Sven Names England WC Squad - Big Shock! (1 Viewer)

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Sven defends squad decision
England Coach Sven Goran Eriksson has defender his decision to include injured duo Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney in his World Cup squad. The former Lazio boss listed his provisional squad yesterday, picking just four strikers. That list includes the uncapped Theo Walcott and Liverpool’s Peter Crouch. “We are talking about Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney and we are still weeks away from the World Cup,” he said. “Not picking them now would mean not putting them on the FIFA list next Monday. That would be crazy. Maybe if Wayne had been fit we would have even chosen one less striker.”

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Matteo10 said:
No way in hell that's a good squad. I'm sorry but how you people have the guts to call an England squad without Darren Bent a good squad is beyond me.
Bent's had a good season, but so did Andy Johnson before him, and James Beattie, Marcus Stewart and Kevin Phillips before him. Bent will get his chance, but he's untested. I don't like Crouch any more than most, but he's a very different player to Owen, and that's probably why he's been picked.

Bent and Defoe can feel sore, but they've been screwed by the formation Sven is thinking of as much as anything.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
mikhail said:
Bent's had a good season, but so did Andy Johnson before him, and James Beattie, Marcus Stewart and Kevin Phillips before him. Bent will get his chance, but he's untested. I don't like Crouch any more than most, but he's a very different player to Owen, and that's probably why he's been picked.

Bent and Defoe can feel sore, but they've been screwed by the formation Sven is thinking of as much as anything.
Completely correct. Without Rooney Eriksson is planning on playing with only a single striker (Owen if fit, with Crouch off the bench). Taking Bent or Defoe are therefore uneccessary but if Owen has fitness problems expect Defoe to be drafted in as Walcott is not there as an option like that.

Here'w what Eriksson is going to do:

Robinson;
Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A.Cole;
Beckham, Carrick, Lampard;
Gerrard, Owen, J.Cole

That way he solves the problem of how little strikers England has by only needing one. If they are behind he can switch to 4-4-2 and throw Crouch on for long-balls. Otherwise he uses Gerrard and Joe Cole in more advanced positions which gets the best out of both players and also Lampard who has cancelled out Gerrard before in the middle. He then has Downing and Lennon as extra options for the wings if needed. Walcott too could fit in there but it depends how he performs in friendlies - either way they are merely substitute players.

I think that team is actually better balanced then the team he would have chosen if Rooney was fit. Still not contenders for the World Cup though.

Matteo..

Apr 30, 2006
mikhail said:

Bent has been far more tested than Lennon and Walcott.

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
Lennon has to go to the world cup, if he goes at the cost of Bent then so be it. The decision to bring Walcott is somewhat discussable, though I understand Sven like to bring some fresh blood to the World Cup. Would be cool to get another "Rooney sensation" from England this year.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Matteo10 said:
Bent has been far more tested than Lennon and Walcott.
Lennon and Bent are not comparable players.

Walcott yes, but that's another matter. If Sven's motives for bringing him are as stated, it's not a footballing decision. Besides, I doubt the kid will play much if at all.

Katil said:
Lennon has to go to the world cup, if he goes at the cost of Bent then so be it. The decision to bring Walcott is somewhat discussable, though I understand Sven like to bring some fresh blood to the World Cup.
In fairness, Walcott isn't fresh blood. He's barely plasma! :wink: He's there to train - get experience.
Would be cool to get another "Rooney sensation" from England this year.
Rooney had a lot more Premiership football under him when he went to the Euros.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Rooney 'making perfect recovery'

England's team doctor says Wayne Rooney is making a "perfect recovery" from his broken foot and has every chance of playing at this summer's World Cup.

The 20-year-old Manchester United striker will have a scan on the injury on 25 May to check its progress.

However, Leif Sward told The Sun: "Everything points to a perfect recovery. I have the highest hopes for Rooney and the World Cup.

"I hope I can give a perfect answer after the next MRI scan on Thursday."

I hope everything has healed good - everything points in that direction
Dr Leif Sward
Rooney's World Cup place was put in doubt when he suffered the broken bone playing for United at Chelsea on 24 April - and initial reports said he would be out for at least six weeks.

Since then, he has spent time in an oxygen chamber to encourage the bone to heal more quickly and has been named in England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson's 23-man World Cup squad.

He has not kicked a ball since suffering the injury and Sward said this would remain the rule until it was entirely safe for the forward to do so.

"He is not allowed to do that or anything else that could make his foot worse before Thursday's examination," he said.

"But he can put pressure on his foot now with the special protection he is wearing.

"I hope everything has healed well and I can say everything points in that direction.

"This healing process has been very, very good."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5003336.stm

Published: 2006/05/21 23:44:29 GMT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)