Syrian civil war (12 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
:lol:

So they'll just suddenly down arms after Assad is taken out? Dream world stuff...

While it's obviously delusional (and frankly stealthy) support of ISIS, he might have a point.

I'd bet that ISIS will set up their loving government, while the rest of the warriors will move onto the next victim.

I guess the good news is that if this happens, we can just nuke the new Islamic state into hell. Easy target.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
As far as I know there are lots of groups in there, like chechens and many more other crazy figters, but I'm wondering how many locals are in there that are actually destroying their own land?

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, and that's why I said earlier they document their crimes. You would be saying the same thing about Assad regime had you witness yourself the brutality and dictatorship that is being practiced on civilians.
The thing is that even in stalin you had the chance, to live. You risked being deported, loosing job, everyghing when you went against them. But now you can get your head chopped off, that's a bit extreme.

- - - Updated - - -

Obama in UN now: "We are ready to work with Russia and Iran in Syria"

In other words, we do not mind any crime done by Assad regime (The arm of Russia and Iran in Syria)

You're so fucked. What scares me is that there lots of people like you, you are so daft it's scary reading/hearing them.

- - - Updated - - -

If Assad is removed, ISIS will not have any excuse to be there.
Why I'm still surprised.

Oh, and rebel again you are wrong, I got an infraction.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I haven't read much of Rebel's posts here but I do agree that there isn't much of a difference between the Assad "Baath regime" and ISIS. Probably the only difference is that ISIS documented most of the crimes they did so far.
I mean it's obviously extremely difficult for anyone to get much reliable comprehensive information concerning the situation, but from how it seems to me after reading articles from different sides & discussions with some refugees, is that for the Syrian population Assad is just as much a threat as ISIS. This perception actually differs greatly from how things are portrayed in western media, understandably, where ISIS is sometimes even mentioned as the only perpetrator.

It's understandable of course, seeing as ISIS is openly and very agressively hostile towards the west, while Assad's motivations seem to be primarily power-driven, but it paints a very distorted picture.

The one thing I do agree with Rab about is the fact that both are as brutal as each other. Westerners will probably see more of ISIS atrocities, because they have more of a worldwide agenda, and because they actually document their crimes. However if you really delve in, you'll find that the Assad regime are just as brutal.

However the main difference between the two, and this is why I think Assad as terrible as he is, is always a better option than ISIS is the fact that Assad despite being a dictator, but at the very least Syria under him will be a state, with the minimum requirements: airports will work again, diplomatic relations with other countries will resume, schools will teach a somewhat normal curriculum. ISIS have no intentions to do any of that; they will be enemies with everyone as they see all neighbouring countries as infidels that should be conquered(ironically all muslim countries), they will turn schools into recruiting centers for their radical activity, and nobody will ever deal with them. They will turn Syria into something that is much worse than Assad's Syria, there is no doubt about that in my mind.

@Ocelot, you may be too new to the forums to know my views about Assad prior to the surfacing of ISIS, but I was completely with the revolution and completely against Bashar. But unfortunately in Syria right now, we are in the unfortunate situation where the two parties vying for power are two terrible solutions for the country, the choice has to be made, which is the lesser of two evils.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
That is what I fail to see how can someone choose ISIS over assad? It's going into worst possible imaginable stoneage with ISIS. It's not saying that assad is good, but that the alternative rule of ISIS is so fucked up it's something unspeakable in todays world.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
how is it not the point, youd rather have syria ruled by isis than Assad?
I don't have to pick TBH.

Someone who kills a 13 year old boy (Hamza Khatib) torture him and cut off his dick and send him in a box to his parent just because he was in a peaceful demonstration isn't more civilized than ISIS.

Or someone who cuts off a throat of a 26 years old man Al-Kamoosh was his name if I re-call (for singing and making lyrics against the regime) cut his fingers, torture him to death and then send him to his hometown in pieces.

Or burying alive teenage boys because they once went or participated in demonstrations.

Now you tell me mate, who would you pick? If you would pick the regime then there's isn't much of a difference between a pro regime and pro ISIS, just the masks and the way of living. (In both cases you will still live in a fear).

- - - Updated - - -

The one thing I do agree with Rab about is the fact that both are as brutal as each other. Westerners will probably see more of ISIS atrocities, because they have more of a worldwide agenda, and because they actually document their crimes. However if you really delve in, you'll find that the Assad regime are just as brutal.

However the main difference between the two, and this is why I think Assad as terrible as he is, is always a better option than ISIS is the fact that Assad despite being a dictator, but at the very least Syria under him will be a state, with the minimum requirements: airports will work again, diplomatic relations with other countries will resume, schools will teach a somewhat normal curriculum. ISIS have no intentions to do any of that; they will be enemies with everyone as they see all neighbouring countries as infidels that should be conquered(ironically all muslim countries), they will turn schools into recruiting centers for their radical activity, and nobody will ever deal with them. They will turn Syria into something that is much worse than Assad's Syria, there is no doubt about that in my mind.
100%, but the brutality will still exist and will be practiced even more.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I don't have to pick TBH.

Someone who kills a 13 year old boy (Hamza Khatib) torture him and cut off his dick and send him in a box to his parent just because he was in a peaceful demonstration isn't more civilized than ISIS.

Or someone who cuts off a throat of a 26 years old man Al-Kamoosh was his name if I re-call (for singing and making lyrics against the regime) cut his fingers, torture him to death and then send him to his hometown in pieces.

Or burying alive teenage boys because they once went or participated in demonstrations.

Now you tell me mate, who would you pick? If you would pick the regime then there's isn't much of a difference between a pro regime and pro ISIS, just the masks and the way of living. (In both cases you will still live in a fear).

- - - Updated - - -

100%, but the brutality will still exist and will be practiced even more.

