Tactics and Formations (25 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
wouldn’t be surprised if Pirlo rotates his midfield until he finds the right combination. McKennie with those two seems the most intriguing to me, but it would also mean benching one of kulu/Chiesa, which isn’t intriguing at alllll. Maybe go to that trio once there’s a lead to protect
Definitely going to be a lot of rotation for sure. Having no preseason with so much change really puts us in an awkward position.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
I don't understand why Rabiot is underappreciated. He should always be in the starting lineup, he's already a starter for world cup champions. Even pre-covid, after a year or so of inactivity at PSG, he lacked in offensive contribution but wasn't bad at all.

My ideal midfield trio would definitely be: Bentancur-Arthur-Rabiot. It offers defensive solidity, energy and quality passing.

Szczesny

Danilo - De Ligt - Chiellini

Chiesa - Bentancur - Arthur - Rabiot - Sandro

Dybala - CR7

-------------------------------------

With players like Kulusevski, Demiral, Cuadrado, Ramsey, Morata and McKennie to be included from time to time starting or off the bench.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011

I think this is precisely what Pirlo is thinking, considering the ensemble of his interviews.

My biggest concern is if a 2 men midfield, with no added DM, is compatible with 3 CBs. I've always thought if you play 3 CBs, you need 1 DM (or regista) + 2 CMs.

This is a bold bet and it will require a lot of movement training and huge defensive/offensive from almost all players.

About players, the biggest and most important question mark is Bernardeschi on the left. But I like the idea. Sandro will shift between this position and LCB a lot (considering Chiellini is bound to injury).

Also the fit of De Ligt as a RCB is questionable, and honestly, might be a bit of a waste, considering how a pure and classic CB he is. I would imagine he would do better as a SW.

And I also struggle to see Demiral doing well in any of the 3 back positions. For some reason, I also picture him as a very traditional part of a 4 men defense.

Also, let's see if Arthur will have enough stamina and workrate to feature in a 2 men midfield.

If most of these stuff works, watch out. This could become a great team from the get go. Just never play Cuadrado on the left again. Stick to natural feet of RWB and LWB.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
If everyone is fit id like this

Szczesny

Danilo De Ligt Demiral Sandro

Kulusevski Rabiot McKennie Chiesa

Dybala Ronaldo

McKennie drops back as almost a fifth defender, providing cover and allowing kulu and Chiesa to attack. The other CM can either be Rabiot/Arthur/Bentancur, whoever plays the best.
mckennie isn't that good of a defensive player unfortunately. bentancur + rabiot is still a bit underwhelming for such an expensive squad, but imo this is our best bet for any formation with 2 cm's.

:boh:

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
mckennie isn't that good of a defensive player unfortunately. bentancur + rabiot is still a bit underwhelming for such an expensive squad, but imo this is our best bet for any formation with 2 cm's.

:boh:
https://smarterscout.com/articles/b...mnt-fabian-ruiz-napoli-luiz-gustavo-righteous

Argues that McKennie is much more effective as a DM as opposed to CM, and the position switch led to his breakout for Schalke last season.

Bentancur and Rabiot are too redundant for me, i don’t think the pairing works as well as one of them + McKennie. As for Arthur, I think he works best in a three man mid. Hate him as a pivot.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
https://smarterscout.com/articles/b...mnt-fabian-ruiz-napoli-luiz-gustavo-righteous

Argues that McKennie is much more effective as a DM as opposed to CM, and the position switch led to his breakout for Schalke last season.

Bentancur and Rabiot are too redundant for me, i don’t think the pairing works as well as one of them + McKennie. As for Arthur, I think he works best in a three man mid. Hate him as a pivot.
for me, an effective dm is usually easier to measure than any other position bar strikers: if a player has good record in tackles + interceptions, and has a decent passing accuracy, then he's usually good. (the emphasis is on usually, for instance felipe melo fits the bill by his numbers, and he's still an idiot. players like rodri, camavinga, ndidi, casemiro, gueye, saul or busquets are better examples.)

now, mckennie averaged 1,4 tackles and 1,6 interceptions last season. both are worse than bennacer, brozovic or locatelli, and i'm really aiming low this time, prime vidal or prime marchisio were way more effective. based on mckennie's historical data, their passing is more accurate too. i'd be disappointed if someone like mckennie was a starter for us in one of the most crucial position.

of course he gets the benefit of the doubt and of course pirlo can do wonders with him, but i don't expect him to be brilliant at ball winning at all. as for pressing and positioning, i expect him to do fine - but we desperately need ball winners in the middle of the park. that's a weakness we've been unable (or unwilling) to fix since vidal was sold.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
I think this is precisely what Pirlo is thinking, considering the ensemble of his interviews.

My biggest concern is if a 2 men midfield, with no added DM, is compatible with 3 CBs. I've always thought if you play 3 CBs, you need 1 DM (or regista) + 2 CMs.

This is a bold bet and it will require a lot of movement training and huge defensive/offensive from almost all players.

About players, the biggest and most important question mark is Bernardeschi on the left. But I like the idea. Sandro will shift between this position and LCB a lot (considering Chiellini is bound to injury).

