Sven Names England WC Squad - Big Shock! (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Sven names England World Cup Squad

England coach Sven Goran Eriksson has named a preliminary 23-man squad with five players on stand-by ahead of this summer's World Cup finals in Germany.

The Swede has selected Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing, Tottenham youngster Aaron Lennon and untried rookie Theo Walcott of Arsenal.

Walcott's inclusion will rock the football world as he has yet to even make one Premiership appearance since joining The Gunners from Championship side Southampton.

Lennon's fine end-of-season form has earned him inclusion in the provisional squad at the expense of Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips, who is not even on the stand-by list.

Downing will add the balance to the left-hand side, but it is Walcott's inclusion as one of the four strikers which has created the most ripples.

Jermain Defoe, a regular in the squad over the past two seasons, is only on stand-by, while Charlton Athletic's Darren Bent has been overlooked.

Eriksson has opted not to gamble on the fitness of Ledley King, who has recently suffered a foot injury, while Manchester United defender Wes Brown is also absent.

The England coach has picked five players to be on stand-by - Liverpool's rookie keeper Scott Carson, Charlton full back Luke Young, West Ham midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker, Defoe and Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson.

England squad:
Paul Robinson (Tottenham), David James (Manchester City), Robert Green (Norwich); Gary Neville (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), John Terry (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Sol Campbell (Arsenal), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea); David Beckham (Real Madrid), Michael Carrick (Tottenham), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham); Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Michael Owen (Newcastle), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Stand-by: Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    What an idiot! He called Walcott and left out Defoe. If I was English I'd be fuming.

Jul 28, 2002
    Good moves all round. If rooney/owen arent fit for the Wc, defoe and johnson can come in....however it should be bent not the later.

Theo and lennon will add something every team hates....incredible pace.

The only quam is that bent isnt in the squad. Good allrounder, top scoring englishmen...shoe in imho.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    im not surprised he as gone with most of these guys through qualifying and he had already made up his mind............I think the eariler you name your team the eariler your players can concentrate to the task at hand.

Jul 28, 2002
    Stuart said:
    What an idiot! He called Walcott and left out Defoe. If I was English I'd be fuming.
    Im not, defo is average at best. Isnt a goal poacher, but more of a micco create type player. He has been poor over all for spurs imho this season.

Walcott is the wild card....which satisfies me thanks to a little wager i had early in the season.

Jul 28, 2002
    Morra10 said:
    im not surprised he as gone with most of these guys through qualifying and he had already made up his mind............I think the eariler you name your team the eariler your players can concentrate to the task at hand.
    Ill have to disagree, sven has played some outsiders to his standard squad, the likes of lennon and theo even downing hadnt feature much or at all for sven.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    Stuart said:
    Overall im quite happy... Defoe is overrated tripe so i dont miss him at all..

My only qualms are that luke young is missing & Bent should have been in in place of crouch, who i would have completely removed from the squad and replaced on the reserve list with ashton...

Very happy that downing has a place and that lennon comes instead of phillips

Gep

The Guv'nor
    Jun 12, 2005
    Walcott will be a amazing player! He really will one day but not now by a long way. I can see what svens trying to do here but hes seriously being a idiot. Dropping their most natural goal scorer in Defoe is madness.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    I can't believe some of you are actually glad that Walcott is in the squad. Defoe and Bent are much better players. Walcott has how much Premiership appearances to his name? That's right, none. Lennon and Downing are understandable, good choices actually, but Walcott?

Matteo..

Apr 30, 2006
    Respaul said:
    Overall im quite happy... Defoe is overrated tripe so i dont miss him at all..

My only qualms are that luke young is missing & Bent should have been in in place of crouch, who i would have completely removed from the squad and replaced on the reserve list with ashton...

Very happy that downing has a place and that lennon comes instead of phillips
    Come on, Walcott's a joke. You simply cannot select a player who hasn't played a single game at this level. Eriksson should be reprimanded for this as it's an insult to every talented striker there is in England. I'm thoroughly disgusted with this.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    Matteo10 said:
    My thought exactly. Bent didn't even make the reserves FFS!!
    Thankfully I don't support England. Leaving out Bent altogether when Crouch and Walcott are in the squad is madness.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    Stuart said:
    I can't believe some of you are actually glad that Walcott is in the squad. Defoe and Bent are much better players. Walcott has how much Premiership appearances to his name? That's right, none. Lennon and Downing are understandable, good choices actually, but Walcott?
    Im not saying im glad walcott is in the squad, and i agree that bent should definately be there... (defoe i relly dont see the fuss about)... However, walcott is an interesting choice... an unknown quantity... and for once thoughi admit he wouldnt have been on my list (but then neither would defoe) I agree with sven when he says that with a 23 man squad you can afford one risk... you never know...

Overall im pretty happy with the squad...

Matteo..

Apr 30, 2006
    Stuart said:
    Thankfully I don't support England. Leaving out Bent altogether when Crouch and Walcott are in the squad is madness.
    Wonder what the BBC-squad will have got to say about this. Can't imagine them being too happy.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    Matteo10 said:
    Come on, Walcott's a joke. You simply cannot select a player who hasn't played a single game at this level. Eriksson should be reprimanded for this as it's an insult to every talented striker there is in England. I'm thoroughly disgusted with this.
    Can you imagine how Darren Bent must feel? He worked hard this season and scored a commendable amount of goals and what does Sven do? Call up a teenager who sat on the bench at Arsenal for the last 5 months.

Gep

The Guv'nor
    Jun 12, 2005
    People are scared of what they dont know. Fact! Unleash theo who obviously doesnt need any games to show the world what talent this boys got. He wont even play in the world cup trust me, so stop wetting your pants. Sven isnt that insane.

Matteo..

Apr 30, 2006
    Respaul said:
    Im not saying im glad walcott is in the squad, and i agree that bent should definately be there... (defoe i relly dont see the fuss about)... However, walcott is an interesting choice... an unknown quantity... and for once thoughi admit he wouldnt have been on my list (but then neither would defoe) I agree with sven when he says that with a 23 man squad you can afford one risk... you never know...

Overall im pretty happy with the squad...
    You can't afford one risk when you're already taking huge risks in the offensive department. Really, he should have gone with a certainty in the form of Bent or Defoe, who I admit is quite inconsistent at times, but seems to be in shape ATM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)