That is unfortunately true, but let's be realistic, are there any other options out there? I really do wish that there was, but there just isn't. The two main sides in the conflict right now are ISIS and the Assad regime, this virtually means that Syria will remain a backward country, whose government controls all aspects of life, and uses systematic torture, and government sponsored killing to achieve its means. That is why I think there is no viable future, at least in the short term for countries like Libya and Syria.

Personally I've lost all hope in my own country, and Syria is in a much worse state; It's extremely sad.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
That is unfortunately true, but let's be realistic, are there any other options out there? I really do wish that there was, but there just isn't. The two main sides in the conflict right now are ISIS and the Assad regime, this virtually means that Syria will remain a backward country, whose government controls all aspects of life, and uses systematic torture, and government sponsored killing to achieve its means. That is why I think there is no viable future, at least in the short term for countries like Libya and Syria.

Personally I've lost all hope in my own country, and Syria is in a much worse state; It's extremely sad.
For the short term, indeed there isn't much of a choice even though I do blame the western and States for ditching the Free Syrian Army rebels, they started well but where ditched and left with no source.

Btw, don't you think that there are some sort of agreement between Assad and ISIS? The leave me and I'll leave you alone strategy? ISIS have been in few cities Assad didn't even try to fight them and vice versa, few cities that are controlled by Assad hasn't seen a single bullet shot.

They complete each others I still insist on this. When Assad regime said, it's either me or the fanatics he knew very well what he's doing, he opened the door he invited them he let them in, this won him votes. He didn't even had to fight them, Hezbollah and some other military groups clashed with them while the Assad regime was too busy kidnapping, torturing and butchering civilians.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

So they'll just suddenly down arms after Assad is taken out? Dream world stuff...
Yep, they'll come back to the UK and Germany and France and take back their old jobs at McDonalds. In fact this will be one of the fundamental job requirements, that you have experience fighting jihad against people from your own religion.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
For the short term, indeed there isn't much of a choice even though I do blame the western and States for ditching the Free Syrian Army rebels, they started well but where ditched and left with no source.

Btw, don't you think that there are some sort of agreement between Assad and ISIS? The leave me and I'll leave you alone strategy? ISIS have been in few cities Assad didn't even try to fight them and vice versa, few cities that are controlled by Assad hasn't seen a single bullet shot.

They complete each others I still insist on this. When Assad regime said, it's either me or the fanatics he knew very well what he's doing, he opened the door he invited them he let them in, this won him votes. He didn't even had to fight them, Hezbollah and some other military groups clashed with them while the Assad regime was too busy kidnapping, torturing and butchering civilians.
That could very well be true. Assad is pragmatic, he would do anything to survive and stay in power. If ISIS has some kind of pact/truce with him, sooner or later they'll turn on him though. You should see what they did in Libya, they were allies with the anti Haftar brigade in Tripoli, it didn't last long though, sooner or later they turned on the "infidels" and started doing suicide bomb attacks in Tripoli. Mind you, the militia's that control Tripoli are Islamist militia's too, they're just not at the extreme side of the spectrum, so the extremists considers them infidels too.

You know how much I was against Gedaffi, right? If the choice had to be between him and IS extremists, I'd choose Gedaffi every day.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
NOW all of this is irrelevant, give us your practical solutions to this, what is the best way you see Syria out of this?
Honestly, I don't think I'm in any position to really talk about this, I only know a minimum about the entire middle east conflict, the myriads of interconnections, different movements, tribes, rebel groups, etc.

If I still have to, I'd say that even though Assad is not really any better, less brutal or deadly for the Syrians right now (and probably the next few years), I do believe that the long term future looks better with Assad winning. And unfortunately it really seems to be either ISIS or Assad at the moment (again, with my limited knowledge on the matter), with "none" not being a realistic option. What I mean is that with an Assad regime in place, changes for the better can be implemented easier than with an ISIS controlled Syria, where I'd hardly see any room for improvements that don't involve military conflict once more, with all the ramifications we see right now as well.

@Ocelot, you may be too new to the forums to know my views about Assad prior to the surfacing of ISIS, but I was completely with the revolution and completely against Bashar. But unfortunately in Syria right now, we are in the unfortunate situation where the two parties vying for power are two terrible solutions for the country, the choice has to be made, which is the lesser of two evils.
Agreed, my original point was rather that in this present conflict, Assad is pretty much just as terrible & brutal as ISIS. Assad only seems to be the better option for after this conflict, which is what I guess you meant as well.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Honestly, I don't think I'm in any position to really talk about this, I only know a minimum about the entire middle east conflict, the myriads of interconnections, different movements, tribes, rebel groups, etc.

If I still have to, I'd say that even though Assad is not really any better, less brutal or deadly for the Syrians right now (and probably the next few years), I do believe that the long term future looks better with Assad winning. And unfortunately it really seems to be either ISIS or Assad at the moment (again, with my limited knowledge on the matter), with "none" not being a realistic option. What I mean is that with an Assad regime in place, changes for the better can be implemented easier than with an ISIS controlled Syria, where I'd hardly see any room for improvements that don't involve military conflict once more, with all the ramifications we see right now as well.

Agreed, my original point was rather that in this present conflict, Assad is pretty much just as terrible & brutal as ISIS. Assad only seems to be the better option for after this conflict, which is what I guess you meant as well.
:tup:

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010

Fred my man. Best post of this thread.

We don't like backing Assad over ISIS, but it's the case of the lesser evils. Assad is the closest thing Syria gets to a democracy for many years to come.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Fred my man. Best post of this thread.

We don't like backing Assad over ISIS, but it's the case of the lesser evils. Assad is the closest thing Syria gets to a democracy for many years to come.
Thanks man.

I'd say he's the closest to stability though, definitely not the closest to democracy :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)