Tactics and Formations 09/2010 (51 Viewers)

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
i will write down some opinions after seeing all of the last games: i don't like this formation because it turns us to a defensive team more than an offensive one. When we attack, if we play with melo, sissoko and poulsen like we did yesterday, we have only diego for creeating something in the middle. We need like 2 minutes to build up our play, to get our defensive midfield in the middle of the field for some link up passes (that 50% are wrong passes because dm's are not cm's) because you can see with your eyes closed that long passes doesn't work (we're not fiorentina...jovetic at 19 years simply gave us a lesson yesterday). What expectations should i have from Diego who left all alone between the oppositions defense and midfield, marked in any match man on man and our forwards stuck on the offside line. At least if we had Del Piero who would come down to take the ball and do something (i saw trez doing that yesterday in the dying minutes). And still being a defensive team (imo) we concede too much. Poulsen and melo can't give a through pass even if their life depends on it. Momo/camo can enter deep into the oppositions easily. I donno what to say about changing the system but in crisis situations like yesterday when it was 1-1, you must try to win it...camo and gio for sissoko and melo could had brough us the 3 points.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
You guys aren't serious about wanting Iago ? Gio sitting on the bench and didn't even get a minute while we were disappointing and lacking any real idea how to change a game.

Anyway back to some tactical issues I noticed over the past two games.

Its not fundamentally an issue with the system it is just the way the players are moving ( or in some cases lack of ). First of all defensively we cannot continue like this if we are going to keep this system. This crap of both full backs running forward with or without any real purpose is suicide. The instructions need to be set out that its not always go forward and forget your defensive position.

The second point is about the structure of the midfield and especially Diego. We don't have any width because the expectation seems to that only the full backs and the midfielders provide that. I think that needs to change with Diego moving to these positions and even one of the forwards. It is important for Diego to move more in the final third rather than just stick in the hole as he has been easily marked out of games by simply crowding him out. So if he moves further up in times, that will make his marking job much tougher. It will also give the opportunity to the CMs to push up more centrally and they will have more creating chances. So essentially getting Diego to push forward into the spaces vacated by the forward drifting to the side or him simply drifting the side where there is more space.

I think this system is good because it accomodates Diego, our midfielders along with Alex, Trezi and Vinny. The only player that potentially plays better in one striker system is Amauri ( even though he showed that he could play with another forward last year).

We need to have more awareness in the back as the team is not as compact as it was last year. The attacking players need to move more because with out it a team of sunday afternoon amateurs will smother us and mark us out. The promising aspects are that even with the bad form we are going through, chances are still being created (even though many are scrappy and without conviction), so once we improve we might create more and easier chances.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Same players, different formation. What's the point?! Why does Camo have to start? It's not like he has been setting the world alight with his recent displays. He is lazy, and always at risk of getting sent off. If we are planning on adopting a 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 Gio has to start either way.

Iaquinta and Amauri need some serious bench time (just cuz Amauri scored against La Viola, doesn't mean he has been exonerated for his failures over the past 8 months). I also believe Melo needs some time to think and reflect on his current displays, so it's the bench for him as well.

I'd play a 4-2-3-1 with Sissoko and Poulsen behind Camo, Diego, Gio, and Trez as the lone striker. However, we may also deploy a 4-3-2-1 with Poulsen, Sissoko, and Melo/Camo behind Gio, Diego, and Trez. Both these formations can transform into a 4-3-3 if need be, or a 4-4-2 with Camo and Gio on the flanks, with Diego in the seconda punta role.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Exactly. Sissoko on the flank? What the fuck? When has he cut in and slipped a clever pass between two defenders? That's Giovinco's forte, not Sissoko's. Take Poulsen out, put Sissoko beside Melo...or as you said, throw Melo on the bench.

Alessandro

Sep 13, 2002
In terms of quantity we have idial squad for 3-1-2 - 2 players for every position.
But now all realized the problem - we have only 1 support striker (DP) and 3 target men. So... we have to move Gio to DP substitution role, Camo to Diego sub and DC or Sali to 6th CM.
And all will be ok. In terms of quantity ;-)

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
there is only one problem..4-3-1-2 seems not to work for us....so if we go for a 4-2-3-1, we'll have 3 strikers out...and no subs for those 3 cm's except sali and dc imo.

RavaneVialli

Jan 27, 2008
WTF??????????//
why is Melo playing ina aplace where Gio will rule??
Oh come on... That's a clear 4-3-2-1, but Tuttosport wants to present their information in a flashy and blatant way, so they just use our strikers poor form to tell us that the offensive 4-2-3-1 is the best formation in the world. They would put any player on those wings, first Sissoko and now Melo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)