Tactics and Formations (12 Viewers)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Before talking about 4312 we should try matuidi and pjanic together in a 4231...

otherwise we will have gazzilion wingers for nothing

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
4231 might be our main formation but we can adjust to an opponent. Also, we can change during a game which is always difficult for the opponent to comprehend quickly. It's like an extra weapon.

Wysłane z mojego FRD-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
4231 might be our main formation but we can adjust to an opponent. Also, we can change during a game which is always difficult for the opponent to comprehend quickly. It's like an extra weapon.
This. I'm especially looking at CL games against top teams here. Just throw in that 3rd mid to not get run over.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Wait, so we just went out and bought 2 wingers for a total cost of approximately 90 million, just to change formation?! :boh:
Have we paid the full price for Costa? Thought it was 6m loan with obligation to buy end of season? So technically we havent spent 90m yet. Or are you talking about Cuadrado there? He was 20m. So it doesnt add up to 90m so far.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Have we paid the full price for Costa? Thought it was 6m loan with obligation to buy end of season? So technically we havent spent 90m yet. Or are you talking about Cuadrado there? He was 20m. So it doesnt add up to 90m so far.
An obligation, which by definition, means it'll have to be paid ;) We may not have spent it yet, but it's as good as done.

Higuain, Dybala, Mandzukic, Costa, Bernardeschi, Cuadrado, Pjaca, and Kean/Keita. 8 offensive players for 4 positions sounds about right. We aren't going to revert to a 3 man midfield just because we bought Matuidi (should've purchased Tolisso :sigh:) We have nowhere near enough depth or quality to deploy a 3 man midfield without taking massive risks, thus it will not become our staple/main formation. We might use it in Europe against a Madrid or Atletico, or any other team that might run us ragged, but it's definitely not going to be our primary formation.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Knowing Allegri, we won't just have 1 formation.

My guess is that he may want another CB so that he can have several options. Clearly the squad now is capable of playing numerous formations: 4231, 433, 4321, 442, 352, 3412, 3421, 352 etc.

Expect him to gravitate to 2 or 3 core ones as the season progresses. My guess is the 4231 will be the one he will start with (and may end up being the core formation until season end). 433 and back 3 are also distinct possibilities.

I wonder whether Allegri may also experiment with Lichsteiner or De Sciglio as a potential CB option on the right side of the back 3.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
An obligation, which by definition, means it'll have to be paid ;) We may not have spent it yet, but it's as good as done.
Some sell will finance it, like Bonucci finances Bernardeschi.

Higuain, Dybala, Mandzukic, Costa, Bernardeschi, Cuadrado, Pjaca, and Kean/Keita. 8 offensive players for 4 positions sounds about right. We aren't going to revert to a 3 man midfield just because we bought Matuidi (should've purchased Tolisso :sigh:) We have nowhere near enough depth or quality to deploy a 3 man midfield without taking massive risks, thus it will not become our staple/main formation. We might use it in Europe against a Madrid or Atletico, or any other team that might run us ragged, but it's definitely not going to be our primary formation.
There is still time to buy another depth signing. Also Marotta spoke highly of Bentancur.

Wouldnt rule out selling Cuadrado yet if we get Keita.

- - - Updated - - -

Knowing Allegri, we won't just have 1 formation.

My guess is that he may want another CB so that he can have several options. Clearly the squad now is capable of playing numerous formations: 4231, 433, 4321, 442, 352, 3412, 3421, 352 etc.

Expect him to gravitate to 2 or 3 core ones as the season progresses. My guess is the 4231 will be the one he will start with (and may end up being the core formation until season end). 433 and back 3 are also distinct possibilities.

I wonder whether Allegri may also experiment with Lichsteiner or De Sciglio as a potential CB option on the right side of the back 3.
We should have signed another CB if we go for back 3.

Looked at stats last season. Chiellini played 21 league games only. In 38 league season. He does have his injury problems these days. Benatia has them for last couple of years and isnt convincing and Barzagli is getting old with age/speed issues. I would have demanded another CB if i was Allegri. Doesnt need to be a starter, but someone.

If we dont, i have a feeling we will try to bring Caldara in january. I just dont trust Benatia to play himself into XI as a starter.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Tbh, I'm not really excited about the upcoming season, nor about our prospects in Europe. After making a shitload of money from the CL last year (and reaching the final), I expected a bit more ambition from our board. We haven't really spent that much, and the way we operate in the market isn't befitting of a CL caliber team, or one that just made a fuckton of money. Hopefully, we're saving up to buy one or two special players next summer, but I have serious doubts.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Some sell will finance it, like Bonucci finances Bernardeschi.

