Tactics and Formations (26 Viewers)

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
Dec 23, 2012
Roma did not press us much this game at all, everyone and I mean everyone is at fault for the loss, while the 3-5-2 has down sides the players did not help the situation. The mids did not support the strikers and gave away possession far to often, the wing-backs did not make runs for pirlo to pass to, everyone was static and just looked sluggish, even Vidal was poor.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
A lot of these issues, are there because of the system

Our best players mask these faults. But when we call on our squad players we fall victim to our system which at times looks like some disgusting 5-1-2-2------0

Roma barely pressed us when we were passing around our back 3. But beyond that, our midfield got pressed to shit.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
It's not so much Roma pressed us, but they forced us to defend. When we're forced to defend a 4-3-3, our wingbacks drop all the way back to mark Roma's wingers and we have 5 players in front of our goal. Then you add Pirlo who sits on our CBs all game and you have 6 players pinned way back.

Whenever we regained possession, Roma was basically already in a pressing situation without having to actually exert any extra effort to get into that spot, since they were already there from their own possession. We try to stretch them out with our 2 strikers but we just create a huge gap and ask them to sprint 20 yards back to receive a pass with Benatia on their back. Won't work.

This is what Conte has yet to adjust to. If Conte wants to go somewhere and defend, then he should do it with a 4-3-3/4-5-1 that doesn't commit 5 or 6 players so deep and has 3 potential outlets instead of just 2 static forwards like the Real Madrid games.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Agreed.

You would think that he realised how effective a 4-3-3 can be in such games

We had a makeshift 4-3-3 and werer unlucky to get just 1 point from Madrid. Imagine what we could do with a Winger or two. And a LB if possible.

TheOulOne

Feb 28, 2014
When is this 5-3-2 nonsense gonna stop?? He has the players to maul the italian teams so the formation isnt as big of an issue domestically but in the champions league they have been so poor using this this system. They are very predictable and the attack is far to sludgy. Lichsteiner and Asamoah provide nothing going forward - when they finally reach the final third of the pitch that is. They're both work horses who do great work defensively but in attack they are at a complete loss.
It's a very Conte-minded set up. He's obsessed about fitness, work, grafting, did i mention work?? Juve may be able to last the full 90mins but the majority of that is spent chasing the ball against the top sides in Europe. I think the likes of Pogba and even Vidal could look elsewhere this summer after another crash out in the champions league. There has to be some indication from Conte that there will be a more positive approach to their play and ambitions. These formations always breed a negative, conservative mentality. You go one goal behind and what then?? You cant tell the full backs to just become wingers, you cant tell vidal to become a third striker. You're stuck.
And quality opposition love it. They can ping the ball around Juve's half waiting for a gap to slide it through. They dont even have to worry about a counter as Asamoah and Lichstiener cant do sh*t in possession and Pirlo can barely break 1st gear. Conte has to wake up, recognize they have embarrassed themselves on the big stage and take a serious look at his militant, stanched attitude to the team.
As a few have already mentioned, Juve looked very comfortable with the 4-3-3 against Real, who have gone on to trounce teams since. And Pepe (who's an average player at best) being injured is not an excuse to revert back to this 5-3-2 sh*t. Both Gio and Tevez have played wide in the past and have done fantastic jobs for Parma and Utd.

Ideally:

Buffon

Lichsteiner Chiellini Barzaghli Asamoah

Vidal Pirlo Pogba

Tevez Llorente Gio

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
i hope what we saw today is contes tactic to win and the players to not get tired. if not then we are really totally out of form. however, considering our current squad, conte has to do this. to keep the players fit he must either rotate more or try to win like we saw today. he cant rotate because he has no fucking bench to rotate while not losing much quality in the starting XI. thats i think why we are playing like this when we can just cruch our opponent seeing the quality of our players. and that really shows what a brilliant coach he is...

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
For next season, I think we can start off by dropping Pirlo on the bench. I feel he is slowing the tempo too much and would lack motivation after retiring from the NT.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
why is everything from the last 2 months deleted here :shifty:

- - - Updated - - -

For next season, I think we can start off by dropping Pirlo on the bench. I feel he is slowing the tempo too much and would lack motivation after retiring from the NT.
im starting to think we wont keep Pirlo for the next season. we still havent renewed the contract, maybe he will retire after the WC???

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
We should keep him. But we should look to move away from basing our game on him. Surely we have to start somewhere. Putting a more dynamic midfielder is an option we need to explore.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
We should keep him. But we should look to move away from basing our game on him. Surely we have to start somewhere. Putting a more dynamic midfielder is an option we need to explore.
yes, i agree with both, we should keep him and not basing everything on him. but, isnt it strange that we didnt renew the contract yet. there are news about Pogba every in a while but for Pirlo, i didnt read anything

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
The problem is that we don't stretch teams enough. A cautiously optimistic approach in big games isn't going to give that bit extra which we need. Sometimes throwing caution to the wind is the best thing to do.

Unfortunately it's never been a hallmark of Juve.

alex164

Jul 4, 2014
If we play with a 433 formation next season; how do we think the midfield will line up?

I would presume that the three would be Pirlo Pogba and Vidal, but who would be the most withdrawn of them?

I would guess it would be;

gk
dr dc dc dl
Pogba
Pirlo Vidal
rw lw
st

The way i see it 433 relies on an anchorman to destroy play through the middle, and Pirlo doesn't really do that. He's more of a quarterback from that positon.

Vidal is an excellent box-to-box player and we would miss his attacking play if deployed too far back.

Pogba is dynamic and can obviously fill the defensive midfield role, but would we then lose some of his dynamism?

Do we think additions will be made, or am i missing alternatives from within the squad? Marchisio, Asamoah etc?

Jul 2, 2006
So this is how it is gonna be

Buffon

Licht - Barzagli - Chiellini - Evra

Vidal - Pirlo - Pogba

Iturbe - Llorente - Tevez
--------
Storari

Caceres - Bonucci - Ogbonna - ?

Marchisio - Marrone? - Asamoah

Coman - Morata - Giovinco

We still need to get rid of Isla, Pepe, Quag, Padoin.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
So this is how it is gonna be

Buffon

Licht - Barzagli - Chiellini - Evra

Vidal - Pirlo - Pogba

Iturbe - Llorente - Tevez
--------
Storari

Caceres - Bonucci - Ogbonna - ?

Marchisio - Marrone? - Asamoah

Coman - Morata - Giovinco

We still need to get rid of Isla, Pepe, Quag, Padoin.
Yeah pretty much. In the second formation Asa as LB and Rabiot/Pepe as CM IMO.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Pepe should definitely stay. He can be a defensive RW or an attacking RWB if we switch formations. He can also play in CM as well.

I'd much rather him as a 3rd choice RW then keeping Isla/Quag/Padoin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)