Syrian civil war (3 Viewers)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
How's Snoop doing?
i hope he and his family are safe!! i wish he would post to at least let us know he is ok. i know he hates this topic and i dont blame him. hopefully things get resolved bec the price for all this is actually getting out of hand and the people are the ones paying the hefty price.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
i hope he and his family are safe!! i wish he would post to at least let us know he is ok. i know he hates this topic and i dont blame him. hopefully things get resolved bec the price for all this is actually getting out of hand and the people are the ones paying the hefty price.
I'm pretty inclined to agree with him on the subject. You have to respect Syria's sovereignty and considering the Bashar regime has majority support among its citizens, he is the legitimate leader of Syria. Both sides are responsible for unspeakable atrocities but consider the outcome of this conflict - toppling Assad's regime will fuel sectarian violence and although the revolutionary movement was once a reflection of syrian grievances its cause has now been conflated with radical islamic interests. With the Syrian people in mind, Assad will bring about stability and govern a secular state which in my mind ought to be supported rather than gambling on the unknown and potentially dire alternative.

Good to know he's alright.

Jul 2, 2006
I'm pretty inclined to agree with him on the subject. You have to respect Syria's sovereignty and considering the Bashar regime has majority support among its citizens, he is the legitimate leader of Syria. Both sides are responsible for unspeakable atrocities but consider the outcome of this conflict - toppling Assad's regime will fuel sectarian violence and although the revolutionary movement was once a reflection of syrian grievances its cause has now been conflated with radical islamic interests. With the Syrian people in mind, Assad will bring about stability and govern a secular state which in my mind ought to be supported rather than gambling on the unknown and potentially dire alternative.

Good to know he's alright.
No and no.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
And him being the son of Hafez Assad who ruled Syria for 30 years after two successive coup d'état.

When Hafez died, the minimum age for presidential candidates was lowered from 40 to 34 (Bashar's age when he was "elected").

But yeah, he's the legitimate leader of the Syrian people.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
what are the grounds of his legitimacy?
The Syrian people...

Alawites(%15 of the Syrian population), Iran, Russia, China.
It's not even funny.

And him being the son of Hafez Assad who ruled Syria for 30 years after two successive coup d'état.

When Hafez died, the minimum age for presidential candidates was lowered from 40 to 34 (Bashar's age when he was "elected").

What do you know about the Syrian people regarding this matter, if I may ask?!

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Looks like Assad is winning the war right now, which is a good thing in my opinion if you compare the lesser of two evils. When the protests began, I was so naive to think that this was a struggle of freedom and democracy, only to find out the rebels were foreign backed terrorists and eating hearts and declared they wanted Syria to become a Theocracy with their "Salafist" views...yeah, cause that sounds like a great idea in 2013.

Assad isn't that bad either compared to the rest of the clowns in the Arab world. Secular idealogy, economy was good and cheap etc...sure he's no saint, but the pros outweigh the cons by so much compared to other Arab dictators. Perhaps if this was a legitimate overthrow by actual Syrians, I would have been more supportive, but a foreign back militancy is not a revolution for the people, it's hostile takeover. Especially when they reject any sort of peace-process to at least talk about the future.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
RAMI¹⁰;4185950 said:
The Syrian people...

It's not even funny.

What do you know about the Syrian people regarding this matter, if I may ask?!

the elections which got him in power were a complete farce, this whole thing started because he would not let the Syrian peoplele have
a voice.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
the elections which got him in power were a complete farce, this whole thing started because he would not let the Syrian peoplele have
a voice
How could you know that?!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Assad is winning the war right now, which is a good thing in my opinion if you compare the lesser of two evils. When the protests began, I was so naive to think that this was a struggle of freedom and democracy, only to find out the rebels were foreign backed terrorists and eating hearts and declared they wanted Syria to become a Theocracy with their "Salafist" views...yeah, cause that sounds like a great idea in 2013.

Assad isn't that bad either compared to the rest of the clowns in the Arab world. Secular idealogy, economy was good and cheap etc...sure he's no saint, but the pros outweigh the cons by so much compared to other Arab dictators. Perhaps if this was a legitimate overthrow by actual Syrians, I would have been more supportive, but a foreign back militancy is not a revolution for the people, it's hostile takeover. Especially when they reject any sort of peace-process to at least talk about the future.
Spot on. After two years of blood and terrorism, people still think this is a revolution or as they like to call it "The Arab spring", where it became very clear that those rebels are backed by the US, EU and the gulf countries!
What kind of revolution that destroys the infrastructure of their country, blows up hospitals, factories and schools?!!!

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
RAMI¹⁰;4186247 said:
Spot on. After two years of blood and terrorism, people still think this is a revolution or as they like to call it "The Arab spring", where it became very clear that those rebels are backed by the US, EU and the gulf countries!
What kind of revolution that destroys the infrastructure of their country, blows up hospitals, factories and schools?!!!
History tells us that most revolutions are like this.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
RAMI¹⁰;4184868 said:
Of course, you both know more than Syrians themselves...
My friend, you and I both know well Bashar has no majority support like Nenna claimed. He even lost the Christian support, not all but a lot of them. What's left for us to do is some math and statistics. :smile:

If I'm not mistaken, not a single person out of 10+ millions voted against him during his first election.

- - - Updated - - -

RAMI¹⁰;4186247 said:
And you didn't expect it Rami? The regime is backed by Iran, Hezbollah fighter, Russia and China and I myself expected it. It's how things are.

Also I don't understand when Syrians are questioning the acts of rebels/terrorists/revolutionists or whatever they call them, how can you question their acts and never your own regime when it's been the same 40years regime terrorizing their people?

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Also I don't understand when Syrians are questioning the acts of rebels/terrorists/revolutionists or whatever they call them, how can you question their acts and never your own regime when it's been the same 40years regime terrorizing their people?

Hey Rab, can you by any chance name any instance where Bashar terrorized anyone since he came into power before the protests ?

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
how do you know he exists, listen man trust me when I say I know a thing or two about misdirection, you have to be a complete fool to think bashar's rule and his ascent are legitimate.
Fair enough. Its probable that he has rigged every election he has contested. Even if he isn't the legitimate leader of Syria, when a countries population has to decide between stability and chaos its pretty clear what they will choose. Both sides are committing unspeakable terror but while the 'revolution' now provides a proxy for western interests and (what is much worse) a wider Jihadist movement, Assad is fighting to maintain what you would think would be the interests of Syrian citizens - a stable economy and a secular society.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)