Syrian civil war (8 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Zach has little to no education on these subject. And I say that respectfully. Because I know he's not a stupid man. But he's very misinformed about many of these subjects and does not seem to have acquired the necessary critical thought for thinking in a more political / legal way. The fact he insists on speaking in absolute terms pretty much proves it. Zach is a scientist, who doesn't understand non-binary circumstances and actions.
It's irritating for the most part. He's an intelligent guy who doesn't understand how nuanced governance is and needs to be in order not to fall back into thousands of years of oligarchy and tyranny. Do governments overstep at times? Certainly. Are checks on government power a good thing? Certainly. However, it's pretty obvious that turning corporations into the equivalent of feudal lords is not a good idea and not beneficial in the slightest for the average person. But "entitlements" man, they are so evil! :lol2:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Anyone with half a brain should have foreseen that a businessman for president is just about the worst idea in the history of mankind. Trump has spent his entire life making deals at the cost of others. And now he's supposed to represent the American people? Hell yes, his actions are primarily moved by special interests.

Of course everyone is somewhat moved by potential personal gain, but I think Obama at least had the sense of reponsibility to consider what was actually best for the USA.
@Zacheryah

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's what everyone thinks, who is not a conspiracy believing, US-hating, islamofacist-loving lunatic. Those are a minority on the forum, though.
I can assure you my position on the legality of an Iraq war has nothing to do with hating the US. There are many many things I love about that country. Perhaps more so than any other country on Earth (except for my own of course).

Lol, seriously. It's such a vague "obligation".

The US has every good reason not to get rid of its nuclear weapons anyway.
It was written with the specific intent of allowing countries to circumvent it.

But my question to you was if you believed the US were trying to honour it and I think your response was clear.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
I can assure you my position on the legality of an Iraq war has nothing to do with hating the US. There are many many things I love about that country. Perhaps more so than any other country on Earth (except for my own of course).

It was written with the specific intent of allowing countries to circumvent it.

But my question to you was if you believed the US were trying to honour it and I think your response was clear.
Of course but they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
What it is doing right now.

Which is not invade shit for no legit reason and stirr up crap everywhere. Pull economic resolutions and talk.

You cant invade, remove the dictator and occupy. It never works. In my view, bleed that place economically dry if its breaking human laws. People will rise against the leadership and demand change. You'll end up with a new guy in charge or revolution (ammounts to the same).

New guy is probably as corrupt as the previous one, but once in a while you get it right, and work from there.

We talk, negotiate, use economics. We dont take military initiative (not remotely). I like it that way.
Without substantial improvements in economical and welfare terms you won't have any peace in the region.

Not to say money & wealth is gonna fix the problem by itself, but you're always gonna have bloodshed as long as people are starving. And that's the problem with most economic sanctions (& external involvement overall), they hurt the people much more than the regime.

- - - Updated - - -

You are so fucking naive and ignorant it would be quite amusing if it weren't so sad. The fact you are such a loudmouth about spewing your rubbish makes it even worse.

There's a reason no modern country in the world is organized under libertarian principles or government. Libertarianism is feudalism. The world tried it already, for hundreds of years. It allows people to barter their basic human rights away and become slaves out of "necessity". All libertarianism does is take the things you associate with liberal government and place them under feudal, private governance. Replace feudal lords with corporations. The fact you don't recognize this only shows your own nearly impossible to believe ignorance.
Yeah I didn't wanna get into this discussion now, but Zach's view of how humans - both individually and collectively - behave is incredibly simplistic and naive.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Without substantial improvements in economical and welfare terms you won't have any peace in the region.

Not to say money & wealth is gonna fix the problem by itself, but you're always gonna have bloodshed as long as people are starving. And that's the problem with most economic sanctions (& external involvement overall), they hurt the people much more than the regime.
Angus Deaton, Nobel laureate, says in a world without growth things become zero-sum. In Middle East economic growth comes from oil mostly, which does not require a liberal democratic system to thrive. So things are zero sum anyway.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
X is OWNING this thread big time. When you're called both an Islamofascist and a Muslim hater, you should realize you are doing it right :p

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't. I am not asking for US to ''save'' Syrians either. People should do it themselves, otherwise the puppet will be replaced by another. And they were about to do that, if it wasn't for Iran and Russia's heinous intervation.
How do you know the majority of Syrians were against Assad? Even protesters did not initially want him out. Assad promised a number of reforms (covering some of the main demands of protesters) as early as one month into the protests; sure it wasn't easy to believe him (though he indeed kept some of his promises but the opposition thought it was too late) but was it not worth the try given today's situation after 6 years?

Jul 2, 2006
How do you know the majority of Syrians were against Assad? Even protesters did not initially want him out. Assad promised a number of reforms (covering some of the main demands of protesters) as early as one month into the protests; sure it wasn't easy to believe him (though he indeed kept some of his promises but the opposition thought it was too late) but was it not worth the try given today's situation after 6 years?
Why wouldn't they? He isn't elected in first place. What merit does he have other than being son of his father? If he didn't know that reforms which will lead to fair elections is end of the line for him, he wouldn't go full retard and start massacring people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)