Also the fit of De Ligt as a RCB is questionable, and honestly, might be a bit of a waste, considering how a pure and classic CB he is. I would imagine he would do better as a SW.

And I also struggle to see Demiral doing well in any of the 3 back positions. For some reason, I also picture him as a very traditional part of a 4 men defense.

Also, let's see if Arthur will have enough stamina and workrate to feature in a 2 men midfield.

If most of these stuff works, watch out. This could become a great team from the get go. Just never play Cuadrado on the left again. Stick to natural feet of RWB and LWB.

I don't like the idea of Chiesa or Berna as RWB and LWB. It just very unbalanced and left the space too open for counter attack

For me, the ideal formation for us with the players at our disposal is 4-2-3-1. It deployed by lots of teams in Bundesliga like Bayern and Dortmund. And it very suitable if Pirlo want to press since upfront with our RW/LW press directly to their Full Back but we still got protection by our fullbacks

GK : Szczesny / Buffon

RB : Danilo / Cuadrado
LB : Sandro / Frabotta
RCB : Bonucci / Demiral
LCB : De Ligt / Chiellini

RCM : Bentancur / McKennie
LCM : Rabiot / Arthur

RW : Kulusevski / Chiesa / (Cuadrado)
LW : Ronaldo / Bernadeschi / (Chiesa)
CAM : Dybala / Ramsey / (Kulusevski)

ST : Morata / Dybala / (Ronaldo)

I don't see we have any depth for 3-5-2

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
I don't like the idea of Chiesa or Berna as RWB and LWB. It just very unbalanced and left the space too open for counter attack

For me, the ideal formation for us with the players at our disposal is 4-2-3-1. It deployed by lots of teams in Bundesliga like Bayern and Dortmund. And it very suitable if Pirlo want to press since upfront with our RW/LW press directly to their Full Back but we still got protection by our fullbacks

GK : Szczesny / Buffon

RB : Danilo / Cuadrado
LB : Sandro / Frabotta
RCB : Bonucci / Demiral
LCB : De Ligt / Chiellini

RCM : Bentancur / McKennie
LCM : Rabiot / Arthur

RW : Kulusevski / Chiesa / (Cuadrado)
LW : Ronaldo / Bernadeschi / (Chiesa)
CAM : Dybala / Ramsey / (Kulusevski)

ST : Morata / Dybala / (Ronaldo)

I don't see we have any depth for 3-5-2
This looks spot on. The position of the offensive players is tricky (would rather Kulu as the CAM, Dybala as a starting SF), but in general this looks the most logical deployment of players. Simple and well-defined. The 03 CBs thing is looking way too forced indeed.

rakib567

Apr 27, 2013
Sczcesny
Cuadrado Deligt Bonucci Sandro
Kulusevski Bentancur Arthur Chiesa
Dybala
---------Ronaldo

Buffon
Danilo Demiral Chiellini Fabrotta
Bernardeschi Mkennie Rabiot Portanova
Ramsey
---------Morata​

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
I don't understand why Rabiot is underappreciated. He should always be in the starting lineup, he's already a starter for world cup champions. Even pre-covid, after a year or so of inactivity at PSG, he lacked in offensive contribution but wasn't bad at all.

My ideal midfield trio would definitely be: Bentancur-Arthur-Rabiot. It offers defensive solidity, energy and quality passing.

Szczesny

Danilo - De Ligt - Chiellini

Chiesa - Bentancur - Arthur - Rabiot - Sandro

Dybala - CR7

-------------------------------------

With players like Kulusevski, Demiral, Cuadrado, Ramsey, Morata and McKennie to be included from time to time starting or off the bench.
The players are good but I don't know if the system fits them. Don't get butthurt over it.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Time to stop worrying about hurting peoples feelings. This is my lineup when everyone is fit

Szczesny

Danilo De Ligt Bonucci Sandro

Rabiot Arthur McKennie

Kulusevski

Morata Ronaldo

Chiesa can be a super sub ala Costa while he gets acclimated. Ramsey and Chiellini are always injured so they can’t be relied on as starters. Bonucci and Demiral fight for a spot next to MDL.

Aug 12, 2015
Time to stop worrying about hurting peoples feelings. This is my lineup when everyone is fit

Szczesny

Danilo De Ligt Bonucci Sandro

Rabiot Arthur McKennie

Kulusevski

Morata Ronaldo

Chiesa can be a super sub ala Costa while he gets acclimated. Ramsey and Chiellini are always injured so they can’t be relied on as starters. Bonucci and Demiral fight for a spot next to MDL.

This is my lineup when everyone is fit:

...........................TEK..............................

Cuad........De Ligt........Demiral..........AS

.........Bentancur............Rabiot................

.....Kulusevski......Dybala.............CR7....

.........................Morata........................

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
This is my lineup when everyone is fit:

...........................TEK..............................

Cuad........De Ligt........Demiral..........AS

.........Bentancur............Rabiot................

.....Kulusevski......Dybala.............CR7....

.........................Morata........................
4231 really looks like the way to go. And when Berna founds his playing boots he will make that RWF spot his own, assists a dozen of Princess7 goals and scores atleast 10 goals by himself (Del Piero style of course). :delpiero: @Bianconero81

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)