Summer Mercato Thread 2020-21 (384 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Would you prefer a flashy signing? Or let's say a Zaniolo and Pellegrini? Adding a Tonali or Aouar would probably be too much on top of that but maybe not?
Flashy doesn't mean anything to me. Obviously Pogba adds a lot of quality, provided he is focused and fit, but it's a gamble maybe not worth taking in this environment.

Pjanic and Rabiot out leaves space for two. I see Pogba, Aouar, Zaniolo, Pellegrini and Tonali as all playing in a mezzala role with Sarri, so you will probably only see one of these players join. Cost probably also dictates that, Pellegrini aside. If Khedira were somehow to be convinced to release his vice-like grip then you could bring in two. If Pjanic leaves then realistically you need someone to play DLP, as Bentancur can play there but is a little wasted, and there is no reserve.

It seems likely that we will see at least 4, and as many as 7 player changes in the next window. Maybe now is time for the midfield overhaul. We started it with Kulusevski and look to be pressing with more.

As an example:

OUT
Rabiot
Pjanic
Bernardeschi
Khedira

IN
Jorginho
Pogba
Mandragora

Bentancur - Jorginho - Pogba
(Kulusevski) (Mandragora) (Ramsey) (Matuidi)

That's 7 players for three spots, but also 3 of those players can be used as wide attackers or as an AM, so it gives options.

I wouldn't get rid of DC, nor do I think it will happen in the next window. If you get rid of DC then you have to look at someone like Chiesa. I don't think Boga plays RW at all.

For right back, I believe Danilo and Cuadrado will rotate again, plus Demiral can play there as a defensive right back. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't sign a right back. We'll probably make a future right back signing next season, to be used the season after next. At that point Cuadrado will be 34 and probably lost most of his speed.

Pellegrini coming in to replace MDS makes most sense, but we've seen before we go light in those areas, and may even stick with Alex Sandro and Danilo as left back options only (with Matuidi an emergency).

Idea as a depth chart:

GK) Szczesny, Buffon, Pinsoglio (3)
DR) Danilo, Cuadrado, Demiral (3)
DC) De Ligt, Chiellini, Bonucci, Demiral, Rugani/Kumbulla (5)
DL) Alex Sandro, Danilo, [Pellegrini] (2/3)
RCM) Bentancur, Kulusevski, Ramsey (3)
DM) Jorginho, Mandragora, Bentancur (3)
LCM) Pogba, Matuidi, Ramsey, Mandragora (4)
AM) Ramsey, Pogba, Kulusevski, Dybala (4)
RW) Dybala, Douglas Costa, Kulusevski, Cuadrado (4)
LW) Ronaldo, Douglas Costa, Ramsey (3)
CF) Higuain, Ronaldo, Dybala (3)

Personally I don't see us signing Pogba at all, so you could swap him with one of the other options.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Kumbulla joining us next year means Demiral isnt being sold and he will be available once Chiello retires or a year after. He will have another season to develop as a player.

I do like Pellegrini too, because it means Matuidi wont be playing. :xfingers:

We dont need magic from midfielders leave that to our wingers and attackers. We need midfielders who are above average in passing, running, defending, and making sure they dont fuck up our attacks *Matuidi.

P.S. I love Matuidi he is such a positive lad and hardworking player. But ive seen way too many times Ronaldo getting pissed or refusing to pass him the ball.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Flashy doesn't mean anything to me. Obviously Pogba adds a lot of quality, provided he is focused and fit, but it's a gamble maybe not worth taking in this environment.

Pjanic and Rabiot out leaves space for two. I see Pogba, Aouar, Zaniolo, Pellegrini and Tonali as all playing in a mezzala role with Sarri, so you will probably only see one of these players join. Cost probably also dictates that, Pellegrini aside. If Khedira were somehow to be convinced to release his vice-like grip then you could bring in two. If Pjanic leaves then realistically you need someone to play DLP, as Bentancur can play there but is a little wasted, and there is no reserve.

It seems likely that we will see at least 4, and as many as 7 player changes in the next window. Maybe now is time for the midfield overhaul. We started it with Kulusevski and look to be pressing with more.

As an example:

OUT
Rabiot
Pjanic
Bernardeschi
Khedira

IN
Jorginho
Pogba
Mandragora

That's 7 players for three spots, but also 3 of those players can be used as wide attackers or as an AM, so it gives options.

I wouldn't get rid of DC, nor do I think it will happen in the next window. If you get rid of DC then you have to look at someone like Chiesa. I don't think Boga plays RW at all.

