankly, I think we sucked against Milan, Moneyche$ter, even Barca...

I think this formation will be great in Europe. We need to use the great creativity we have, bolstered by the arrival of Miccoli.

As for the mids, I think Davids and Appiah should play, because ... they're great! They're both faster than Tacchi (i think), which makes up for them being (a little bit) less defensive-minded. I disagree, Adrian, when you say that Davids (and Appiah) doesn't link the defence and the midfield well. Davids runs back plenty, and is hardly ever caught too deep into attack that he can't get back and defend.

Davids and Appiah are also better at tackling. Tacchi always gives away stupid fouls, even though I guess sometimes that's a good thing when we're hit on the counter... but then again, Davids can rough players up and commit stupid fouls for us too :thumb:

The only time I'd play Tacchi instead of one of Davids or Appiah would be if I'm guaranteed that he can score a 'Basel goal' every game :D

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    I am really shocked to see that some people are underrating Tacchi skill, contributaion and role in our midfield, Did you forget what he has done to us last season, how important and vital he was and how we looked unstable and shaky without him. C'mon he was our best midfielder after Nedved in the last season. Forza Tacchinardi. :thumb:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
    I am really shocked to see that some people are underrating Tacchi skill, contributaion and role in our midfield, Did you forget what he has done to us last season, how important and vital he was and how we looked unstable and shaky without him. C'mon he was our best midfielder after Nedved in the last season. Forza Tacchinardi. :thumb:

his is our makelele.. the unsung heroes

Jul 12, 2002
    That means nothing. We have two faster, more skilled players who will be better suited to the spot.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    I also think Tacchi should play !!!

He'll do so well in the Coppa Italia !!!

Seriously, Davids should definitely be in there with either Appiah or Tacchi, depending on who is in better form

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

Oh, Davids. No, I was talking about Appiah and Maresca.
    well, i have to see both of them play together before i can judge, for now i think Tacchi and Appiah are just perfect.

Jul 12, 2002
    well, i have to see both of them play together before i can judge, for now i think Tacchi and Appiah are just perfect.
    No no, i mean Davids should play with either Appiah or Maresca!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)