Summer Mercato Thread 2020-21 (55 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Resale value means nothing if your striker is going to provide you with some shitty numbers. We need instant quality, which Dzeko provides surely, and not profit from the sale which is something that clubs like Roma chase.

There's simply no way Milik (and not many better options out there apparently) would provide more quality than Dzeko. Imo not even half of it.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Resale value means nothing if your striker is going to provide you with some shitty numbers. We need instant quality, which Dzeko provides surely, and not profit from the sale which is something that clubs like Roma chase.

There's simply no way Milik (and not many better options out there apparently) would provide more quality than Dzeko. Imo not even half of it.
I disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Milik, other than his reccuring injuries, is quite a decent player imo.

- - - Updated - - -

And stop referring to Dzeko as if he is still in his prime, because he is not anymore, overall i'd obviously rate Dzeko as the better between the two based on their careers and output but not right now, and even resale value aside, he is simply long past his best years. This days he is a Llorente with a stronger shot and better ball control.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

And stop referring to Dzeko as if he is still in his prime, because he is not anymore, overall i'd obviously rate Dzeko as the better between the two based on their careers and output but not right now, and even resale value aside, he is simply long past his best years. This days he is a Llorente with a stronger shot and better ball control.
Maybe not in his prime but even at this point he's capable of scoring 20 goals in Serie A which is more than enough.

Despite Milik being decent Dzeko is just a better player by miles imo, even at this point.

Jun 16, 2020
I disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that Milik is quite decent. I was hoping for a swap with Berna, but at that point I thought that the idea was to sign a 9 as backup for Dybala.

Now I came to realize that we’re going to use a striker, so if I had the choice quality wise between Milik and Dzeko I’d choose Dzeko without a doubt.

I also doubt that Napoli would accept a 25m bid from us.

And with Dzeko, yeah another player with no resale value. But I think he’s fitter and better. Practically all names that were linked to us have been pretty underwhelming. Dzeko is a expensive investment but I think he fits the best of all those names.

Last edited:

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Milik is decent but with decent you dont win trophies..
Dzeko is light years ahead of Milik.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Maybe not in his prime but even at this point he's capable of scoring 20 goals in Serie A which is more than enough.

Despite Milik being decent Dzeko is just a better player by miles imo, even at this point.
Well said, but would you not take into consideration that Roma had ZERO other players capable of scoring more than 5-10goals per season during this time? Most of their play had him as the target-man and main goalscoring threat so almost every atacking ball was set up/aimed at him whereas if he comes here is supposed to give support and lay it off for CR7 & Dybala, i don't expect him to score here more than Mandzukic used to for example, and for clear reasons.

I couldn't care less in fact about the goals as long as he turns out to be a good team player helping the rest score and express themselfs, but frankly what bothers me is the fact he has zero speed and pace left in him and that's something we already have plenty of so i can't help but feel that this move could potentially make us even more slow/predictable up-front.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Dzeko can provide quality in tough CL games. Milik cannot.

Case closed.

But i'm hoping for something under the radar. Something that will catch us all of guard.
In the past few years he barelly even provided enough quality in tough Europa league games....

Also just to clear the air a bit, i'd rather none tbf, Milik in fact i dislike and rate less, Dzeko i actually like and overall rate higher, but atm i like him where he is and definitely not for a starting role here, i just feel we should be lookin somewhere else but obviously current circumstances don't give us much of a choice.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Well said, but would you not take into consideration that Roma had ZERO other players capable of scoring more than 5-10goals per season during this time? Most of their play had him as the target-man and main goalscoring threat so almost every atacking ball was set up/aimed at him whereas if he comes here is supposed to give support and lay it off for CR7 & Dybala, i don't expect him to score here more than Mandzukic used to for example, and for clear reasons.

I couldn't care less in fact about the goals as long as he turns out to be a good team player helping the rest score and express themselfs, but frankly what bothers me is the fact he has zero speed and pace left in him and that's something we already have plenty of so i can't help but feel that this move could potentially make us even more slow/predictable up-front.
If anything, honestly, I think Dzeko could't shine to his potential because Roma has limited players. I'm pretty sure he would have scored a whole lot more here (during his stay in Rome, not just last season). But yeah, I don't expect him to score as much, especially with Ronaldo upfront, but I do expect him to help a bunch, creating space for other(s) next to him, winning air duels and simply keeping the ball front, waiting for a build up.

We'll see how it goes. I might be wrong. But I think he's going to be one of our best buys and quality added is gonna be instant, plus the synergy with Ronaldo and Dybala is gonna be simply perfect imo. I have two things that worry me only:

1) I don't like the fact that both Ronaldo and Dzeko are quite old and we'll need to replace both at the same time sadly. Such players require heavy replacements, meaning heavy cashing. In order to replace the two we'll literally have to chase Mbappe. Others won't fill the gap surely.
2) I have literally ZERO concern with our froward line if we grab Dzeko. However, I'm scared shitless about our mid department. It's gonna be scary and a HUUUUGE gamble if we have settled with what we currently have. I have a huge question mark over Arthur plus Rabiot is 50-50. THAT is what worries me.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
If anything, honestly, I think Dzeko could't shine to his potential because Roma has limited players. I'm pretty sure he would have scored a whole lot more here (during his stay in Rome, not just last season). But yeah, I don't expect him to score as much, especially with Ronaldo upfront, but I do expect him to help a bunch, creating space for other(s) next to him, winning air duels and simply keeping the ball front, waiting for a build up.

We'll see how it goes. I might be wrong. But I think he's going to be one of our best buys and quality added is gonna be instant, plus the synergy with Ronaldo and Dybala is gonna be simply perfect imo. I have two things that worry me only:

1) I don't like the fact that both Ronaldo and Dzeko are quite old and we'll need to replace both at the same time sadly. Such players require heavy replacements, meaning heavy cashing. In order to replace the two we'll literally have to chase Mbappe. Others won't fill the gap surely.
2) I have literally ZERO concern with our froward line if we grab Dzeko. However, I'm scared shitless about our mid department. It's gonna be scary and a HUUUUGE gamble if we have settled with what we currently have. I have a huge question mark over Arthur plus Rabiot is 50-50. THAT is what worries me.

I do agree that there are so many variables that we can really never know how it can go... in fact i'm not even a Dzeko hater at all, if he does come here he will have all my support and hope that he will do well, but from a realistic point of view this move is wrong from many angles and could even be perceived as a good one from other perspectives, however there is no doubt this is a gamble whatever way we look at it, both financially and in terms of what the player is still capable to offer, but i guess in this case only time will tell.

Again, just wished we would have a bit better planning and not end up as in this particular situation having to chase another 35yo with the idea of him actually starting for us almost about right after wasting up his best/prime years with Roma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)