Tactics and Formations (45 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
But just be logical. You don't need three CB's and three central midfielders in the modern game. It should be obvious that if someone like Chiellini is starting attacks, you have a major problem. It's not hard to figure out, thank God Allegri did.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 6, 2015
Completely disagree with that. It really wasn't about the formation just that some of the players we now have didn't fit the formation perfectly anymore. Playing three at the back is actually a very modern tactic again and we've seen many teams adopt that tactic in recent years. Even some of the more attacking minded managers like to play three at the back.

That very formation is one of the big reasons we are now going through possibly the most successful era in the clubs history. In modern football center backs will be starting attacks along with the goalkeeper no matter what formation you play.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Completely disagree with that. It really wasn't about the formation just that some of the players we now have didn't fit the formation perfectly anymore. Playing three at the back is actually a very modern tactic again and we've seen many teams adopt that tactic in recent years. Even some of the more attacking minded managers like to play three at the back.

That very formation is one of the big reasons we are now going through possibly the most successful era in the clubs history. In modern football center backs will be starting attacks along with the goalkeeper no matter what formation you play.
yeh, but remember we had the players to pull it, and even then we were not able to compete in the CL with it. Although a reason for that was mainly because our wingbacks were not offensive enought. Asa and Licht did a good job at it, but they lacked more offensive prowess for us to be complete with that formation.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
still i said numerous times that dybala could play as treq, and a lot of peeps here mocked at me saying he was strictly a support tsriker..

now her we are.
Nice job, trying to take credit for that when it's painstackingly obvious that Dybala is the only player this formation isn't ideal for, as he was better as FW then attacking midfielder. .

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2015
yeh, but remember we had the players to pull it, and even then we were not able to compete in the CL with it. Although a reason for that was mainly because our wingbacks were not offensive enought. Asa and Licht did a good job at it, but they lacked more offensive prowess for us to be complete with that formation.
Yeah I agree with that. We had the players suited for the formation back then with an amazing midfield and prime BBC. Not sure I'd blame the formation for not being able to compete in the CL. We just lacked the players in certain positions + the mentality and believe to do so. I don't think us playing different formation back then would have brought any better results.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
How many successful teams in Europe have adopted it? Any recent CL finalists? We're the only team and we didn't even use it in our CL final. Do you really want someone like Chiellini leading out attacks? Or would you rather field something like Fabinho - Bonucci - David Luiz?

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Nice job, trying to take credit for that when it's painstackingly obvious that Dybala is the only player this formation isn't ideal for, as he was better as FW then attacking midfielder. .

Give him time, he is adapting and he has been unlucky in the last games. If all the posts he hitted would have been goals, you would have singed a different tune.
Allegri thinks he can pull it, so do I. Time will tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I agree with that. We had the players suited for the formation back then with an amazing midfield and prime BBC. Not sure I'd blame the formation for not being able to compete in the CL. We just lacked the players in certain positions + the mentality and believe to do so. I don't think us playing different formation back then would have brought any better results.
I agree with that last phrase. We were good but we lacked the goals, and well it was also fault of our irregular striking force. Things changed after morata and tevez came.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Other than Zach, I don't recall anyone saying that Dybala absolutely can't play CAM or on the wing. He definitely can... What remains to be seen is how effective he is in the position. He's been a bit unlucky with hitting the woodwork and been rather poor with his finishing recently, and still put up good numbers, but he seems to have trouble moving off ball as a CAM so far and hasn't been great at finding space to receive the ball... so he's not touching the ball enough IMO, but he is showing improvement.

Regardless, sacrificing a little bit of Dybala to make the team work so much better (same deal with Mandzukic) is a no-brainer, and hopefully he will continue to grow into the position.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Other than Zach, I don't recall anyone saying that Dybala absolutely can't play CAM or on the wing. He definitely can... What remains to be seen is how effective he is in the position. He's been a bit unlucky with hitting the woodwork and been rather poor with his finishing recently, and still put up good numbers, but he seems to have trouble moving off ball as a CAM so far and hasn't been great at finding space to receive the ball... so he's not touching the ball enough IMO, but he is showing improvement.

Regardless, sacrificing a little bit of Dybala to make the team work so much better (same deal with Mandzukic) is a no-brainer, and hopefully he will continue to grow into the position.
True that last part. I would gadly sacrifice some of his goals as SS if the team as a whole plays better and win. Im not obsessed with seeing Dybala score braces everygame. Everyone needs to work for the team. Its obvious his game got a hit with the change... but we need to remember that this season he has been irregular, an injury on top of that...and also even in our previous 352 he was not doing that great tbh, in comparison to last year for example when he was scoring for fun.

he seems to be gaining steam again tho.. i think better things will come

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
The reason i'm against moving Dybala to the right, is that i think a 4231 like this:

-------Khedira---Pjanic
Cuadrado--Dybala---Mandzukic

Is overall way better than:

-------Khedira-Marchisio
Dybala-----Pjanic-----Mandzu

Dybala has to take this one for the team, just like Mandzu.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The reason i'm against moving Dybala to the right, is that i think a 4231 like this:

-------Khedira---Pjanic
Cuadrado--Dybala---Mandzukic

Is overall way better than:

-------Khedira-Marchisio
Dybala-----Pjanic-----Mandzu

Dybala has to take this one for the team, just like Mandzu.
I like him more central too. Especially seeing Cuadrado and Pjaca can both play on the right quite well.

I also think he will grow into the CAM position. He has the "football IQ" for it...
@sgjuveboy :hihi:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 36)