There is still time to buy another depth signing. Also Marotta spoke highly of Bentancur.

Wouldnt rule out selling Cuadrado yet if we get Keita.

- - - Updated - - -

We should have signed another CB if we go for back 3.

Looked at stats last season. Chiellini played 21 league games only. In 38 league season. He does have his injury problems these days. Benatia has them for last couple of years and isnt convincing and Barzagli is getting old with age/speed issues. I would have demanded another CB if i was Allegri. Doesnt need to be a starter, but someone.

If we dont, i have a feeling we will try to bring Caldara in january. I just dont trust Benatia to play himself into XI as a starter.
I smell a potential Cuadrado-Manolas swap may happen.

My guess is the following could happen:

IN: Manolas (or other CB), Keita, Spin some zola
OUT: Asamoah, Cuadrado, Kean (loaned out)

Maybe offer a free loan of Kean to Atalanta to clinch the Spinazzola deal.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Tbh, I'm not really excited about the upcoming season, nor about our prospects in Europe. After making a $#@!load of money from the CL last year (and reaching the final), I expected a bit more ambition from our board. We haven't really spent that much, and the way we operate in the market isn't befitting of a CL caliber team, or one that just made a $#@!ton of money. Hopefully, we're saving up to buy one or two special players next summer, but I have serious doubts.
Next summer priority might be keeper. I just dont know how Szezny is going to take Buffon place if he sits on bench here full year. He wont be in-form. Maybe Allegri will start doing some rotation but we shall see.

Makes sense to go big for someone like Oblak. Or what was that Donnarumma buy out clause again? Which might result in selling Dybala for big bucks. Looking at what is going on, we could get a 3 digit offer for Dybala.

- - - Updated - - -

I smell a potential Cuadrado-Manolas swap may happen.

My guess is the following could happen:

IN: Manolas (or other CB), Keita, Spin some zola
OUT: Asamoah, Cuadrado, Kean (loaned out)

Maybe offer a free loan of Kean to Atalanta to clinch the Spinazzola deal.
Seems very late for Roma to swap their starting defender? Had they done this in June, fair enough, plenty of time for them to find replacement. They already lost Rudiger.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Szczesny is an EXCELLENT keeper. He will definitely play a lot of games this year. Perhaps 1 in 3 wouldn't surprise me.

Also, I have to say I was very impressed with Pinsoglio in pre-season.

Seems very late for Roma to swap their starting defender? Had they done this in June, fair enough, plenty of time for them to find replacement. They already lost Rudiger.[/QUOTE]

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Szczesny is an EXCELLENT keeper. He will definitely play a lot of games this year. Perhaps 1 in 3 wouldn't surprise me.

Also, I have to say I was very impressed with Pinsoglio in pre-season.

Seems very late for Roma to swap their starting defender? Had they done this in June, fair enough, plenty of time for them to find replacement. They already lost Rudiger.
We already have issues defensively right now in this preseason, doesnt make sense to start rotating between keepers, it will only affect more of the harmony.

Maybe Szczesny is excellent but if he doesnt play a lot how he keeps his form going? Nero at xtratime rated Neto also, and he didnt play much last season and moved on. Started in coppa and odd league game when Allegri rested Buffon before CL night.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I know we don't have enough depth in CBs but I think this formation has good balance and uses our attacking players to full effect with Dybala playing closer to goal:

------------------Buffon-----------------

-----Barzagli----Rugani----Chiellini----

Costa----Marchisio---Pjanic----Sandro

---------------Bernardeschi-------------

-----------Dybala-----Higuain-----------

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I know we don't have enough depth in CBs but I think this formation has good balance and uses our attacking players to full effect with Dybala playing closer to goal:

------------------Buffon-----------------

-----Barzagli----Rugani----Chiellini----

Costa----Marchisio---Pjanic----Sandro

---------------Bernardeschi-------------

-----------Dybala-----Higuain-----------
Costa wont help defensively at all right side. It looks very offensive and yet will get overrun in midfield by teams like Madrid. Still 2 CM/DM mids there.

- - - Updated - - -

Another formation option, with the players we have now, i could see us play diamond midfield:

RB-----------------------Rugani----------------Chiellini---------------Sandro
--------------------------------Pjanic/Bentancur------------------------------
------------------Marchisio/Khedira-------------Matuidi/Khedira-----------
-------------------------------------Costa/Bernadeschi-----------------------
---------------------------Higuain-----------------Dybala----------------------

But we need a good RB.

Reminds me of Milan diamond with Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Seedorf and occasionally Ambrosini. But they had very offensive fullbacks with guys like Cafu and Serginho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)