For right back, I believe Danilo and Cuadrado will rotate again, plus Demiral can play there as a defensive right back. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't sign a right back. We'll probably make a future right back signing next season, to be used the season after next. At that point Cuadrado will be 34 and probably lost most of his speed.

Pellegrini coming in to replace MDS makes most sense, but we've seen before we go light in those areas, and may even stick with Alex Sandro and Danilo as left back options only (with Matuidi an emergency).

Idea as a depth chart:

Personally I don't see us signing Pogba at all, so you could swap him with one of the other options.
I'd be fine with this.

Swap Pellegrini for Mandragora and I'd be happy, I like Mandragora but think Pellegrini is a better player. Jorginho and Benta can cover that DM role.

Would you do the DC out Zaniolo in? If Pogba is impossible I'd like to get Tonali.

Last edited:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Kumbulla joining us next year means Demiral isnt being sold and he will be available once Chiello retires or a year after. He will have another season to develop as a player.

We dont need magic from midfielders leave that to our wingers and attackers. We need midfielders who are above average in passing, running, defending, and making sure they dont fuck up our attacks *Matuidi.

P.S. I love Matuidi he is such a positive lad and hardworking player. But ive seen way too many times Ronaldo getting pissed or refusing to pass him the ball.
Best post I've read here in a while props detective bodyguard

TheLaz

Oct 6, 2011

As an example:

OUT
Rabiot
Pjanic
Bernardeschi
Khedira

IN
Jorginho
Pogba
Mandragora

Idea as a depth chart:

What a great post man! Really thoughtful stuff.

What do you make of Pogba contract expiration next summer? That's a huge factor in getting him now, right? Also, his desire to return might influence him accepting a pay cut, complying with our new salary cap of ~€8m.

Another big point is Zaniolo. His ability to play both as a mezzala and a RW, could allow us to ship DC this summer. Having both Zaniolo and Kulusevski more than competent RWs.

On Higuain I think we should keep him. He's good for a rotation role, and links up very well with Dybala and the others. That goal with Dybala was something else – got himself another year in my book.

I don't think Mandragora will return though. If we could somehow move him to Roma in a Pellegrini deal I'd do it.

Also, I don't see the point in Kumbulla. We're stacked in CB, and I'd spend every penny improving the midfield.

OUT
Rabiot
Pjanic
Bernardeschi
Khedira
Douglas Costa

IN
Jorginho
Pogba
Pellegrini
Zaniolo

DR) Cuadrado, Danilo, Demiral (3)
DC) De Ligt, Bonucci, Demiral, Chiellini, Rugani (5)
DL) Alex Sandro, Danilo, Pellegrini (2/3)
RCM) Bentancur, Kulusevski, Zaniolo, Ramsey (3)
DM) Jorginho, Bentancur (2)
LCM) Pogba, Pellegrini, Matuidi (3)
AM) Zaniolo, Ramsey, Pellegrini, Kulusevski (4)
RW) Kulusevski/Zaniolo, Cuadrado (3)
CF) Dybala, Higuain, Ronaldo (3)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007

A midfield that isn't static is something I've wanted for ages, moving the focal point of our play further forward as well.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
On Pogba, if United refuse to be reasonable, I wish Pogba runs down his contract with them and then joins us on a Bosman next year. Would love to see an egg on those arrogant Utd supporters' faces.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I wouldn't tbh unless he was cheap and we have no other alternative.
I wanted him to stay another year in Rome, coming over with expectations and a year of recovery ahead wouldn't be ideal but like you said if some sort of bargain buy is possible then yes I would.

I want us to do the Berna Pellegrini swap if possible however. Or get Tonali, I think it's a risk worth taking. Although the crop of Italian talent has been limited as of late it would be great for us to get our hands on these prospects. It's always easier building the spine of our team with italians as they are so much easier to hold onto. Provided they develop into quality, juve calibre players.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I wanted him to stay another year in Rome, coming over with expectations and a year of recovery ahead wouldn't be ideal but like you said if some sort of bargain buy is possible then yes I would.

I want us to do the Berna Pellegrini swap if possible however. Or get Tonali, I think it's a risk worth taking. Although the crop of Italian talent has been limited as of late it would be great for us to get our hands on these prospects. It's always easier building the spine of our team with italians as they are so much easier to hold onto. Provided they develop into quality, juve calibre players.
You don't think tonali and bentancur are similar? Obviously the passing is not there but i feel tonali would mean benching bentancur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 383)