Summer Mercato Thread 2019-20 (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
I looked back a few pages and didn't see any discussions on Rugani getting swapped to Roma for Riccardi. Thoughts?

I've seen a little of Riccardi at U-19 tournaments and he looks very very good. The jewel of Roma's youth setup supposedly.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Totally get Ruccardi for Rugani in whatever form the deal takes. Rugani has lost his place, it's normal to sell him. Riccardi looks about as good as a primavera player can, iirc he destroyed our primavera a while back.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
i suppose its necessary as roma probably cant come up with 30-40mil straight cash so including their best youth prospect to cut down liquid cash is how we avoid having to send him there on loan

Mar 3, 2014
Financial Fair Play (FFP) was established by UEFA to make sure that football clubs were not spending more than they earned and, in doing so, prevent them from falling into financial troubles which may endanger their long-term survival – and, in their words, "improve the overall financial health of European football".
Unfortunately, that isn't what it accomplished. In order to grow, a company must invest, regardless of the industry. Some industries require more investment than others. Football is highly capital intensive. Teams like PSG, Chelsea, and Man City made it big by investing for several years at deficits (Amazon did this, and Netflix is doing this). And this is ok, as long as the owners are willing to put in the equity, and there is an eventual point when the team can be self-sustained. FFP ended this. Why? Because they limited losses, even if you make up the loss with equity investment. You should never cap equity investment. Milan is the perfect example. They were completely recapitalized, and used new equity to buy players, and they're out of the Europa league.
Then you have big teams that break the rules, that don't even need to spend in deficit anymore, and they don't even get punished. It's a stupid system that will not stop Parma's from occurring. Because fact is, that if you're a perennial European contender (ie: will actually be affected by the rules) or you're a team that has growth prospects and are investing in big players, you can probably sell your players if you end up in financial distress or your owners stop supporting you. You probably also have significant brand value. And worse? Their punishment if the team is actually in distress just makes things 10x worse by cutting out European competition revenue, which is crucial for any non-english team.

FFP is an idiot concept that prevents investment. It doesn't stop bankruptcies like Parma. It stops the elite from being challenged. And when the elite break the rules (as long as they have enough clout like PSG), they won't get punished. All it does is maintain the status quo, and over the long term will strengthen the english teams. If this continues, there will be a European Super League within 15 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Re the last paragraph, how would that play with the general public in Italy?
Probably not great...

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
Agree about offloading. Would you be down with the Rakitic if we got rid of some of our dead weight?
He has the technic and vision to play as a btb under Sarri. So in that regard he would fit in well. After seeing him last year I doubt he has the legs for it, but I guess as a back-up for Ramsey he would be okay.

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11,597
    We'll meet again with Roma tomorrow. 20/25m + 2 youngsters Riccardi and Celar. Need to see if it's an option or obligation to buy. Also a possibility to make it a Kean like deal. :gdm:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    We'll meet again with Roma tomorrow. 20/25m + 2 youngsters Riccardi and Celar. Need to see if it's an option or obligation to buy. Also a possibility to make it a Kean like deal. :gdm:
    so let me get this straight... we are loaning rugani with option/obligation?

do we get to keep the youth players either way?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)